Looking for a sound......

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
I love pretty much anything with Amy Lee from Evanescence She has such a beautiful voice and she's a skilled vocalist

And for something with a little more pep...

It doesn't hurt that she's easy on the eyes still either. She's been around for a long time.
I am very familiar with evanescence! Have her on cd and LP, love her voice. Also liked the first 3 paramore albums as well. But they're rock, and in my opinion a lot of the female artists recommended on here are bluesy? If that's a thing, really low, slow, down kicking rocks sorta thing. I think life is depressing enough, dont need my music to add to it lol. I'm still searching. Sounds odd, but my fiance made me realize maybe what I'm looking for might be more in a Disney soundtrack? Her dad brought up like 50 Disney LPs for her to have. It was pretty nice 2 nights ago having her use my record player. I keep telling her she can use the entertainment system as much as she wants, but is usually pretty scared she'll break something (me and her dad laughed so hard when she was nervous and literally dropped the needle and it bounced off the record player like 8x before settling)

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My tastes are pretty much all over the place but definitely grew up on the heavier side.

One woman I enjoy listening to is Brandi Carlisle. She can get “folkie” at times but she has this slow vibrato that hypnotizes me.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Check out Shelby Lynn and Allison Krauss & Union Station.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am very familiar with evanescence! Have her on cd and LP, love her voice. Also liked the first 3 paramore albums as well. But they're rock, and in my opinion a lot of the female artists recommended on here are bluesy? If that's a thing, really low, slow, down kicking rocks sorta thing. I think life is depressing enough, dont need my music to add to it lol. I'm still searching. Sounds odd, but my fiance made me realize maybe what I'm looking for might be more in a Disney soundtrack? Her dad brought up like 50 Disney LPs for her to have. It was pretty nice 2 nights ago having her use my record player. I keep telling her she can use the entertainment system as much as she wants, but is usually pretty scared she'll break something (me and her dad laughed so hard when she was nervous and literally dropped the needle and it bounced off the record player like 8x before settling)

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Your record player has no cuing lever? Did the stylus survive?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Here are two contrasting styles of sultry female vocals for your enjoyment.

Last edited:
P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
It has a cueing lever, and I always tell her to use it...... her dad was like "dont you just push play and the arm swings over?" SMH lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Check out Shelby Lynn and Allison Krauss & Union Station.
I've loaded a few Lynn's into my favorites, really like look of love, going to go through some more of her stuff, but first I'll check out your recommendations!

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
I think it did, sounded ok. It's the stock ?at85?cartridge? I want to keep that one and use it.on used records, and get a ortofon with headshell for good/new.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think it did, sounded ok. It's the stock ?at85?cartridge? I want to keep that one and use it.on used records, and get a ortofon with headshell for good/new.

Will those cartridges setup the same so you don't need to make arm adjustments other than tracking weight/antiskating? Or does it even have a height adjustment?

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Will those cartridges setup the same so you don't need to make arm adjustments other than tracking weight/antiskating? Or does it even have a height adjustment?
I dont think you have to use height adjustment (non adjustable anyways) it's just a fluance RT-81, I guess as long as I use a ortofon headshell it's close enough, was thinking of upgrading before dropping $1800 + on headphones. But then I realized it was a xmas present from my mother, so I can't ever get rid of it. Theres a record mod shop almost a hour away. Might eventually give him a shout, see if he can do a motor, and straight wire the tone arm, and completely disable the preamp. Want to get a scale and protractor off ebay to do setup right.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I dont think you have to use height adjustment (non adjustable anyways) it's just a fluance RT-81, I guess as long as I use a ortofon headshell it's close enough, was thinking of upgrading before dropping $1800 + on headphones. But then I realized it was a xmas present from my mother, so I can't ever get rid of it. Theres a record mod shop almost a hour away. Might eventually give him a shout, see if he can do a motor, and straight wire the tone arm, and completely disable the preamp. Want to get a scale and protractor off ebay to do setup right.

Cartridges have differences including height. May not be a huge deal but depends what the design ideal was vs the cartridge. Close enough it could well be. My arm has such so don't think about it much. The headshell is what matches the arm for attachment, and what the cartridge is attached to. I've not ever thought changing cartridges for a particular record was worth it, and using a potentially damaged stylus is potentially going to not only harm the sound but the record as well.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I've loaded a few Lynn's into my favorites, really like look of love, going to go through some more of her stuff, but first I'll check out your recommendations!

Look on YouTube for her on Live At Daryl's House, doing a song called 'Leaving'- it was originally done by Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Get one of these-

It has a cue arm, she just got nervous and forgot to use it lol. Thinking she'll remember now......
I dont want her to feel like its "dads stereo, dont touch it", I want her to enjoy it too.

jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
Hello, still kinda new to this whole forums thing, but have been racking my brain out over something. Long time audiophile ever since I hooked up a guitar amp to a 3 piece sony boom box...... I am drawn to female vocalists, but looking for simple, like Eric Clapton's unplugged, just simple acoustic guitars, or maybe some violins and a piano, but not bluesy like diana krall, something that makes you amazed at the sweet sound of a female voice, soft, delicate, and recorded well. I like some of Taylor swifts songs, but not into country, actuallyI dont know what classificationit would be (modern solo female classical? Lol). Something that can do my system justice that I've spent for me a small fortune on. Figured I seen this section and thought I would ask. Also would be purchasing either cd or 180gr. Vinyl preferably. Thanks for any suggestions!

There is a really cool band from my town call The Smoky Nights. They are on Spotify, youtube, etc. https://www.thesmokynights.com/

They feature a violin and the lead singer, she has an amazing voice.

R

rolf.taylor

Enthusiast
Brenda Russell will show off your system. In fact she's my go to for system evaluation and manual eq adjustment. I've spent *many* hours listening to Get Here while developing and testing equipment.

Anita Baker

Nora Jones

Sara McLachlan

Carol King

Sheryl Crow

Joni Mitchell

Sade

Adele (might be too bluesy, but she can sing)

Jewel

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis