Looking for a Home Theater System

C

Chrissypiee

Audiophyte
I'm using it for gaming, movies, and tv. My price range is around $600 or less bit if I have to pay for better sound and customer care I will. I like to turn up the volume pretty high up there so anything that doesn't blow up in a couple of months would be nice and I don't really need a blu-ray player. I was thinking about buying the ONKYO HT-S6300 7.1.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't go for the system you have in mind, I don't think it will stand too much abuse. For $600 with your criteria, I would get a used receiver and a couple of powerful full range speakers. Klipsch speakers are pretty robust and handle loud volumes very well. I would look on ebay or craigslist for used Klipsch Heresys, Cornwalls, many of the KG series, or any klipsch that looks big and intimidating. You might also try some BIC Acoustechs, this line of speaker were made to blaze and withstand abuse. With any of these speakers, your hearing will be damaged well before the speakers could get blown.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I think the all-in-one units simply sacrifice sound quality for convenience and cost. If you have to have it all at once, that's fine but with some careful selections and some bargain hunting, you could put together a much better sounding system.

An entry level receiver with a pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub is a great affordable place to start. From there, you have lots of options. You can add the center and surrounds later or you can upgrade the fronts later, add the center speaker for the new fronts and move the bookshelfs to surround duty. This way may cost a bit more, take more time to research, shop and acquire but the payoff in sound quality is worth the effort and expense.

audioAl

audioAl

Enthusiast
Yamaha RX 465

At $300.00 the above receiver and Two used Klispch fronts and a 10" subwolf is a good start. Ebay and other audio used sites will net you an affordable system to add to later, I love my new Yamaha!Cheers!Alan

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you are on a budget and can go with in-walls, then Monoprice has some in-wall 8" 3-way speakers which get loud and sound very respectible for the price. Paired with a entry level receiver and then save up for a GOOD subwoofer, and you can really make things sound amazing.

The hard part is the subwoofer I think. I've just never heard a cheap subwoofer that sounds good.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I think the all-in-one units simply sacrifice sound quality for convenience and cost. If you have to have it all at once, that's fine but with some careful selections and some bargain hunting, you could put together a much better sounding system.

An entry level receiver with a pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub is a great affordable place to start. From there, you have lots of options. You can add the center and surrounds later or you can upgrade the fronts later, add the center speaker for the new fronts and move the bookshelfes to surround duty. This way may cost a bit more, take more time to research, shop and acquire but the payoff in sound quality is worth the effort and expense.
+1 I agree with this suggestion (and many of the others) completely. Starting with a good 2.1 system and adding to it is always the best solution. Something like a pair of Infinity P163 bookshelves ($210-280/pr), a $200 12" subwoofer from Bic or Dayton, and Denon AVR-591 receiver. Yes you're going a bit over budget but you have something to build on. Later as money allows add the matched PC251 center ($130) and P153 ($220/pr) bookshelves as your surrounds. The difference is that you have a system that ROCKS!

However if you have your heart set on an all-in-one HTIB then I'd probably go up market a bit to a system with decent speakers and save enough buying factory re-certified to stay within budget. The nice thing about Onkyo HTIB systems, and what sets them apart from most others, is that they include a decent receiver. One that allows you to upgrade the speakers and subwoofer over time and as money allows. I have not heard this one but the specs look pretty good for a HTIB.

S

SocyFisher

Enthusiast
Choosing the right home theater system for you is a big decision to make and with so many options in the market today, that can make it more complicated. I've read good reviews on ONKYO HT-S6300 7.1 an its quite cheap to start your own home theater. Good choice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis