Looking for exceptional recordings of upright string bass

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Lots of greats on the list.
I have also discovered another contemporary jaxx bassist with high quality recordings,
Curtis Lundy:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm surprised that nobody has brought Christian McBride into this thread. Some good stuff from him.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Kurt,

I don't know whether you like classical music or not. Even if you are not much attracted to it, I would strongly recommend that you get J. S. Bach's cello suites played by Yo Yo Ma, one of the best cellists at present. There is a lot of upper bass content in that recording.
The recording is recent and amazing and that music can be classified as some type of easy listening stuff. If you don't know Bach's music, you would happen to get acquainted with one of the masterpieces of one of the top musical geniuses at his best:

Cheers,
André

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Kurt,

I don't know whether you like classical music or not. Even if you are not much attracted to it, I would strongly recommend that you get J. S. Bach's cello suites played by Yo Yo Ma, one of the best cellists at present. There is a lot of upper bass content in that recording.
The recording is recent and amazing and that music can be classified as some type of easy listening stuff. If you don't know Bach's music, you would happen to get acquainted with one of the masterpieces of one of the top musical geniuses at his best:

Cheers,
André
How would that compare to Pablo Casals' recordings of same?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
How would that compare to Pablo Casals' recordings of same?
First, Casals' recording cannot compare as it dates. Also, Ma's interpretation is considered as superior by most critics, so is Pierre Fournier's on DGG. I am not an expert but just reporting what I have read.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First, Casals' recording cannot compare as it dates. Also, Ma's interpretation is considered as superior by most critics, so is Pierre Fournier's on DGG. I am not an expert but just reporting what I have read.
Thanks. My dad had a full set of those on lp and was one of just a few classical works he had I liked to play. While mono and an old recording (30s IIRC) it was still quite listenable but is the only one I've heard, aside from a cleaned up digital version I have now. I'll check out the Yo-Yo Ma version soon....I do like some recordings he's done, just never really went looking.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Similarly, I have the Bach Cello Suites and Sonatas performed by Janos Starker on Mercury Living Presence. Recorded in '63 and '65, they remind me a lot of old Blue Note recordings... great performances held back ever so slightly by the time.
On one hand, I hate the idea of finding a different recording because these performances are really great, but the quality of the recording shows its limits.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis