Looking for a small dac+headphones amp for grado sr225e

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Hi everyone, could use your advice.
Just looking for a not too expensive dac (100-150 $ top), maybe something similar to dragonfly dacs, though I don't mind go for bigger styles.

Thing is, there are so many options! and I'm kind of new to the digital world.
Could you recommend just a few you reckon will fulfill my humble needs.

Thanks,
Daniel

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi everyone, could use your advice.
Just looking for a not too expensive dac (100-150 $ top), maybe something similar to dragonfly dacs, though I don't mind go for bigger styles.

Thing is, there are so many options! and I'm kind of new to the digital world.
Could you recommend just a few you reckon will fulfill my humble needs.

Thanks,
Daniel
It may be a good idea to pick one from those tested by Audiosciencereview.com. I would stay away from the dragonfly dacs. They are like Bose, everything is over priced.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Any thoughts on these following dacs:

Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS (saw some really nice reviews on this one)
Audioengine D3
iBasso DC02
Fiio Q1 DAC

All are around the same price range.

Thanks

dolsey01

dolsey01

Enthusiast
I really like my Radsone ES100. Bluetooth DAC/AMP. Under $100, sounds great and can drive even hard to drive headphones when using Balanced mode. Was surprised that it could drive my HIFIMAN HE-4XX when using a balanced cable. Best money I have EVER spent on audio gear.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
I really like my Radsone ES100. Bluetooth DAC/AMP. Under $100, sounds great and can drive even hard to drive headphones when using Balanced mode. Was surprised that it could drive my HIFIMAN HE-4XX when using a balanced cable. Best money I have EVER spent on audio gear.
Hey, thanks a lot for the advise! with this i'd probably be able to hook up to my TV as well, and my phone as well.

Problem is, they don't sell this device in Israel. I had to order it from ebay (meaning I'll have to wait about 30 days for the delivery :-/ ..... )

Would you recommend buying an adapter for the balanced output as well? Is there a noticeable difference?

dolsey01

dolsey01

Enthusiast
Hey, thanks a lot for the advise! with this i'd probably be able to hook up to my TV as well, and my phone as well.

Problem is, they don't sell this device in Israel. I had to order it from ebay (meaning I'll have to wait about 30 days for the delivery :-/ ..... )

Would you recommend buying an adapter for the balanced output as well? Is there a noticeable difference?
You should only need the balanced output with harder to drive headphones. I use it with Sennheiser HD58x and the HIFIMAN HE4xx but don't need it with IEMS or easier to drive headphones like Sennheiser 598s or similar.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Hi !
As it turns out, 2 years has gone by since purchasing the radsone ES100, it's doing great.

Just wondering if an upgrade righ now, with technolgy progression, would be beneficial?

I've notice a few DACs (price range 100-140 usd):
Hidizs S9 Pro
Hidizs DH80s
ibasso DC-05

Still with the same Grado sr225e, surly an upgrade in the future is possible.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Daniel.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I have the Zorloo Ztella (MQA version) w/lightning adapter ($109USD) and am extremely happy with it:
https://www.zorloo.com/ztella
I use it mostly to drive my Meze Rai Solos but I have hooked up two or three pairs of full size headphones and it drove them with no problem.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis