Looking for a new receiver

B

bradycl98321

Audiophyte
Just moved, new space, lots of years since my last move or gear update, a little bit of money saved up, time for some new gear. I've got a 75" Samsung Q8, and I'm looking at SVS Prime Pinnacle Surround system plus one of their subs for the speakers. But I don't have the space (300 square feet of loft) to go more than 5.1. I don't want to spend more than $2k or so, but I want the most I get can get visually and audio-quality wise. An 11+ channel system seems a waste, but is it the only way to get the quality and the beef and the technology? I'm completely brand agnostic. What do you all suggest?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Kind of a high proportion of spending on speaker/sub vs electronics IMO. You can do quite well for far less in avrs. Video quality isn't really part of the avr's job these days (it was always more about upscaling older video to current format IMO), your tv is likely quite sufficient in that regard on its own. Audio quality in what way? You looking for a particular flavor of dsp/room eq? Certain amount of power/low impedance capability? Really mostly about the features/connectivity/processing/amp section you want. For amp flexibility units with full set of pre-outs on an avr is always nice, tho. If I were shopping now I'd probably look at Denon's 3xxx and 4xxx range, maybe a 6xxx if you want to spend 2k.

For $2k tho something like an Outlaw 976 pre-pro with their 7000X amp could be another way to go. Doesn't come with all (but most) of the bells and whistles but seemingly sufficient for your needs now at least.

ps Welcome to the NW!? :)

B

bradycl98321

Audiophyte
Just moved from Lake Stevens to Buckley so not too far... Thankfully we got into our house at the end of January before all of... this happened, but I have some good time while I'm wfh to do some research and catch my knowledge back up. My last AVR purchase was an HK AVR 550 that served me well for a *very* long time, but obviously it wasn't going to do what I want to anymore with a good 2018 vintage 4k Samsung and everything Dolby has come up with in the last 20 years.

I was looking at the Marantz SR8012, but obviously it's spendy, and I was wondering if I could get that kind of a full suite of bells and whistles but also power and accuracy a little cheaper since I have fewer channels to drive. But maybe in the space I have and with the fewer speakers I can make some compromises and still get a really clean sound even when I get loud?

B

bradycl98321

Audiophyte
Admittedly, the Denon x6500h looks awfully pretty. If I think I like that one in general, what other brands/models should I be comparing it with?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well most of the Denon avrs look similar and have for a while, I never choose an avr for aesthetics, altho black does work for me. That's near the flagship level so compare it to similar in other lines. That said, the 3600 or 4500 isn't that different in several respects and you can always add a more powerful amp anyways. Keep in mind it takes a doubling of power to merely gain 3dB spl....

B

bradycl98321

Audiophyte
Hahaha! Well, I meant pretty under the hood, but a good setup always looks amazing too. :cool: I guess I should ask, what are the most respected lines these days? I see that Denon and Marantz are up there and it seems like Pioneer is more respected than it was 20 years ago... I imagine Onkyo? Who else? Anyone come along in the last 20 years that I haven't even heard of yet?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Denon and Marantz are often very similar, being owned by the same company, marketing is the bigger difference often. Yamaha has a very good reputation still (and continuous Yamaha ownership). Onkyo/Integra absorbed Pioneer and they're probably more similar than different now, too. Those are the largest of the consumer brands, there are boutique brands like NAD, Anthem, Arcam. Different room eq software among them all is one of the bigger differences....aside from price. Mostly it's about feature set and maybe connectivity options (altho they're mostly similar for now altho legacy connections are starting to become rarer).

I'm reminded by Erod about Sony. While not known for its room eq program, they are still contenders, particularly their ES series (had a feeling I'd left off a major one, tho)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I would go with the Yamaha RX-A2080 or RX-A3080 and do Atmos 5.1.2 or 5.1.4.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like Denon/Marantz myself and you can get most of the features you'd need in the Denon 3*** or 4*** series and for Marantz starting with the 6*** series. Anything above that and you just get a couple more channels (that you don't need) and a few more features, most of which I wouldn't use. Previous years' models are often heavily discounted and still plenty current for today's needs.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just moved, new space, lots of years since my last move or gear update, a little bit of money saved up, time for some new gear. I've got a 75" Samsung Q8, and I'm looking at SVS Prime Pinnacle Surround system plus one of their subs for the speakers. But I don't have the space (300 square feet of loft) to go more than 5.1. I don't want to spend more than $2k or so, but I want the most I get can get visually and audio-quality wise. An 11+ channel system seems a waste, but is it the only way to get the quality and the beef and the technology? I'm completely brand agnostic. What do you all suggest?
IMO, there's no real slight to a 5.1 system...do it well and you'll get rewarded every time you turn it on.

With your $2k.

I'm not sure if your thoughts are book shelf or floorstanders, but regardless...I would get the Denon 3600 and spend the extra money on the Ultras for your LCR...keep the Primes for the rear.

If down the road you have a larger space and maybe need more muscle, you have the pre-outs there to add the exterior amp.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Here’s the best deal on the net, Onkyo TX-RZ820 449.00 new 3 years warranty Amazon

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
IMO, there's no real slight to a 5.1 system...do it well and you'll get rewarded every time you turn it on.

With your $2k.

I'm not sure if your thoughts are book shelf or floorstanders, but regardless...I would get the Denon 3600 and spend the extra money on the Ultras for your LCR...keep the Primes for the rear.

If down the road you have a larger space and maybe need more muscle, you have the pre-outs there to add the exterior amp.
I would get the Denon avr-x 4500 over the 3600. I have the 3600 and it is fantastic and I have only one complaint about it not allowing cross upmixing. The OP is only worried about 5.1 and not Atmos so I would think if he can find a 3400/3500 it would have everything he needs plus save money that he could put towards his speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

With your $2k.

Uh oh... did you just say the magic words??

I second saving on amplification and upgrading to the Ultras! I have the towers and bookshelves and love them. They're very accurate, neutral speakers and can handle lots of power. I've never bottomed them out or even heard them misbehave, even at some pretty extreme volumes. They're not just loud tho. Like I said, they're also accurate and detailed. They're just also good at maintaining their composure at high volumes.

They also have a very generous return policy, which is partly what got me to give them a shot. I knew after the first day they weren't going back tho. I stopped realistically looking for speakers after the Ultras. I say realistically because I will never stop looking for better speakers, whether or not I can actually afford to buy them is another story, lol.

*Edit: This video also helped sway me. Gene and Hugo seemed very pleasantly surprised by how good they sounded. The towers are basically the bookshelves on steroids with much deeper bass extension. If you have a sub or 2 in the mix the bookshelves will get you 95% of the way there, IME. YMMV, etc.

Last edited:
E

Erod

Audioholic
I've owned Sony, B&K, Integra, Marantz, Denon, and Anthem.

Anthem is by far the best of the group in my experience.

2channel lover

I would get the Denon avr-x 4500 over the 3600. I have the 3600 and it is fantastic and I have only one complaint about it not allowing cross upmixing. The OP is only worried about 5.1 and not Atmos so I would think if he can find a 3400/3500 it would have everything he needs plus save money that he could put towards his speakers.
I'm not sure if atmos is in play, but I agree if you can find 3500...referred it several times and all like it....agreed...my point all along on the savings.

M

mx416

Audioholic
I as well would say the denon 3xxx or 4xxx. Also as pogre mentioned, do yourself a favor and get the ultras if you can.

2channel lover

Uh oh... did you just say the magic words??

I second saving on amplification and upgrading to the Ultras! I have the towers and bookshelves and love them. They're very accurate, neutral speakers and can handle lots of power. I've never bottomed them out or even heard them misbehave, even at some pretty extreme volumes. They're not just loud tho. Like I said, they're also accurate and detailed. They're just also good at maintaining their composure at high volumes.

They also have a very generous return policy, which is partly what got me to give them a shot. I knew after the first day they weren't going back tho. I stopped realistically looking for speakers after the Ultras. I say realistically because I will never stop looking for better speakers, whether or not I can actually afford to buy them is another story, lol.

*Edit: This video also helped sway me. Gene and Hugo seemed very pleasantly surprised by how good they sounded. The towers are basically the bookshelves on steroids with much deeper bass extension. If you have a sub or 2 in the mix the bookshelves will get you 95% of the way there, IME. YMMV, etc.

Yes I did...knowing you had these and the reputation of the Ultras made this an easy decision....Far better than spending $2k on an AVR!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned Sony, B&K, Integra, Marantz, Denon, and Anthem.

Anthem is by far the best of the group in my experience.
Best in terms of what? Sound quality? Auto Room EQ? Resale value? Brand reputation? Hearsay? Myths? Measurements? Power Output? WiFi Remote App? Streaming App? HDMI compatibility? Reliability?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Best in terms of what? Sound quality? Auto Room EQ? Resale value? Brand reputation? Hearsay? Myths? Measurements? Power Output? WiFi Remote App? Streaming App? HDMI compatibility? Reliability?
Great questions, and depending on the answers, my next question may be, verifiable facts, or just a matter of personal opinions/preference? If the latter then it would mean little to others who may or may not experience/perceive the same.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis