Looking for advice / opinions on HT upgrades

P

pronator

Enthusiast
Thanks for the picture @Eppie , that setup looks great. I especially like the wall color.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the picture @Eppie , that setup looks great. I especially like the wall color.
Thanks. The ceiling is only 7' high so the TV may look higher than it is. The tweeters on the main speakers are roughly ear level when seated.

P

pronator

Enthusiast
Have I gone overboard? Am I asking the right crowd?

SVS persuaded me that the PB-1000 Pro would not pressurize the 3,000 ft3 basement. Do you agree? So I bought a PB2k (great sale!) to go with the KEF Q150 LCR. Yikes, that sub dominates the visuals, like maybe I should downsize to the PB1k. But wow, did I feel the opening sequence to Blade Runner 2049!! Even with the sub at -10dB and Audyssey calibrating at -12dB I felt I had to tamp it down. Maybe it was my imagination, but all the audio seemed louder; I was watching at -20-25dB on the AVR whereas I was watching Jason Bourne at up to -15dB.

Basement AV 2024-07-05.jpg

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General

SVS persuaded me that the PB-1000 Pro would not pressurize the 3,000 ft3 basement. Do you agree? So I bought a PB2k (great sale!) to go with the KEF Q150 LCR. Yikes, that sub dominates the visuals, like maybe I should downsize to the PB1k. But wow, did I feel the opening sequence to Blade Runner 2049!! Even with the sub at -10dB and Audyssey calibrating at -12dB I felt I had to tamp it down. Maybe it was my imagination, but all the audio seemed louder; I was watching at -20-25dB on the AVR whereas I was watching Jason Bourne at up to -15dB.

View attachment 68270
SVS should know their Subs capability better than I, and they'd never try to upsell a Customer => would they? :eek:

Lots of members here are of the opinion that you can't have too much Sub, but the only opinion that really counts is yours.

Moving forward from your old Energy Take Classic Sub is quite a leap, and as the PB-2000 is retired, I'm assuming you've got the PB-2000 Pro which is rated 19-240 Hz ±3 dB utilizing a 550 watts RMS (1500+ watts peak) amplifier. The Energy Take Classic Sub was rated 33- 150 Hz (±3dB) with a 50-watt RMS amplifier, and I'd be quite surprised if it could really dig down to 33 Hz, and with only 50 Watts at it's disposal, it's output would be meager. Hence the dramatic change you are experiencing. You are hearing bottom end that you've never experienced before.

You may want to experiment with moving (UGH!) the PB-2000 Pro out of the corner and to under the left Speaker to reduce corner loading; as it may make it sound less "boomy" to you.

I've assumed you've checked out @shadyJ 's PB-2000 Pro Review

All in all I hope you are enjoying your new system, and find it worth the effort, and expense.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
LOL I love this and thanks for the feedback. I haven't painted my stands yet but you can see from the pics that I'm similarly inclined.
View attachment 68086View attachment 68087
Yupper, just what the Doctor ordered for your solution.......lol My jacked up TV, has 8" clearance, to allow for center channel. My TV stand is not quite wide/long enough, and have a 2 X 10 X 6 foot black painted board. Then, I have 2 black TV trays for the main bookshelf speakers. It all works.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
You are right, it's the PB-2000 Pro, and I did check that out as well as his PB-1000 Pro Review and I noticed both subs are "certified large" meaning up to 3,000 ft3.

That's a great suggestion, thank you.
I forgot to mention trying some wedges under the front lip of the center speaker to angle it up towards the main listening position. It should make a noticeable difference.

I hope my suggestions are helpful.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

View attachment 68270
Couple quick things. If audyssey set the trim at -12, then the subwoofer volume is too high. Audyssey tried to set the level to be even with the rest of the speakers and -12 is the lowest it can go. That means it’s too hot.
Also, BR2049 is mixed a little hotter than some, and some movies are just like that. BR2049 also has an exemplary soundtrack all the way around.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

View attachment 68270
The setup is looking nice. I have the sealed version of the PB2000 and it's a great sub. Good advice from Jim and William. Where did you have the subwoofer volume when you ran Audyssey? You usually have the volume in the middle position to start and shoot for a trim of 0 to -6. The SVS app is handy though for personal adjustments to taste.

One of the first things I was told in these forums was to get a decent subwoofer. I was also surprised at how big a difference it makes when you clean up the bottom end. Enjoy the new setup!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis