Looking for advice: Yamaha RX-Z9 and pre combination

• Thread starter Luca Sichel Turco
  • Start date
JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Yes, everyone will have a different opinion. I just visited the store I worked at, and listened to all the new surround formats, Believe me I did not think it was worth getting rid of my receiver. I have my systems set up perfect. I have demoed all the Yamaha movie modes and WOW. I DID however download the new Yamaha app And u can make the mode small or big adjust to your liking and listen. As far as the HDMI, again did not hear enough of a difference to spend the money.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Now I'm not quite ready to send my Z9 to the retirement home, nor do I have the will to invest heavily in a new A/V receiver just yet.
So my question is: How can I maximize my listening experience with my Z9 and a modern day source like the Oppo?
Also, for future reference, i.e. when I decide to take the plunge and buy a new system: how would you future proof yourself as best as you can in order to avoid the nasty feeling of having a beautiful machine that can't be used anymore cause it's dated?
thx everyone for your posts
Well, before you retire this nice receiver, Peng hit the nail.
If you still have the manual, page 19, also on line for download, it has 7 channel input. So you can use an Oppo 103 with analog out and decode the new hi-rez in the Oppo.

L

Luca Sichel Turco

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone..
been trying to post my reply with no success.
But at least I'd like to thank everyone that have helped find a satisfactory solutions.
Best

Here the original message I could not post:
"
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I think I'll be happy with the solution found: running the 7 channel output of the oppo to the analog input of the Z9.
For the future I think I'll take one of two routes: if I want to invest less I'll go for a mid range A/V Receiver all in one, like the Denon knowing the when in need of an upgrade the investment will have been repaid fully.
If I'll be able to invest more I'll go for the Pre/Amp combo, investing more (and hopefully only once) on the power amplifier part with the idea of having to change the Pre every few years to make room for all the innovations that come our way.
It has been very useful to ask my question on the forum.
Thx to all again.
"

G

GeorgeNS

Audiophyte
The fact is that older receivers with no HDMI inputs are really pretty much useless now.
I realize this is an old thread, but I am just getting ready to take my RX-Z9 out of mothballs and, like the OP, I plan to use my RX-Z9 for audio only, due to its lack of HDMI. My plan is to take video directly to my 4K TV, and use analog inputs from a Yamaha SACD player (5.1) and a Panasonic 4K-BluRay player (7.1). I plan to use these (esp SACD) for 2 channel and multi-channel audio. Do I really care about lossy formats with this setup? Sorry if this is an ignorant question, just trying to learn. I really liked the RX-Z9 a lot when I had it running, and am looking forward to have it fire up my 9 Klipsch speakers. The room is large and terrible for a classic setup, but it's what I have, and I will use the YPAO since it's what I have to work with, and hopefully tweak from there. Any comments are most welcome.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I would not worry about any lossless formats , I purchased a Yamaha RX-A3070 and I was extremely disappointed , and the more I learned not many people can hear the difference between the two , I on other hand could not hear the difference at all! and running HDMI directly to the panel is always smarter than going through another device

G

GeorgeNS

Audiophyte
Thanks for your response. I was really trying to determine if I am even encountering any lossy formats using analog outputs from a SACD player or a 4K-Blu player.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
When you say lossy do you mean lossless ? I would just run optical from your DVD player to The Z9, However to get lossless you have to run HDMI to a receiver, in our case the Z9 has no HDMI, so if one wanted to get lossless you would have to use the multi channel input on the Z9 from the multi channel outputs on a blu-ray player, meaning now your using the decoder in the Blu-ray player

Last edited:
G

GeorgeNS

Audiophyte
No, I meant to say lossy - meaning if use the audio analog channels on my 4K Blu-ray player, and connect to the audio inputs on my receiver, where do I encounter a lossy format? Sorry if I am not clear as I am not that schooled in codecs, etc. I tried to post a link to the manual for my Panasonic UB900, but since I am a newbie it won't let me post a link.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Ok if you use the standard left and right audio output of you are Blu-ray player you will not get lossy or lossless , those are standard analog outputs, lossy or lossless require a digital connection. Lossless requires HDMI because of the bandwith and lossy such as Standard Dolby Digital or DTS require a digital connection, such as optical or RCA output Labeled digital out, On your blu-ray player usually orange in color for the RCA DIGITAL OUT. That would be called digital coax cable As far as SACD, I never really got into SACD so maybe somebody else could chime in about that

G

GeorgeNS

Audiophyte
That's what I was asking about. So it sounds like the whole lossy/lossless only has to do with digital, and I really don't have to throw out my AVR just because it doesn't have HDMI. The Blu-ray player has multi-channel analog outs and my AVR has multi-channel inputs. I can only hook up one set of multi-channel inputs in my AVR at a time, so I will use the 4K Blu-Ray player. I can set up my SACD with my AVR in two-channel direct mode, or use fiber out. Thanks for your help.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I just re-read your post, To my understanding you also need to use HDMI or multi channel Out to support SACD

G

GeorgeNS

Audiophyte
I can use multi-channel, but as I said I can only hook up one multi-channel at a time, so I will use the two channel approach or fiber optic. I'm really not what that will give me, since I've only used analog 5.1 channels in the past. My room is still not ready to hook everything up, just doing a little planning.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Ok. In the past I’ve listened to SACD , and again could not really hear the difference there either

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis