Looking for advice on a sub

I

insignia

Enthusiast
I’m looking for a decent subwoofer for my budget to pair it with DALI Oberon 1 stereo pair, DALI Oberon Vokal center channel speaker and Yamaha RX-V781 AV Receiver. My intended use is 50% movies and 50% music but I’d like to have more impact in movies without losing much definition because in general I’m quite satisfied even with stereo in Pure Direct mode for music. My listening and viewing area is quite small 3.5m x 4.5m x 2.6m with an open floor plan living room/kitchen combo with an open hallway leading off of it. I’m sort of on a budget so I was wondering if SVS PB-1000 would be good enough for my needs. If port noise at low frequencies is a common occurrence with this sub, would SVS SB-1000 be any better for me? SVS’s own subwoofer matching tool suggested SB-2000 Pro sub (the next expensive). It’s a sealed sub with the same base extension down to 19Hz as PB-1000 without port noise problem but I was wondering if increase in power and eventually price are justified for my room and my needs. And I’m not sure if DALI’s own E-12F sub would be able to compete with any of these as it’s right in the middle of PB/SB-1000 and SB-2000 pricewise.

Thank you all in advance!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The SB-2000 PRO is a sealed sub, where as the Dali sub is a ported. Since it is not a large ported sub, it probably doesn't have a very deep tuning frequency, but it should still have greater deep bass output than the SB-2000 PRO. The PB-1000 will probably dig deeper but not get as loud. I think any of these subs would suffice for you, but I think you should get two subs instead of one.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
If @shadyJ recommends it, I'm supporting the idea. He's pretty sharp on the subs. I own a PB1000 on my secondary system. If you got two of those, you'd be covered and a happy man. Its a pretty stout looking unit and it does the job seamlessly. I think in general when there are questions about coverage or should one use a bigger sub, often using 2 subs is the better answer. Solves a lot of problems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis