Looking at the Marantz Cinema 60

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Hi folks,

I'm currently running an Anthem MRX 510 and looking to move on to the Marantz Cinema 60. I'd like to get more current with the hdmi, as the 510 is 1.3. I'd also like to just be able to plug my Roku stick into the receiver so I can achieve the highest level of audio proformance. Currently have the roku in the TV, and a optical into the 510. I listen to a lot of lossless music and really love the audio end of the Anthem.

So, I'm wondering if I should consider any other units? The Cinema 60 $799 at Acessories 4 less, with a 6 year warranty. That is right in my wheel house as for price. Also would like to hear from anyone who owns the 60.

Thanks,

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi folks,

I'm currently running an Anthem MRX 510 and looking to move on to the Marantz Cinema 60. I'd like to get more current with the hdmi, as the 510 is 1.3. I'd also like to just be able to plug my Roku stick into the receiver so I can achieve the highest level of audio proformance. Currently have the roku in the TV, and a optical into the 510. I listen to a lot of lossless music and really love the audio end of the Anthem.

So, I'm wondering if I should consider any other units? The Cinema 60 $799 at Acessories 4 less, with a 6 year warranty. That is right in my wheel house as for price. Also would like to hear from anyone who owns the 60.

Thanks,
Have you known anyone who has ever used 3rd party warranty (not from manufactures)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If it lasts more than a year it might only need the 1 year manufacturer's warranty....but the little I've looked into those third party warranties, they seemed to cover less and less over time. At least it's free in this case, altho I don't see any details about the "4 year CPS free extension" at A4L, and at CPS' site this page even tho it indicates it has a link to full terms and conditions of such, the link just takes you back to the top of the page https://app.cpscentral.com/homeaudio-protection-plan.aspx

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
If it lasts more than a year it might only need the 1 year manufacturer's warranty....but the little I've looked into those third party warranties, they seemed to cover less and less over time. At least it's free in this case, altho I don't see any details about the "4 year CPS free extension" at A4L, and at CPS' site this page even tho it indicates it has a link to full terms and conditions of such, the link just takes you back to the top of the page https://app.cpscentral.com/homeaudio-protection-plan.aspx
Aren't all warranties just an endless circle? But I do see your point there. That is something to consider.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Aren't all warranties just an endless circle? But I do see your point there. That is something to consider.
Just food for thought. I bought two refurb Denons from them, both were faulty and had to be returned....and at the time of the second they were selling a new one with standard warranty for $100 more, so ended up doing that and I've purchased other things from them as well. Be sure you understand terms of sale at A4L. Many have no issues with their refurb purchases, tho. Too bad the Denon 3800 isn't priced similarly, would rather have that one (for higher version of Audyssey as well as option for Dirac). Might check this out https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/marantz-cinema-60/denon-avr-x3800h/

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Just food for thought. I bought two refurb Denons from them, both were faulty and had to be returned....and at the time of the second they were selling a new one with standard warranty for $100 more, so ended up doing that and I've purchased other things from them as well. Be sure you understand terms of sale at A4L. Many have no issues with their refurb purchases, tho. Too bad the Denon 3800 isn't priced similarly, would rather have that one (for higher version of Audyssey as well as option for Dirac). Might check this out https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/marantz-cinema-60/denon-avr-x3800h/
I like the denon too. Price point...... Ehhhh I can probably make it work.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm fully on board the x3800 train. I may bide my time and see if the price drops.
There is no comparison, the 3800 is equivalent to the Cinema 50. It is truly future proof, whereas the 60 is not.
On the other hand, $799 for the Cinema 60, if factory refurbished and is in top condition, then it is a great price. But then the saying, if it is too good to be true, it probably is not...

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
There is no comparison, the 3800 is equivalent to the Cinema 50. It is truly future proof, whereas the 60 is not.
On the other hand, $799 for the Cinema 60, if factory refurbished and is in top condition, then it is a great price. But then the saying, if it is too good to be true, it probably is not...
I feel that the Cinema 60, is just cheap components in a nice dress. Also feel like I'll be disappointed in the sound quality of anything below the Anthem. I might need a therapist....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I feel that the Cinema 60, is just cheap components in a nice dress. Also feel like I'll be disappointed in the sound quality of anything below the Anthem. I might need a therapist....
I think you need a therapist if you think all these units sound much different except for perhaps their style of dsp/room eq. The higher level of Audyssey and the inclusion of pre-outs I think makes it worth the jump up from the 2800.....YMMV.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I think you need a therapist if you think all these units sound much different except for perhaps their style of dsp/room eq. The higher level of Audyssey and the inclusion of pre-outs I think makes it worth the jump up from the 2800.....YMMV.
I do get hung up on these things. Now my locale dealer has the Cinema 50 for 1,500 with 5 year warranty. I should just get a Quasar boombox.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do get hung up on these things. Now my locale dealer has the Cinema 50 for 1,500 with 5 year warranty. I should just get a Quasar boombox.
LOL. Many do tend to associate price range of avrs with "sound quality"....sure, there are differences but in basic sound quality, not so much.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Haha I think you do, and we probably all need therapist sometime.:D:D Clearly, Anthem themselves told you they didn't have a "sound quality signature, or sort of.."., and most likely others such as Yamaha, will tell you the same, yet you, and you are not alone for sure, still seem to believe you have had heard different sound quality of different comparable AVR, even separates. Denon and Marantz will tell you the untrue, but that's because they are both own by the same, and the untrue part is mostly Marantz's (very obvious...). Anthem has no need to go beyond marketing style exaggeration because the owners just want to sell the Anthem brand, unlike Masimo, formerly Sound United.

There are just no logical, or technical reasons, it is illogical for designers/engineers to design for a certain sound quality, other than Anthem's correct approach, that is do the best to ensure what comes out will be as close to what goes in. That's for unprocessed sound, if processed, such as via DSPs then there will likely be differences between different avrs/avps, but to find out which one is "better" to you will be very difficult as you can imagine. Some people would order a few different models and compared them at home for hours and days, before deciding which one to keep, that, to me is just being silly unless there have the convenience to compare the different units under strictly controlled blind listening tests (as pointed out by various experts such as Harman's Dr. Olive, Toole (for them, they never seemed bother with electronics, but speakers, for the obvious reasons), among others.

Personally, I don't have any issues whatsoever switching between Denon, Marantz and Anthem's. They are all good so for my money, my criteria is not "sound quality" at all. I put things in quotes when I don't really know what exactly they mean.;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis