looking for bookshelf speakers to place in a cabinet

K

kineticnrg

Audiophyte
Hello,

The title maybe a little misleading. But, I am looking for speakers that can "play well" inside of cabinet. The depth of the cabinet is 14.75" and the width 17.25".

Does anyone have any recommendation? A local stereo shop recommended Totem Mites. But, they require a minimum of 1ft of space behind the speakers. which I won't have.

Thanks,

JP

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Cup your hands around your mouth and re-read your question aloud. What does that do to the sound of your voice?

Putting speakers inside a book shelf or cabinet will change the response both direct and off-axis. I think in this case you're going to have to make a decision. Do you want good, or do you want convenient? You can't have both. You could try something front ported -- something like Infinity P163 or WaveCrest HVL-1, but it's probably not going to sound as good as it would on speeaker stands in the open air.

Could you do wall mounts instead?

K

kineticnrg

Audiophyte
Thanks Rojo; that ways a great way of explaining how the sound will be affected. The only way I will be able to do wall mounts are to bolt the speakers to the front of the cabinets.

Would placing sound absorption material in the cabinet make a dramatic difference?

JP

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks Rojo; that ways a great way of explaining how the sound will be affected. The only way I will be able to do wall mounts are to bolt the speakers to the front of the cabinets.

Would placing sound absorption material in the cabinet make a dramatic difference?

JP
Hey, I just came across these RBH Si-770 speakers and I immediately remembered your situation. Those speakers are tuned for placement within built-in bookshelfs -- quite an uncommon but useful feature in your situation. If you're still in the market, send @AcuDefTechGuy a PM and ask him to quote you a set.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sealed would be best, front ported second option. The NHTs are sealed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis