Looking for a new receiver

E

Erod

Audioholic
Best in terms of what? Sound quality? Auto Room EQ? Resale value? Brand reputation? Hearsay? Myths? Measurements? Power Output? WiFi Remote App? Streaming App? HDMI compatibility? Reliability?
Reliability, Room EQ, HDMI switching, and ease of use would probably be my personal reasons. I have the AVM60, so my power supply comes from separate amps.

I haven't had good experiences with Marantz. I've had two crap out on me in less than three years. My Integra was really nice, but it suffered from odd popping sounds too often. The B&K died on me after the company went belly up. I use Denon in my living room setup, and their cheaper amps especially are a tremendous value. I don't need much for that room (the wife's TV), and it does a great job.

I just really like the straight forwardness of my AVM60. It performs like a much more expensive prepro, probably because it doesn't have all the tricks and whistles that I don't need anyway.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Denon X3500. $499 open box (ebay/full warranty) Put the savings towards speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Reliability (Anthem)
I've heard the opposite regarding Anthem reliability issues on both AH and AVS.

However, not many people own Anthem compared to the other brands, so we usually don't hear much about Anthem good or bad.

I know some people have owned Denon/Marantz (and other brands) that lasted more than 8 years. :D

The ONLY DM product I have left in my house is the Denon AVR-5308CI. It's still working great after 9 years now. But then again, I've only used it very sparingly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
M Code just posted in another thread that his experience with Anthem reliability is Mixed/Average and not as impressive as Yamaha's reliability.

J

jwdhelaman

Enthusiast
I haven't heard much about Yamaha's AVRS. I've been down the road with receivers for many years. I bought a Yamaha 1400 years ago, but then DVDs started coming along with Widescreen and Dolby Direct 5.1. I bought a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010. It was very good, but then additional bells and whistles came about, especially Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, so I bought the RX-A3050 AVR. Wow! It sounded great. I bought a 1080p Optoma Projector with a screen. I set it up with a 7.1.4 for a theater with Blu-ray. I thought it was great. Then 4X UHD HDR 2160p came out. I bought a 4K UHD HDR 2160p Optoma UHD60. It looks great but it doesn't support Dolby Vision, at least, not yet. I did by the Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070 AVR, and now I love my theater. I use my RX-A3010 for my 4 Presence (Immersive) speakers. I love to watch the movies with the current system. Do I like Yamaha AVRs...??? What do you think?

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Just moved, new space, lots of years since my last move or gear update, a little bit of money saved up, time for some new gear. I've got a 75" Samsung Q8, and I'm looking at SVS Prime Pinnacle Surround system plus one of their subs for the speakers. But I don't have the space (300 square feet of loft) to go more than 5.1. I don't want to spend more than $2k or so, but I want the most I get can get visually and audio-quality wise. An 11+ channel system seems a waste, but is it the only way to get the quality and the beef and the technology? I'm completely brand agnostic. What do you all suggest?
Yamaha Aventage RX-A3080 flagship if you are unforgiving with music! EXCEPTIONAL SOUND! DAC implementation on this beast alone is a notch above my Shiit Yggy and goes head to toe with my Ps audio directstream dac....

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha Aventage RX-A3080 flagship if you are unforgiving with music! EXCEPTIONAL SOUND! DAC implementation on this beast alone is a notch above my Shiit Yggy and goes head to toe with my Ps audio directstream dac....
My Son has the Yamaha RX-A3080 I have the a1080,
like you I’ve had just about every stereo or AVR at one time or another for Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Techniques, Kentwood, Sony, NAD, Harmon/Kardon and Rat Shack. Never owned a Denon why? i’ve always found they where ugly :p;). Yamaha hands down dollar for dollar wins out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Regardless of differences in measurements from anyone, the SQ of all these AVRs can be great.

The main difference will be the reliability, compatibility, costs, aesthetic, Manual EQ, Auto Room EQ, and the very subjective opinions. :D

B

bradycl98321

Audiophyte
Best in terms of what? Sound quality? Auto Room EQ? Resale value? Brand reputation? Hearsay? Myths? Measurements? Power Output? WiFi Remote App? Streaming App? HDMI compatibility? Reliability?
Of those? Sound quality, Power, Compatibility and Reliability. Honestly I'm leaning after a couple weeks research (and the fact that I have probably saved $500 more than I already had to spend staying at home anyways) towards the Denon x6500h. Now I just need to figure out how to get the best reputable deal on it.

B

bradycl98321

Audiophyte
Of those? Sound quality, Power, Compatibility and Reliability. Honestly I'm leaning after a couple weeks research (and the fact that I have probably saved $500 more than I already had to spend staying at home anyways) towards the Denon x6500h. Now I just need to figure out how to get the best reputable deal on it.
This is actually probably going to be just as hard for me--my own personal brand of obsessiveness--now that I've decided what I want, how do I now get the absolute best deal on it. Any advice? Just typing "x6500h" into google is not as helpful as I had hoped it would be.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
This is actually probably going to be just as hard for me--my own personal brand of obsessiveness--now that I've decided what I want, how do I now get the absolute best deal on it. Any advice? Just typing "x6500h" into google is not as helpful as I had hoped it would be.
check out Accessories4less they have a bunch of AVR’s

B

bradycl98321

Audiophyte
check out Accessories4less they have a bunch of AVR’s
So I've never considered a refurb with an investment like this before. But $600 less with a 3 year warranty--is this something those of you in the know would do?

J

jwdhelaman

Enthusiast
I don't know how you feel about buying a factory rebuilt AVR. My Yamaha 3070 was bought from Acessories4less and it came with a great Yamaha 18 month warranty. There are 2 things that has impressed me. It came in a factory packaging and looked brand new. I've talked to others that bought factory rebuilt AVRs and they said that Yamaha has the best reputation for taking care of equipment. If I ever had a question about the units, all I had to do is email them and they responded by the next day. I just installed the latest firmware 2.70 and installed it. I missed a couple of firmwares, so I emailed them and they told me that the latest firmware would bring it up to date with all the firmwares. The 2.70 firmware installed something to do with eARC as well as updating the unit with Dolby Vision and HDR10 (I think). With my 7.2.4 unit, 4K UHD movies sound and look great. Look around for a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3080 AVR that is factory rebuilt. I got the best price and service from Accessories4less.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So I've never considered a refurb with an investment like this before. But $600 less with a 3 year warranty--is this something those of you in the know would do?
I picked up a Yamaha TSR-7790 over three years ago the AVR came out in 2015 new @849.00 I got it for 299.00 + 9.99 for the shipping. I’ve done 6 updates on it. I’ve never had a issue with it. Opening up the box, it was packed like it came from the Factory. Looked new not a Scratch or dent on it. I’m using it in my bedroom now. Best bang for the buck i’ve ever spent on a AVR. So going Refurbish plus you’ll save 600 bucks? sweet deal in my book. You could buy the 5 year warranty from them you’ll get 2 more years of warranty but I would bet 5 years from now that AVR will be outdated with 8K out already so.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The refurbs at A4L come from a factory designated facility that does repack them in new boxes and makes sure basic accessories are still with it (sending it back overseas to the actual factory of course wouldn't be feasible :) ). It isn't the same box as a new unit, tho. Sometimes a refurb has limited warranty, sometimes it has a full warranty (3 years is all the better Denons would come with new unless that's changed recently).

That said, I did have two bad Denon refurbs from A4L (on a 4520) but they took care of me and I ended up buying a new closeout instead for $100 more from them in the end as I didn't want a third refurb....just the setup/breakdown times and shipping times were annoying enough even though I still had a backup avr to use. Understanding their terms of sale are key in dealing with A4L: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/cms/terms/terms-and-conditions/1.html and in my case they even went a few days beyond their terms on the second bad one, so props to them. I still buy from them, I'm just not as impressed with the facility supposedly checking them out (and fwiw my understanding is the majority of refurbs are simply returned units and not necessarily with issues).

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I purchased a refurbished Denon avr-x3600 from them about 3 months ago. I spent about 30 minutes inspecting everything and could not tell that it was ever touched. I would have no problem referring a refurbished unit from them to a friend.

L

LORDROOTMAN

Audiophyte
I’m using Sony STR ZA5000ES 38ibs got from authorized dealer eBay( $950) I’m super happy with it after trying Marantz Onkyo and denon There’s no WiFi or Bluetooth but I don’t need those Apple TV 4K is taking care of that
Sounds amazing easy to set up runs cool I never turn off check it out

B

bradycl98321

Audiophyte
I ended up ordering the refurb x6500h from a4l with Denon 3-year warranty for $1599. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I ended up ordering the refurb x6500h from a4l with Denon 3-year warranty for $1599. I'll let you all know how it turns out!
The 3 year warranty clinches it for me. I picked up my SR6011 from there when they ran a special with a 3 year warranty. I've had it for about that long now... never had an issue.

Like HD said, just make sure you know what you're getting into IF there should be any problems.
The refurbs at A4L come from a factory designated facility that does repack them in new boxes and makes sure basic accessories are still with it (sending it back overseas to the actual factory of course wouldn't be feasible :) ). It isn't the same box as a new unit, tho. Sometimes a refurb has limited warranty, sometimes it has a full warranty (3 years is all the better Denons would come with new unless that's changed recently).

That said, I did have two bad Denon refurbs from A4L (on a 4520) but they took care of me and I ended up buying a new closeout instead for $100 more from them in the end as I didn't want a third refurb....just the setup/breakdown times and shipping times were annoying enough even though I still had a backup avr to use. Understanding their terms of sale are key in dealing with A4L: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/cms/terms/terms-and-conditions/1.html and in my case they even went a few days beyond their terms on the second bad one, so props to them. I still buy from them, I'm just not as impressed with the facility supposedly checking them out (and fwiw my understanding is the majority of refurbs are simply returned units and not necessarily with issues).
I remember your story. Glad they took care of you in the end, but their process does sound pretty cumbersome. Especially if you run into some bad luck like you did.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 3 year warranty clinches it for me. I picked up my SR6011 from there when they ran a special with a 3 year warranty. I've had it for about that long now... never had an issue.

Like HD said, just make sure you know what you're getting into IF there should be any problems.

I remember your story. Glad they took care of you in the end, but their process does sound pretty cumbersome. Especially if you run into some bad luck like you did.
Their end of the process wasn't bad at all....it was unhooking everything when sending it back then recalibrating everything on re-installation a coupla times I found cumbersome :).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis