Long Room Speaker Setup

A

Astray

Enthusiast
The room I'm currently working on setting up my home theater in for an eventual 7.2.4 (starting with 7.2 initially) is kind of a wonky shape and I was hoping to get some input on how to set-up the speakers.
Room.png

I have an Denon X6400H with Infinity Reference speakers RC263, R263 L and R, and 4 R162s (8" width x 11" depth) for the satellites). My main concern are the satellite speakers, they are fairly big and I don't know if I want to wall mount them or buy stands. The room is missing the ideal side walls at the 90 degree area though I can probably put the side right on the table, but that would put it right next to my usual spot on the couch. There isn't a lot of room to move the couch or it blocks the main entrance to the room. I can put the rears on the back wall, but they'll be significant distance away from the main seating area. Another question I have is if I should direct the front speakers to myself. Worse comes to worse I can try to move the couch more to the left so my spot is more centered, but I'd rather not if possible. Suggestions?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Your speakers and your room work in unison as part of the play back system. But have no fear, there is no such thing as an 'ideal' room.

The goal should be to get nearly identical sound at all frequencies at each of your main 3 seats. The 2 seat area will simply have to be good enough given its odd placement in the sound field.

Start with the front L+R. Use familiar media on loop and adjust the distance of each speaker from the wall behind as well as adjacent until you hear one convincing 'image' from both speakers, at all 3 seats. You may 'toe in' the front of the speaker towards the center of the room as much as you like - again, you want the sound to be identical across your main seats.

For the side/rear 4 channels, just know that there is zero need for them to be a mirror image of the other on each wall. Some could be wall mounted, some could be stand mounted. The image makes it look like the main seats are centered between the front and rear wall - this is no good! The standing waves induced at low frequencies will cause a sound cancellation - meaning that being centered between the longest wall will cause you to be unable to hear certain bass frequencies at those seats.

I would suggest moving everything backwards so that you may utilize the left side wall between the doorways for one wall mounted side speaker, and then place the other on a stand so you can get your seats fitted around the sliding glass door. Ideally direct radiating speakers like yours will be placed just ahead of the ears(+/- 6 inches), towards the front of them room. If you have a friend handy, have them hold the speaker while in use and decide where each one sounds the most convincing to you.

And then of course Level Match each channel, I recommend using an SPL Meter to calibrate to 80 dB. Measure the amplitude of the noise from each channel, and try to adjust the levels so that you achieve roughly the same measurement from each seat.

A

Astray

Enthusiast
For the side/rear 4 channels, just know that there is zero need for them to be a mirror image of the other on each wall. Some could be wall mounted, some could be stand mounted. The image makes it look like the main seats are centered between the front and rear wall - this is no good! The standing waves induced at low frequencies will cause a sound cancellation - meaning that being centered between the longest wall will cause you to be unable to hear certain bass frequencies at those seats.
I would say the main seats are fairly centered in the room, but I wouldn't say they're dead centered. If I move too far backward I will be blocking access to the sliding glass door so I'll have to discuss with the roommates about that. We don't use it much but it's not something I can do unilaterally. Is this something that could be potentially addressed by moving the speakers and not the couch?

Ideally direct radiating speakers like yours will be placed just ahead of the ears(+/- 6 inches), towards the front of them room. If you have a friend handy, have them hold the speaker while in use and decide where each one sounds the most convincing to you.
I'm not exactly sure what you're describing here. Could show a picture of some kind about what you mean for clarification?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, that’s a tough one. Especially with the window. It’s hard to say what to without saying what I would do if it were MY room.
A couple things anyway.
The rear wall is too for away for rear surrounds to be very effective. I would stick to 5.1(.4 later). Going from 5 to 7 channels isn’t a huge deal, and 5.1.4 is way better than 7.1 or 7.1.2, so I would just leave the rear surrounds out.(fwiw I went from 5.3 to 7.3 and then 7.3.4. 5.1-7.1 is subtle albeit worthwhile if you can place the speakers appropriately.)
I would also give in to my audio ocd and move the couch to the left to the last millimeter before it was in the way, and then scoot my LP until I was centered. Then, as you mentioned, place the right surround on the table, and the left on a stand. Both just behind the couch. Maybe a foot.
Also, being in the center, or that close to the center of a room is usually horrible for bass response as it tends to create holes in frequency response, and you might find bass lacking. You’d have to move the couch fore or aft where it is, but I don’t know how much it would take to make a difference. Maybe only a couple feet?

If all stuff just won’t work, then I guess you’ll have to do what you can. Surround sound does work best when you can follow the lines closely, but it’s not like your considerations are deal breakers. I would however still vote against the rear surrounds. Considering that particular space of course.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I would say the main seats are fairly centered in the room, but I wouldn't say they're dead centered. If I move too far backward I will be blocking access to the sliding glass door so I'll have to discuss with the roommates about that. We don't use it much but it's not something I can do unilaterally. Is this something that could be potentially addressed by moving the speakers and not the couch?

I'm not exactly sure what you're describing here. Could show a picture of some kind about what you mean for clarification?
I have to agree with William and say that if your listening positions are fairly certain, then you would better off with just a 5 channel system with height channels later on.

Use your roommates to hold the 2 rear speakers and find their ideal location. Couches/chairs that block the ears means the speakers need be that much higher and tilted down. You want a convincing sense of envelopment at each of your 3 main seats.

Maybe repurpose the remaining two R162's in another room?

My comment regarding 7ch side surround placement - imagine the side surround speaker L+R of your head with the tweeter aimed at each ear. Now move those speakers toward the front of the room until the ears in the center of the couch are not obstructed by a listener on either side. Does that make more sense?

A

Astray

Enthusiast
I'm going to make some more measurements and try to get a better picture that is scaled properly. I think it might change some things.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s a good plan. Can you post a couple pics too?

A

Astray

Enthusiast
Sure, though I'm pretty busy for the next couple of weeks so it might be awhile before I get around to this unfortunately.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis