Looking for a beefy TV stand that can hold alot of weight

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Does anyone know of a beefy but attractive wood TV stand that could hold a 90lb 7-channel Monoprice Monolith amp, Yamaha Preamp, center channel, and 55" TV? I'm worried because most TV stands I've seen only hold support 60 lbs on the shelves. I have windows behind where my TV would go so I can't wall mount it, and I need room for a center channel on the stand too. I don't want something that will fall apart, but it's going in my living room so I don't want it to look like somthing industrial either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How wide do you need for the tv's pedestal/stand? How high do you want the stand to be for your tv viewing/center channel listening? Where did you envision the speaker? What are the speaker's dims?

I usually start here for ideas https://www.standsandmounts.com/flatscreentvstands.aspx. They seem to have some good choices depending just how you want to go with number of shelves, width, where you want the center, etc...or might inspire a diy solution.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Salamander Synergy BEEFY

https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/synergy-system/

Have had mine since i had my old CRT TV which was 240lbs. lol.
These looks very nice, and the manufacturer have even thought about cooling as the the doors have a screen. I assume that there are holes in the back so that hot air can escape.

Since you had a heavy TV: Did the wood bend under pressure over time? This is a weak point of wooden AV furniture.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
How wide do you need for the tv's pedestal/stand? How high do you want the stand to be for your tv viewing/center channel listening? Where did you envision the speaker? What are the speaker's dims?

I usually start here for ideas https://www.standsandmounts.com/flatscreentvstands.aspx. They seem to have some good choices depending just how you want to go with number of shelves, width, where you want the center, etc...or might inspire a diy solution.
Thanks, I could have a max of 60" wide thinking of having the TV around 35" high to the bottom of the TV and I would get a Salk Supercharged SongCenter 23 W x 8 H x 14 D . Center roughly at ear height below the TV. I could get some auralex mopads to angle it up or down if needed. Getting a Yamaha Cx-A5200 with an Outlaw or Monoprice 7 channel amp, a blu ray player, record player, and 55" LG Oled TV. That's all I need to put on the stand.

This one might work - https://www.standsandmounts.com/TransDecoGlassTVStandwithMountingSystemfor35to65inchScreensTD600DB.aspx

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks that's a really good idea for my room! That would help make it easier to find some furniture!
I use something like that for my TV too, because my center is too large to have both it and the TV. It works, but now that I want to upgrade my TV to a larger size, my rack is tall enough that the TV will be partially blocked. Just factor that in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RQ9TVI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those look really nice, I wonder if they are expensive? They don't say prices on their website.
They're pretty pricey, but also infinitely configurable. You can check Amazon for various standard configurations to get an idea of prices. I got mine for a great price when a local shop was closing down.

These looks very nice, and the manufacturer have even thought about cooling as the the doors have a screen. I assume that there are holes in the back so that hot air can escape.

Since you had a heavy TV: Did the wood bend under pressure over time? This is a weak point of wooden AV furniture.
There are various options for the back, slotted, an actual fan option, extended for amps, and open. I leave mine open because of the depth of my amp and it makes wiring easier. I have glass doors and mesh sides. The wood is solid wood, it isn't going to sag. I had that TV on there for ~2 years, no issue (mine is a Tripple 30 with a support in the center).

Last edited:
B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Maybe I'm just over thinking this.
1. I want the center channel to be at ear height when sitting.
2. I want the TV to be at eye level when sitting.

So I put the center on top of a TV stand, with some sorbothane feet to isolate the vibrations from the TV stand. Then I put the TV on top of the center. If the center is 14" deep and the TV base is 9" deep the TV should be fine on top of it, with an old towel in between to protect the wood of the center.

How do other people usually do it, to have the center at ear level and the TV at eye level? I don't want the TV raised up really high, then I'd have to strain my neck watching it.

Or maybe, buy some wood and built a simple custom shelf to set the TV on right behind the center, so that the bottom of the TV screen just clears the top of the center. It would be behind the center so you wouldn't see it, it wouldn't have to be fancy.

J

jlm86

Audioholic Intern
What did you find eventually?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
What did you find eventually?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hi, yea I never ended up getting a Monoprice amp, so I put my center channel on top of my wooden TV stand and then I have the TV sitting on top of the center. It has been working ok since last year.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis