Looking for advice on sub $700 4k

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I'm helping a family member out with the purchase of a new TV. I don't know much about mid level to entry level sets, so that's where I'm hopping get a little direction. Has to be $700 or less and 65 inch.

Thanks!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think there is a lot of variance in televisions when you lock into certain price points.

In the $700, you are in the low-mid tier for televisions. I like using the Best Buy website as reference for pricing, but it all boils down to similar statements that continue up to the higher prices. As you get away from Sony, Samsung, and LG, you will find pricing tends to be less, but quality control and support can be more dodgy. So, I tend to stick with one of the three majors. I avoid LG in general, but that's my choice. I think Samsung is a great direction at this price point as you should get decent quality and reliability for the money.

I would probably go look and read reviews of the Sony X80K series and the Samsung TU8300...

TVs are an area where you do tend to get more as you spend more.

On the off-brand list, the Hisense U7H series may be a great way to go to get more image quality for the money. This TV may not have a 10 year shelf life like Sony or Samsung may have, but if there is a chance the TV will be swapped out (more money in the future), then lasting a decade may not matter quite as much, and quality should still be on point...

I picked up a 58" Hisense LCD for a guest room in my home. Got it from Walmart for under $300 out the door. It doesn't compare to the Samsung in our family room, but it certainly does an acceptable job and works fine for just watching TV. But, the jump in quality you start to get as you pay more will show through with better motion handling, better contrast, and better colors.

If I'm buying for myself, I tend to look for the best deal, and that would be the Hisense. If I'm buying for others, I tend to go for the highest reliability, and that would be the Samsung or the Sony.

As is sometimes the case, Costco, Sam's Club, and Walmart may offer pricing that is a bit better or have an extended warranty or something else to sweeten the purchase, so look around for best pricing or a model which is on sale for a ridiculous price.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd echo rec for HiSense 65U75H - It's in your price range/size. It has qdot, "Full-Array" backlighting with 90 Local dimming zones, a native 120hz screen refresh, and excellent color accuracy (after calibration). Support Dolby Atmos, Google TV, room audio correction, and not wholly garbage built-in speakers (this one is rare on modern TVs)
Its downsides are viewing angles, some uniformity issues, and despite 120hz refresh, a slow response time (not ideal for sports)

p.s: U8H would be a significant step up regarding image quality and outside your budget.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I don't think there is a lot of variance in televisions when you lock into certain price points.

In the $700, you are in the low-mid tier for televisions. I like using the Best Buy website as reference for pricing, but it all boils down to similar statements that continue up to the higher prices. As you get away from Sony, Samsung, and LG, you will find pricing tends to be less, but quality control and support can be more dodgy. So, I tend to stick with one of the three majors. I avoid LG in general, but that's my choice. I think Samsung is a great direction at this price point as you should get decent quality and reliability for the money.

I would probably go look and read reviews of the Sony X80K series and the Samsung TU8300...

TVs are an area where you do tend to get more as you spend more.

On the off-brand list, the Hisense U7H series may be a great way to go to get more image quality for the money. This TV may not have a 10 year shelf life like Sony or Samsung may have, but if there is a chance the TV will be swapped out (more money in the future), then lasting a decade may not matter quite as much, and quality should still be on point...

I picked up a 58" Hisense LCD for a guest room in my home. Got it from Walmart for under $300 out the door. It doesn't compare to the Samsung in our family room, but it certainly does an acceptable job and works fine for just watching TV. But, the jump in quality you start to get as you pay more will show through with better motion handling, better contrast, and better colors.

If I'm buying for myself, I tend to look for the best deal, and that would be the Hisense. If I'm buying for others, I tend to go for the highest reliability, and that would be the Samsung or the Sony.

As is sometimes the case, Costco, Sam's Club, and Walmart may offer pricing that is a bit better or have an extended warranty or something else to sweeten the purchase, so look around for best pricing or a model which is on sale for a ridiculous price.
Thank you! That was
Incredibly helpful

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I'd echo rec for HiSense 65U75H - It's in your price range/size. It has qdot, "Full-Array" backlighting with 90 Local dimming zones, a native 120hz screen refresh, and excellent color accuracy (after calibration). Support Dolby Atmos, Google TV, room audio correction, and not wholly garbage built-in speakers (this one is rare on modern TVs)
Its downsides are viewing angles, some uniformity issues, and despite 120hz refresh, a slow response time (not ideal for sports)

p.s: U8H would be a significant step up regarding image quality and outside your budget.
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis