Looking for a few more pointers...

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Hey again guys,

I just posted about some speakers that I was thinking about buying, which I did. Now the question is... I have three receivers; an Onkyo HT-R160, an older Sony 5.0 receiver (forgot the model number), and a newish Sony 5.1 receiver from a HTiB setup.
It may be a dumb question, but is it possible to say, have the audio out from my TV split to two, or all three, receivers and virtually have two (or three) sets of speakers at the same time? Or would that be a bad idea? I'm not the most audiophillic person so to me this seems like a cheap way to get a 9.2 or even higher system.

Any suggestions?

If speaker model numbers would help, I can layout the numbers here too..

A

AV_Integrated

Audiophyte
9.2 systems would mean 9 separate audio channels and 2 separate subwoofer channels. What it sounds like you are doing is trying to get a 5.1 system with multiple speakers in certain locations.

Which typically is not a good way to do audio due to interference.

Get good speakers, put them in the proper locations, then supply them with adequate power.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
9.2 systems would mean 9 separate audio channels and 2 separate subwoofer channels. What it sounds like you are doing is trying to get a 5.1 system with multiple speakers in certain locations.

Which typically is not a good way to do audio due to interference.

Get good speakers, put them in the proper locations, then supply them with adequate power.
I'm not sure if I completely understand what you are saying. Or maybe I wasn't clear enough. Either way, I'll try to clear up what I meant at least. It's pretty much guaranteed more my fault than yours so...

The TV audio out channel would be the rca red/white cable dealio. Couldn't I just get a splitter to get 2 reds/whites and hook those up to the separate receivers. Then each receiver would be running it's own set of speakers?

Or if not for all in one room, would it be possible to do the same sort of set up, and put the speakers in a different room almost like a second zone? The Onkyo receiver does support two zones, but I'd like to have more than stereo in another room if possible...

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I wouldn't recommend trying to combine your components to do more than 5.1 in the same room. The resulting sound would not be optimal. Each component would be replicating sound without any regarding for frequecies being played by the other components. You will end up cancelling some sound, reinforcing others. Sell one of them, and use the other in another room for 5.1 there.

You can split your main signal in a number of different ways. Far too many options to include in one simple post

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis