Looking for Atmos Music Concerts

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Ya I have a disc but still haven’t installed my overhead speakers for 5.1.4 yet but I have purchased the in ceiling 12 AWG speaker wire, so one step closer. :) I have to get these RSL C34E speakers out of the boxes and see how loud they go for some inspiration. Maybe I’ll rig them up on ladders one day this week during the day for fun. LOL :)
I didn’t realize that Atmos disk where out for music (Concert) on blu-ray disk. I just ordered two off of Amazon. :). Andrew (ADTG) and I where just talking about Atmos in texting today, told him I was moving to a bigger apartment by the end of this month. He’s the one who Suggested I go Atmos which I will got two speakers coming in also with the wire.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
If you're also interested in "music only" then here are some pretty good ones like:

• Beatles - Abbey Road
  • INXS - Kick
  • Kraftwerk - 3D (?)
  • REM - Automatic for the People

There are other Beatles releases like e.g. The White Album but my understanding is that they are not that great. If only Amazon and Tidal would make it possible to use your HT setup instead of their crappy small speakers for the Atmos tracks... :)

M

mastershome

Audiophyte
The Blu ray concert "Hans Zimmer: Live In Prague is in Atmos. Really nice concert and a good workout for your speaker system.
I bought the "Hans Zimmer" BD in Atmos, as soon I heard about it, as I like his movie soundteacks a lot, but I definitely didn't like it.

In my opinion the person who mixed this was deaf around the subwoofer frequencies.

I like bass, but what they have done there really destroyed the music in my ears: they put waaay too much bass into the mix.

I actually reduced bass in the receivers EQ, which I never, ever would do, I thought.

I do not recommend this as a great concert track, although I'd love to, as it's one of the few Atmos mixes out there that was actually created to be published in Atmos. :-(

Last edited:
M

mastershome

Audiophyte
"Metallica - Through the never" in Atmos.

Good Audio, interesting mix of concert recording and a little story around. I like it, it's been mixed well and rocks the house ;-D

Last edited:
Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I bought the "Hans Zimmer" BD in Atmos, as soon I heard about it, as I like his movie soundteacks a lot, but I definitely didn't like it.

In my opinion the person who mixed this was deaf around the subwoofer frequencies.

I like bass, but what they have done there really destroyed the music in my ears: they put waaay too much bass into the mix.

I actually reduced bass in the receivers EQ, which I never, ever would do, I thought.

I do not recommend this as a great concert track, although I'd love to, as it's one of the few Atmos mixes out there that was actually created to be published in Atmos. :-(

Gesendet von meinem SM-G975F mit Tapatalk
I have no idea what your audio system sounds like, but on mine the audio is perfect. I am running two full size towers full frequency along with 2 powered subs. Bass on my system is powerful, clean and tight. Audio on the Zimmer concert is as good as it gets.

Last edited:
M

mastershome

Audiophyte
I have no idea what your audio system sounds like, but on mine the audio is perfect. I am running two full size towers full frequency along with 2 powered subs. Bass on my system is powerful, clean and tight. Audio on the Zimmer concert is as good as it gets.
I am running just one sub alongside the full spectrum fronts. For my listening room that's more than enough.
I am fan of a flat requency response for music, so that's how it is measured in.
I am not saying the Hans Zimmer concert gives bad bass. The bass there is extremely well and sounds impressive.
I am saying that, for my ears, the piece is killed by too much emphasis, too much volume in the bass part throughout the whole concert. When bass is getting too much into the foreground, for prolonged periods of time it takes away from the music, instead of adding to it, mixing smoothly.

But as everything in that regard this is a matter of taste, personal hearing capabilities and preferences.

I just don't want to praise this concert as many do, as for me it has been killed on the mixing part.

M

MXRPH90

Audiophyte
Hey guys,
So, although these recordings were mixed in Atmos, but they definitely weren't recorded that way. It seems all of it was just upscaled or mixed in Atmos, meaning none of the capture was actually done in an immersive style. Anyone can pan a bunch of stuff all over the place, but that doesn't make it an actual Atmos experience does it?

G

grassguerilla

Audiophyte
Just in case you want music overhead too...
Maybe give it a try? Some of the better mixes give a sense of "air" and "height" simply not possible from 2 channel reproduction. Admittedly some poor mixes that are pushing guitars etc to the ceiling speakers are garbage. Now a live recording that pushes some of the audience applause, tambourines etc to the top of height channels bring a presence you may want to hear to appreciate.

Frankly if you prefer to listen to early Beetles records in mono, that's cool. Some of us are digging on what this technology is delivering on our theatre systems. Honestly the sound is better in even my modest system than many live shows in crappy venues (like hockey rinks).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You have to be careful. I doubt most of this is actually recorded as Atmos. The BPO are now providing an Atmos Stream. It has significant problems. I now find that these streams are mixed through an up mixer. The problem is that their upmixer, is way inferior to the DD up mixer.

A big problem is that mixing, and especially microphone arrangements, are not well worked out,, studied and evaluated yet. The most promising are highly modified versions of the old Decca tree.

I suspect a good part of the problem is that audio engineers are addicted to throwing up microphones everywhere they can. This does not work for Atmos, where you really need a central cluster technique. I don't think we will make progress until a whole new generation of engineers come of age. In my recording days, I was a huge proponent of minimal microphone techniques. Those techniques produce far more accurate recordings then the chuck a mic up everywhere technique. The one problem is that these minimal techniques really expose bad speakers, and how. Where as poor speakers are much more tolerant to the peeper the scene with mics techniques.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis