Looking for AM/FM receiver

M

Mike Hubbard

Enthusiast
Yes that sounds like ours small round speakers I talk to, we got at Costco for about 30 dollars each.
they sound really bad. But they are simple for turning on lights the weather and streaming Spotify. I have a Sonos speaker and it works but I’m not sure how or why I downloaded the app, but gave up, I like my Apple app I play thru my iPad and iPhones it’s simple and easy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes that sounds like ours small round speakers I talk to, we got at Costco for about 30 dollars each.
they sound really bad. But they are simple for turning on lights the weather and streaming Spotify. I have a Sonos speaker and it works but I’m not sure how or why I downloaded the app, but gave up, I like my Apple app I play thru my iPad and iPhones it’s simple and easy.
Is that Siri or Alexa or some other persona ? Some devices can work with those things, some can't, you'd need to check specs....personally I don't use 'em....no desire to talk to stuff let alone enunciate it over and over until it understands what the f*ck I said. :)

M

Mike Hubbard

Enthusiast
Ya sometimes I have to yell at them. But if I’m in a hurry they can help. I find Siri the best at understanding my voice. But google is the one that turns light on and off. If it works at all. I will need to study my options and go from there. Listening to music has really changed over the years.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ya sometimes I have to yell at them. But if I’m in a hurry they can help. I find Siri the best at understanding my voice. But google is the one that turns light on and off. If it works at all. I will need to study my options and go from there. Listening to music has really changed over the years.
I know some modern avrs can work with those type of devices but I'd definitely check specifications carefully....

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
This sounds exactly like an:

Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen) Smart speaker with Alexa -

I have a couple of them just to integrate Spotify into a small system I have in the garage at the Cabin, and a small system by the Dining Room table at home. They work fabulously with Spotify.

All you need is a cable like this and you'll be on your way.

A 1/8 inch stereo cable to RCA for about $9.00 (USD) on Amazon is all you need. Just plug it into the Aux inputs on the rear of your PM8005 and the Echo Dot and you are golden. See page 19 in the Marantz PM8005 Manual

It's a low cost way for you to try it. Even my wife likes it in the Dining Room when we have company over for dinner.

I hope this is helpful.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
There seems to be a lot of commentary about NOT listening to radio, but I think the bigger option is that if you do want to listen to some stations, then maybe look at streaming units that can stream your favorite stations.

Getting a good quality streaming device with multiple services available to it for audio may give you far better control, more options, and better reception of those stations. Whether it is talk radio, or music, most stations are streaming their content over a streaming platform, free of charge, direct to your home.

So, if you Google "Listen to KXXX Online" you should be able to see what service they use to stream. In my area, a popular station, DC101, is carried by iHeart Radio. So, I can download iHeart Radio to my streaming device, and play it back easily.

If you want a nicer streamer, consider a Bluesound product, but less expensive, but similar, is Sonos or Wiim products. In the case of these products, it is ALL about the quality of their software along with having good audio quality. You can verify the supported music services before you buy...

I like my Sonos. I can program in favorite stations, which bridge across different services. So, I can have my XM Christmas Music, right next to my WTOP Local News/Traffic station in my favorites, which is a really nice feature to have and I would think is common. I use a Sonos device, so others can comment on the other streaming devices if that's something you are considering as an option, or just an 'in addition to' product.
The trouble is that streaming quality of Internet radio is generally poor. Even classical MPR only streams live at 128 kbs mp3. So my old Quad FM4 tuners have much better SQ then the stream. If I stream the Internet radio direct to my Marantz 7705 or use my HTPC the result is the same.

So I find there is still a place for a good FM tuner. So I have an FM4 in my AV room and my two channel system.

Quad FM4

One of the best, if not the best FM tuner of all time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some internet radio apps let you filter by stream qualities, too. I do find without filtering far too many offerings to go thru that were at 64 or 128kbps, but after filtering a fair number of higher quality....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis