Looking for assistance with separate amp(s)

I

Ironmahn

Audiophyte
My speakers: Fronts are 250 watts/RMS each , center is 200 watts/RMS, surrounds are 150 watts/RMS each. This is not peak, these are root mean square (rms) referring to how much continuous power the speaker can handle. All 8 ohms, and are high sensitivity. This is a 5.2 setup.

With that information, would it be best to get separates for those wattage per channel.

I.E. a 250 x 2 channel amp of the fronts, a mono 200 watt amp for the center, and a 150 x 2 channel amp for the surrounds.

or

Just get a 5 channel 250 watt amp to keep it simple?

Thanks

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I

Ironmahn

Audiophyte
lovintheh,

Thanks for the reply, and the links you provided. I edited my initial post, with the hopes of clarification.

Thanks

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Watt listings on speakers dont really say much if anything, a lower power amp is more likly to damage speakers then a higher power one, especially if its high current (amperage) amplifier. A good quality 5 channel 200w+ will be plenty. No idea about your price range or if u use a receiver or seperate processor front end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
My speakers: Fronts are 250 watts/RMS each , center is 200 watts/RMS, surrounds are 150 watts/RMS each. This is not peak, these are root mean square (rms) referring to how much continuous power the speaker can handle. All 8 ohms, and are high sensitivity. This is a 5.2 setup.

With that information, would it be best to get separates for those wattage per channel.

I.E. a 250 x 2 channel amp of the fronts, a mono 200 watt amp for the center, and a 150 x 2 channel amp for the surrounds.

or

Just get a 5 channel 250 watt amp to keep it simple?

Thanks
I have 200wpc monoblocks powering the LCR...and a modest 5 ch amp powering the surrounds/atmos.

Promo pricing from Outlaw made it reasonable expense, but if I had it to do over again, I probably would have bought some pro amps from Crown and put them in a rack in my hvac closet.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

What do you mean by “high sensitivity?” If you mean a really high figure like Klipsch speakers have – say, 95 dB @ 1 meter – then you can drive them to ear-bleeding levels with even a 75 watt amp. No sense getting a 250 watt amp if it’s only going to be putting out 20% of that at most.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
While some speaker companies may use RMS power rating, no such animal. Continuous average power is what it is. RMS applies to voltage and current. If you multiply those RMS numbers, you get 1/2 power of peak voltage and current multiplied.

I

Ironmahn

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies, and assistance to my questions.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I have 200wpc monoblocks powering the LCR...and a modest 5 ch amp powering the surrounds/atmos.

Promo pricing from Outlaw made it reasonable expense, but if I had it to do over again, I probably would have bought some pro amps from Crown and put them in a rack in my hvac closet.
the more I study out the issue of power amps, the more sense the Crown pro audio stuff makes.
At first, I couldn't believe the value statement. I was sure they had to be junk.
But, after reading about them for over a year, I see them as a strong contender for the money.
I don't know if and when I will need big power, but, when I do, the Crown stuff gets a hard look.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
the more I study out the issue of power amps, the more sense the Crown pro audio stuff makes.
At first, I couldn't believe the value statement. I was sure they had to be junk.
But, after reading about them for over a year, I see them as a strong contender for the money.
I don't know if and when I will need big power, but, when I do, the Crown stuff gets a hard look.
Same here. This system is way overkill that I have, but even with my great pricing, I could've saved a few 100 bucks and had the same performance.

I've had 3 people come over and listen to my system that wanted to build their own and I told to consider Crown amps if they wanted to go the power amp route.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis