looking for a good set of stereo speakers for my computer.

K

Kestrell

Enthusiast
I use my computer speakers a good bit and have gone through several set of very poor quality speakers. I want
a good set but speakers but I have zero knowledge about. Does computer capacity limit what I can expect?
I am willing to spend a fair amount ($100-$350 but don't want to spend on something that isn't beneficial) to get
speakers that I can understand and get ample volume out of. Help! Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So assuming your computer speakers are self-powered, and you want another similar pair so you don't have to separately buy an amp I'd consider JBL LSR305 perhaps (they're on mk2 now, I have the original versions myself). Maybe the Kali LP-6.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have size restrictions for your computer speakers?
If not, I second the recommendations lovin gave you (above).

However, while it is definitely not in the same league as the JBL or Kali, ... just because it is a very good discount on a decent (for what it is) PC speaker, I will point out that the Klipsch Pro media system can be had for $60 used and $80 open box:

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

What size cabinets can you accommodate on your desk, raised up so that the tweeters are pointed at your ear level and on risers to not vibrate on the desk (measure things).

What is the source you're using off the PC (optical output, other)?

Very best,

K

Kestrell

Enthusiast
Thanks fellas, I really appreciate the replies. I ordered a JBL LSR305P set today. It is due for delivery Saturday. The rep said it should full fill my needs nicely.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks fellas, I really appreciate the replies. I ordered a JBL LSR305P set today. It is due for delivery Saturday. The rep said it should full fill my needs nicely.
Congrats.Did you get an appropriate cable to connect with?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Chances are, your sound signal outputs on your computer will be very noisy, and that will in turn make your JBL monitors noisy. They have sensitive inputs that pick up everything. You will probably need a high quality DAC for clean outputs to the JBL. Some of the Topping ones are supposed to be very good and are reasonably priced. There are also audio interfaces like this PreSonus or this Focusrite. I really like this MOTU M2.

K

Kestrell

Enthusiast
One 10' and one 20' cable so I can move them around on my counter top as desired. He said I also needed an audio interface and included a "scarSG3 2 x 2 scarlett solo usb audio interface". will this work? Thanks for your help>

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One 10' and one 20' cable so I can move them around on my counter top as desired. He said I also needed an audio interface and included a "scarSG3 2 x 2 scarlett solo usb audio interface". will this work? Thanks for your help>
He threw in a $120 unit for buying the speakers? What cables did you buy? How much did you pay for the set? Yes, that could alleviate analog output issues from your computer and make some of the cabling easier as well...

K

Kestrell

Enthusiast
$298 speakers
$119 interface
$ 13 BP10 TRSM-TRSM CABLE
$ 17 bp20 TRSM-TRSM CABLE

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Report back after setup please!

ps FWIW I paid $180 for my pair of LSR305s :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How long have you had them? Will do. Thanks. Al
Almost 3 years now I think but yours are a slightly updated version (haven't seen measurement comparisons fwiw). I do like them. They've measured generally quite well but have their limitations overall I they're a great value.

K

Kestrell

Enthusiast
A report on my speaker project: Speakers received Sat and my son in law helped me hook them up today. They don't look as large as I thought they may. They look nice. They are heavy and just feel as if they are well constructed. They ran for a while and just cut off. I let them set for and hour or so, cranked the system and it ran for a while and cut off. I let it set for an hour or so and restarted it again. It ran for 16 minutes by my watch and cut off again. Quality of sound is excellent I am well pleased with everything except the cutting off. All indications are that once I get them to stay running they are going solve my problems and be perfect for my needs. It is as they are running long enough to get warm and cutting off. I have let them set for 15 minutes or so and tried them again. This timed they worked for 12 minutes before cutting off. Any thoughts as what the problem may be?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A report on my speaker project: Speakers received Sat and my son in law helped me hook them up today. They don't look as large as I thought they may. They look nice. They are heavy and just feel as if they are well constructed. They ran for a while and just cut off. I let them set for and hour or so, cranked the system and it ran for a while and cut off. I let it set for an hour or so and restarted it again. It ran for 16 minutes by my watch and cut off again. Quality of sound is excellent I am well pleased with everything except the cutting off. All indications are that once I get them to stay running they are going solve my problems and be perfect for my needs. It is as they are running long enough to get warm and cutting off. I have let them set for 15 minutes or so and tried them again. This timed they worked for 12 minutes before cutting off. Any thoughts as what the problem may be?
Are both channels cutting off and at the same time? If so that would indicate the problem is upstream of the speaker either at your audio interface or at your computer. If it were a laptop my first thought is to make sure it's not going to sleep on you and discontinuing playing music.
Let us know if both speakers are shutting off at the same time and I'm sure people that are better at this than I am will help you figure it out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never had an issue like that. Happens simultaneously like KEW wonders? Sounds almost like an overdriven amp doing a self-protective shut down. Where do you have gain set on the speakers? Does the interface have a gain control?

K

Kestrell

Enthusiast
Kew, That makes sense. lovinthehd, Don't know what the interface has. Don't like to be so ignorant on the subject but I am a total novice on this eqp. Both speakers shutting off at the same time. After setting over an hour I just tried again. Ran for 13 minutes. let it set for only 15 minutes, cut it on and it ran for 1 minute. my interface is a "scarSG3 2x2 scarlott solo usb auto interface".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I take it you do not have a cable to bypass the interface and just input something directly to the speakers?

What settings did you make on the interface? Did you use its manual to set things up? I'd stop making it go into shutdown, though (i.e. stop doing that!). Where is gain set on the speakers?

Last edited:
K

Kestrell

Enthusiast
I do not have a way to by pass the interface. I told the darn thing to quit shutting off like that.
IT WON't listen. I will call the guy I bought the set from tomorrow. I told him this eqp. was above my pay grade and I may need to call him. He said to feel free to do so. I really appreciate the help you folks have been. You are helping me to gain a little understanding of it. I will keep in touch. I think this set is going to be fantastic once we get the kinks worked out. Really looking forward to that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm thinking the gain on the interface is too high and/or the gain on the speakers' amps.....sometimes you just need to find a good balance rather than test extremes but details of where everything is currently set on the interface would help....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis