Long RCA or long Speakon cables

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I'm building some DIY subs (starting with one first, then planning to move towards quads if I like how the first turns out). Given the location of my rack relative to where the subs in the rear of the room will be, I'm not sure which is better: run a long RCA from my miniDSP to the amp, which could be located close to the rear subs, thereby using short speakon cables, or vice versa. If I locate the amp in the rack, one of my speakon cables will need to be a 50 footer. I'm wondering if, at 12 guage, that will hurt the performance. Ideally I'd like the amp in the rack.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I might be the wrong person to answer, but I think for a long run like that, balanced XLRs are supposed to be better. Hoping a friend better versed in this will chime in for you! :)
Otherwise, get the beefiest shielded RCA you can... My vote goes to Monoprice High Quality Subwoofer/Coax cable: its RG6 rated, double shielded, 18awg solid copper conductor... if you need long runs of that.
If you build your own with speakon connectors, I can't really comment as I don't have the experience yet, I'm afraid.
Hope this helps!!!

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Easily long RCA.

You wouldn’t run overly long speaker cables right?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I agree, if one has to have 'long cables' I prefer balanced XLR interconnects over long speaker cable runs.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Easily long RCA.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I might be the wrong person to answer, but I think for a long run like that, balanced XLRs are supposed to be better. Hoping a friend better versed in this will chime in for you! :)
Otherwise, get the beefiest shielded RCA you can... My vote goes to Monoprice High Quality Subwoofer/Coax cable: its RG6 rated, double shielded, 18awg solid copper conductor... if you need long runs of that.
If you build your own with speakon connectors, I can't really comment as I don't have the experience yet, I'm afraid.
Hope this helps!!!
My mini is unbalanced, so the xlrs are a no-go

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
@Russdawg1

Per a video I watched that Gene did, I use 14/4 and double them up for my rear surrounds (for all my speakers actually),getting an impedence roughly equal to 11guage wire. The charts I see say that 12 guage @ 4 ohms is good for 60 ft, but ask due to the power demands if such a heavy driver in a sealed can. I'm not sure if that changes things

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
QUOTE="Russdawg1, post: 1338616, member: 86768"]Easily long RCA.

Per a video I watched that Gene did, I use 14/4 and double them up for my rear surrounds (for all my speakers actually), getting an impedence roughly equal to 11guage wire. The charts I see say that 12 guage @ 4 ohms is good for 60 ft, but ask due to the power demands if such a heavy driver in a sealed can. I'm not sure if that changes things[/QUOTE]

Instead of minimal possible system performance degradation, why not have almost no degradation?

RCA is good for 100-200 ft depending on gauge.

It’s much cheaper too :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Per a video I watched that Gene did, I use 14/4 and double them up for my rear surrounds (for all my speakers actually), getting an impedence roughly equal to 11guage wire. The charts I see say that 12 guage @ 4 ohms is good for 60 ft, but ask due to the power demands if such a heavy driver in a sealed can. I'm not sure if that changes things
Instead of minimal possible system performance degradation, why not have almost no degradation?

RCA is good for 100-200 ft depending on gauge.

It’s much cheaper too :)[/QUOTE]
Right on- I think that's the info I need right there. Thanks hermano

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking about using an amp near my furthest subs with a long interconnect between avr and sub amp, but found that outlet near that sub was funky (a small electric room heater not even on high plus a light could trip the breaker) so just ran a long length of 12g (45 ft or so). I don't think I'm missing much if anything. If I were to change it to a doubled up 12g to effectively have 9g, doubt I'd notice the difference....

ps Try this https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-length-differences-do-they-matter

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not gonna hang this up by continuing to hawk for Mono... but def get the beefiest RCA you can without going craze. I think any RCA terminated Coax that is rated RG6 should do the job. If you choose Mono, that link has everything you need! :)

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
For long interconnects, XLR balanced are always better than RCA unbalanced. But it's about the interconnect system not just the cable. You need a:
balanced output stage >> balanced cable >> balanced input stage
If you don't have all three, then stick with RCA cables.
Chose coax cable RCA interconnects. Ones with a very heavy braided shield, like the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
[QUOTE="NorCalRP, post: 1338608, member: 85511"I'm not sure which is better: run a long RCA from my miniDSP to the amp, which could be located close to the rear subs, thereby using short speakon cables, or vice versa.[/QUOTE] Speaker cable is cheaper and run at power levels less prone to interference. Definitely better to run a long speaker cable than a long interconnect cable.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
[QUOTE="NorCalRP, post: 1338608, member: 85511"I'm not sure which is better: run a long RCA from my miniDSP to the amp, which could be located close to the rear subs, thereby using short speakon cables, or vice versa.
Speaker cable is cheaper and run at power levels less prone to interference. Definitely better to run a long speaker cable than a long interconnect cable.[/QUOTE]

To a point- if the speaker cable is long enough to cause voltage drop, it's better to use balanced line level and convert at the end.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Speaker cable is cheaper and run at power levels less prone to interference. Definitely better to run a long speaker cable than a long interconnect cable.
To a point- if the speaker cable is long enough to cause voltage drop, it's better to use balanced line level and convert at the end.[/QUOTE]

exactly, so where possible, minimize both

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
To a point- if the speaker cable is long enough to cause voltage drop, it's better to use balanced line level and convert at the end.
exactly, so where possible, minimize both[/QUOTE]
So, as I mentioned previously, I don't have XLR capabilities anywhere in my system. My 4400h is the limiting factor. Can you give me some input that's directly applicable to my situation? At this point I'm thinking about ditching the speakons and doubling up 12 guage to get the equivalent of 9guage. Thanks for any input guys:)

highfigh

highfigh

exactly, so where possible, minimize both[/QUOTE]

Right, but long, high power speaker runs don't work well and sound companies don't do that (not that we're dealing with PA systems or runs of that length)- they either move the amps closer to the speakers or, for constant voltage systems, they're using 70V/100V amps and speakers. Even at festivals, the amps can be directly under the speakers and the speaker cables can be over 100' long but lowZ balanced lines can go hundreds of feet without problems, unlike highZ unbalanced line level.

highfigh

highfigh

exactly, so where possible, minimize both
So, as I mentioned previously, I don't have XLR capabilities anywhere in my system. My 4400h is the limiting factor. Can you give me some input that's directly applicable to my situation? At this point I'm thinking about ditching the speakons and doubling up 12 guage to get the equivalent of 9guage. Thanks for any input guys:)[/QUOTE]

What is the actual distance from the sub amp to the speakers? If it's less than 40', 16ga or 14ga is fine. If the audio cable would be 20'-40', you can use good shielded cable and that will be fine, too. DO NOT fall into the trap of thinking that large diameter cable is better than small diameter- Belden/West Penna and some other manufacturers make cable that's really skinny and it works great- Belden cabling is used by several industries because it just works-

https://catalog.belden.com/index.cfm?event=browse&c=Category_172692&n=10&sr=1&sby=relevancy

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
He said it was about 50' I believe.

The title of this thread is wonky because I think it should read: Long RCA cable or long speaker cable?

At the end of the day, RCA cables (because he doesn't have balanced as an option) are still not the best way to get audio from point a to point b. Especially over a longer distance. Even though with subwoofers it is rarely an issue. When buzz and hum does come into the system, it's from the RCA cables and line level audio, not the speaker level cabling.

Run 12/2 or 12/4 to your subwoofer locations and then put the amp in with the rest of your gear. This is a great way to give yourself the most control of the system, and should an amp or a speaker fail, you can replace it more easily when they aren't all integrated. It takes heat and bulk out of the room as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis