Looking for Champage on a Beer budget? Here you go check these out

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi All!
Very recently I had the chance to audition the Mordaunt-Short Avant series loud speakers. First, I must admit that I had the preconceived notion that most low dollar speaker systems are not good performers. I know it sounds snobbish and elitist, but I was not expecting much from the Mordaunt-Short Avant. However, my preconceived notion got shot down very quickly during the listening session.

The system consists of (2) Avant 906 front mains, (1) Avant 905 center (2) MS903 Dipole surrounds and (1) 909 12” subwoofer. These speakers are absolutely mind blowing. I simply could not believe that I was listening to a system that was priced so aggressively. Here are some key things I remember about the listening experience, and yes it truly was an experience.

#1 These speakers are very dynamic. They have the ability to rock your world when needed and will
play even the most demanding multi-channel sound tracks in large rooms with little effort.
#2 The system is a tonal marvel. The front speakers, center speaker and the surrounds are a seamless
match and pans from left to right; front to rear; or all speakers playing at once in multi channel DVD-A or SACD blend perfectly and harmoniously.
#3 These speakers are articulate and revealing without sounding too forward or screechy. The bottom end is robust and tight without sounding boomy or sloppy. The 906’s in particular remind me of a speaker that I currently have that costs roughly three times more than the 906’s.
#4 These speakers are a fairly easy load. The 906’s are rated at 90dB. A good robust receiver like the Denon 3805 or Yamaha 2500 can drive these with no problem. I know this because I auditioned these on an RXV2400 receiver.
#5 The Avant speakers offer a very high level of build quality that you generally don't see in speakers at this price point.
#6 This is the most important part of my listening experience. After many many years of installing, selling, designing and demoing systems for people, it is very difficult for me to evaluate products and not be overly critical. I am very serious when I listen to speakers. I sit in an upright position and gaze straightforward. I am in an emotionless state. After the listening session, I usually pick them to pieces. Even the very good ones, including the ones I have, I am critical of. Listening to the Avant I found myself doing something I usually don't do. I was actually tapping my toes and bobbing my head to the music. I caught myself doing this several times during the listening experience. As you can tell, I like the Avant speakers very much. I truly think they are a high bang for the buck speaker. Do they have flaws? Sure, but no more than any other speaker costing three times the money. Check these out! You will be glad you did. I can, at this writing, think of no other speaker that I have auditioned recently including all those at CES and the Show that outperform the Avant at or above there perspective price points.
Ray

906 msrp $400 each
905 msrp $300 each
903 msrp $350 each
902 msrp $400 pair
909 msrp $900 each

Last edited:
S

spudrcr

Audiophyte
I could not find any prices, how much was the system you demoed. How would you compare to the Paradigm Studios or PSB Image speakers.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi
Thank you for pointing out the lack of pricing I have edited the post to show msrp at the bottom. Look for this in the Audioholics $12,000 system recommendation
Take your own material CD, DVD’s ect… pick things you have listened to many times
Listen to the other brands first if you need to audition in different places far apart take notes, Then listen to the Mordaunt-Short All of our ears are different but I am betting that you will know when you hear a well balanced speaker

C

calbear

Audiophyte
Ah, yes the Mordaunt-Short Avant series speakers

I have read many great reviews about the Mordaunt-Short Avant series speakers, but has any one in the USA purchased the speakers from a USA distributor or dealer? According to Mordauant-Short web page http://www.mordauntshort.com/main.asp there is only one USA distributor:
Marantz America, Inc.
1100 Maplewood Drive
Itasca
IL 60143

I found Marantz America, Inc.'s web site and sent them at least four "Contact Us" requests and have yet received a reply. Surprising since http://www.mordauntshort.com/support/index.asp states, "All our distributors around the world are committed to offering the highest levels of service and support for our Mordaunt-Short products." I have yet found this to be true. I even e-mailed Mordaunt-Short more than three times asking if Marantz America is still a distributor and have yet received a reply from them.

Not only do companines have to provide great speakers, but they must back them up with great customer support before one is a customer. In my experience, Mordaunt-Short has fallen short in support.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi
That is very suprising that you have not heard back from the e-mail system
PM me with your location and I will try to find out some info for you if you like.They really are great speakers it would be a shame if you did not have the opportunity to hear them.
Happy Listening
Ray

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
These speakers got my interest quite a bit after seeing them in the featured article for the 12k theater. I found the same thing about only one distributor in the US. However, I did find accessories 4 less selling an odd mixture of their speakers, not enough to get a full matching 5.1, but they had a few, and at incredibly cheap prices to boot. They list Mordaunt Short as an authorized online store. I thought acc4less was a reputable store, right?
I am probably a good 6 months from finishing the basement, but hey, it's never too early to be looking for speakers...

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
I just did a search for Mordaunt Short on yahoo, that website was about 12th on the list.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi All
I strongly recommend that you audition these speakers in person. I absolutely don't believe in the buy it blind based on a review approach. I really like the speakers and believe they represent good bang for the buck, but all of our ears are different and some may not find them appealing It would be a very well received complement if you did that ,And reported back on this forum what your listening conclusions were good or bad or indifferent.
Happy Listening
Ray

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis