Looking for 5.1 speakers recommendation in $5-6K range

M

mgsylvestre

Enthusiast
This is my first post, I am quite new at this and I am not an electrical engineer, so keep your responses at an accessible level please!

My question is the following. I would like to procure speakers for a basic 5.1 configuration (is this the correct designation) i.e. 2 fronts, 1 center, 2 surrounds and 1 (or 2?) subwoofers.

Price is a consideration and I am looking to spend no more than maybe about $5 or 6K total (Canadian) on the speakers including the wiring. I could spend more than that, but price is a consideration and I am not about to spend tens of thousands of dollars on this. I am not sure that I could hear or appreciate the difference in any event and I have to assume that my budget is about were the "sweet spot" i.e. quality gain would rapidly start to decline at prices higher than that.

My budget is also a limit, not an objective, and I would obviously prefer to spend less if I can get a lower cost "equivalent".

Availability is obviously also a consideration. I live in Montreal, Canada. I don't mind ordering over the internet and I am in no rush.

I was looking at the Paradigm studio 100 based strictly on reviews after doing a little research, but read negative comments on these boards in that regard.

The speakers would be used in a living room which is 5m long and 4m wide. The living room opens on a dining room which is 3.5m long and 3m wide. There is no separation between the rooms. I assume that the fact that the dining room is narrower may create problems, but I have no alternative.

Any suggestions regarding the speakers?

I am also looking for speaker wires and noticed that there are some outrageously priced brands on the market. I have to assume that it is not necessary to spend thousands of dollars on wires and that there are not that many variables (gauge, type and quality of metal, resistance, inductance?etc.) to put under control. Any suggestions on that also?

Regards,

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Welcome and Enjoy your quest!

This is my first post, I am quite new at this and I am not an electrical engineer, so keep your responses at an accessible level please!
Mgsylvestre,
Welcome to the forum! I think you will find most folks around here do not provide EE answers unless a technical question is posed. My thoughts are included below, and other more knowledgable folks will contribute even better ideas.

FWIW: I am probably one of only a few Americans who have visited; North Bay, Whitehorse, and Yellowknife. (I may need a new travel agent :) )

My question is the following. I would like to procure speakers for a basic 5.1 configuration (is this the correct designation) i.e. 2 fronts, 1 center, 2 surrounds and 1 (or 2?) subwoofers.

Price is a consideration and I am looking to spend no more than maybe about $5 or 6K total (Canadian) on the speakers including the wiring. I could spend more than that, but price is a consideration and I am not about to spend tens of thousands of dollars on this. I am not sure that I could hear or appreciate the difference in any event and I have to assume that my budget is about were the "sweet spot" i.e. quality gain would rapidly start to decline at prices higher than that.

My budget is also a limit, not an objective, and I would obviously prefer to spend less if I can get a lower cost "equivalent".
Within that budget, you should be able to procure an excellent set of speakers and given the size of your room I would consider getting two subs to help even out the bass.

Availability is obviously also a consideration. I live in Montreal, Canada. I don't mind ordering over the internet and I am in no rush.

I was looking at the Paradigm studio 100 based strictly on reviews after doing a little research, but read negative comments on these boards in that regard.
There are other excellent Canadian speaker manufacturers in addition to Paradigm, such as PSB (run by Canadian engineer/designer Paul Barton).

The PSB Image series is wallet friendly, and the Imagine or Synchrony lines are excellent at more additional cost respectively.

The speakers would be used in a living room which is 5m long and 4m wide. The living room opens on a dining room which is 3.5m long and 3m wide. There is no separation between the rooms. I assume that the fact that the dining room is narrower may create problems, but I have no alternative.
This room layout should not cause any major problems, but it does suggest you will need larger speakers (vice small satellite speakers) and reasonable amplification to provide a pleasant volume in that space.

You already made a wise decision to go with 5.1, vice 7.1, since you do not have a readily available back wall for the last two speakers (not important anyway).

Any suggestions regarding the speakers?
Some other brands you may want to demo if possible are: Canton (Germany); Wharfdale, and B&W (England); Salk and RBH (USA) to name but a few.

I am also looking for speaker wires and noticed that there are some outrageously priced brands on the market. I have to assume that it is not necessary to spend thousands of dollars on wires and that there are not that many variables (gauge, type and quality of metal, resistance, inductance?etc.) to put under control. Any suggestions on that also?
DO NOT WASTE MONEY HERE! - Just use Monoprice.com 12 or 14 guage speaker wire and their $2 (US) banana plugs to provide an excellent signal to whichever speakers you choose. Another reputable (no snake oil) company with reasonable prices is Blue Jeans Cable.

Speaker Wire Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239 Use the in-wall wire if you have an in-wall application.

Banana Plug Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=2

Cheers Eh, :D
XEagleDriver

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hey fellow Canadian, how you do?

Hi, and Welcome to Audioholics forums. :)

Here's my suggestion to you (by the way, I'm originally from Montreal too, but I now live in Victoria, British Columbia):
Ok, go to your Paradigm dealer, talk to a person that you feel you can relate too, and explain to him what you just posted here. Ask him to audition some Paradigm Reference Studio 20s (their latest version) with the Paradigm DSP-3400 subwoofer. Also, listen to some of the Paradigm Signature Series with a sub like the Sevo 15.
If that dealer is doing a good job, he'll know what are the best matches, and the speakers for you to audition. Don't talk money, talk Quality Sound.

* But so far, from my understanding, you don't really need to spend that much, unless you are a true Audiophile with some high end gear.
You seem to be after quality audio, and value good service and smart recommendations. The size of your room, the type of music & movies you listen and watch, the volume level at what you prefer listening, your room characteristics, the people that share this room with you, are all elements to consider meticulously, for the audio nirvana that you're after.
That's why I recommend that you go out auditioning speakers in your spare time, and that you listen to as many as you can, bringing with you your favorite music, and take the time to just do so.
This is by far the best advice that I can give to someone like you.

Cheers,
Bob

P

pthoresen

Audioholic Intern
Have you considered Axiom as well?
I do not own them but they really get rave reviews
and apparently some people find them a little bright.

Check out this example:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic80_600.html

They have a wizard to walk you through a fw points as well.

good luck!

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
Judge speakers based on your own ears

Don't necessarily listen to "web blog" opinions, including mine here. The best thing to do is to visit various audio stores and listen to a variety of speaker brands. I just bought a Paradigm Studio v.5 system (2 100s, 1 CC-590, 2 ADP-590, and a Sub 12, along with the PBK-1 subwoofer calibration system) a few months ago and I love the way these speakers sound. Unfortunately, the cost of this system is a bit out of your price range, around $7800 American (without tax) including the $300 for the PBK-1. The various speakers listed by others here are also very good speakers, but listen to them first before buying to see which you like the best.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
For 6,000 I would get two SVS PB13-Ultras for 3,000 and use the remaining 3,000 on five speakers you enjoy (600.00 per speaker) What we like in sound, you may not, but at 600/speaker you have options.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis