Long range 4K HDMI Cable with eARC

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well my actual measurement is 92 ft, I am keeping some buffer for any eventualities, hence a cable of 100 ft or 110 should be more than sufficient, when I go to Amazon and select 130 ft Ruipro it does show 4K at 120 hz with eARC
That Ruipro cable is not adequate. You need HDMI 2.1 or 2.2 spec.

Now you have gone down to 100' this one will work.

I have been using that Legrand inserter and it works fine for 4K and eARC. I transmit Atmos video over it all the time. I have never had an issue.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That Ruipro cable is not adequate. You need HDMI 2.1 or 2.2 spec.

Now you have gone down to 100' this one will work.

I have been using that Legrand inserter and it works fine for 4K and eARC. I transmit Atmos video over it all the time. I have never had an issue.
You aren’t trying to send 4K HDR/LLDV signals @120Hz. If you did try, it wouldn’t work. The 18Gbps spec cannot support more than 4K @60Hz and color sub sampling of 10 or 12 bit color is needed then as well. Those wanting to send 4K @120Hz HDR RGB/4:4:4 10 bit or LLDV 4:2:2 8 bit video signals as well as uncompressed multichannel audio signals will need much more bandwidth and the HDMI 2.1 ports in use must be set to 8K Enhanced.

Now, if every device in the chain supports DSC, then the signal can be compressed enough to use 4K @120Hz if the HDMI 2.1 ports support 24Gbps minimum. Information regarding every device in the chain here would be helpful @randomuser.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You aren’t trying to send 4K HDR/LLDV signals @120Hz. If you did try, it wouldn’t work. The 18Gbps spec cannot support more than 4K @60Hz and color sub sampling of 10 or 12 bit color is needed then as well. Those wanting to send 4K @120Hz HDR RGB/4:4:4 10 bit or LLDV 4:2:2 8 bit video signals as well as uncompressed multichannel audio signals will need much more bandwidth and the HDMI 2.1 ports in use must be set to 8K Enhanced.

Now, if every device in the chain supports DSC, then the signal can be compressed enough to use 4K @120Hz if the HDMI 2.1 ports support 24Gbps minimum. Information regarding every device in the chain here would be helpful @randomuser.
I think it is highly unlikely this cable will not work for him.

This voltage inserter that I use I would bet will also work fine for him as it does for me.

In four and a half years I have never had one issue with the connection between my Marantz 7705 and my LG 77" OLED TV. It just works, as the way it should.

R

randomuser

Audioholic Intern

Right now the only 2 devices that support 120hz are my Sony PS5 and LG OLED C1 77”, but I would like to be future ready for any other devices I might upgrade and they become available in 120hz

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I think it is highly unlikely this cable will not work for him.

This voltage inserter that I use I would bet will also work fine for him as it does for me.

In four and a half years I have never had one issue with the connection between my Marantz 7705 and my LG 77" OLED TV. It just works, as the way it should.
The voltage inserter will work up to 4K @60 Hz. That is its limit. That is also the limit of your Marantz and perhaps the LG TV. The model number of your TV escapes me. If you tried to get 4K @120Hz through the Marantz to the TV, it would not work. It would require HDMI 2.1 ports and an inserter supporting at least 24Gbps and still have certain limitations.

You could also list the devices in your setup @TLS Guy and the way they are connected to eachother and I could tell you right off about the audio and video limitations of each of them depending on their connection to the TV and AVP.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Right now the only 2 devices that support 120hz are my Sony PS5 and LG OLED C1 77”, but I would like to be future ready for any other devices I might upgrade and they become available in 120hz
The PS5 has 32Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports. The LG C1 77”, which is what I have myself, has 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports. They do NOT support DSC. The PS5 is the weak link here. It will have to do some color subsampling when outputting 4K @120Hz.

There is currently no game console or AVP/AVR supporting 48Gbps from their HDMI 2.1 ports. There are a few TVs that do support 48Gbps from their HDMI 2.1 ports.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Your goals are unrealistic. Build for what you have now. If your requirements change down the road, you can change cables in conduit in minutes.

I think this is all getting ridiculous. We don't need to enhance video or audio specs. We are already beyond the resolution of the human retina, and human hearing. The CD spec of 1984 reached that with a bandwidth to the limit of human hearing and adequate dynamic range.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
They are trying to deal with what they have now. They have a game console, TV and perhaps an AVP/AVR that support 4K resolution AND 120Hz refresh rate. Many games support 4K @120Hz. Cables supporting such are also essential in the system. Those who do not game at 4K @120Hz need not concern themselves with such things.

If the AVR here does not support HDMI 2.1 with 40Gbps ports or eARC, there are going to be issues even when connecting the PS5 directly to the TV. AVR info would be helpful here. I’d really try to get all of these devices into the same room.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

They are trying to deal with what they have now. They have a game console, TV and perhaps an AVP/AVR that support 4K resolution AND 120Hz refresh rate. Many games support 4K @120Hz. Cables supporting such are also essential in the system. Those who do not game at 4K @120Hz need not concern themselves with such things.

If the AVR here does not support HDMI 2.1 with 40Gbps ports or eARC, there are going to be issues even when connecting the PS5 directly to the TV. AVR info would be helpful here. I’d really try to get all of these devices into the same room.
If that is what he is doing, then he needs to get it in one room and forget these long cable runs. I get a super picture and sound from my rig, and I can't imagine I could have a better picture than my LG OLED gives driven from my Marantz 7705. That Marantz is 60 Hz and 4K on all HDMI ports.
What happens if you game with that?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It will look good for sure but motion smoothness in games that support 4K @120Hz will take a hit. It is not about the resolution, but the refresh rate here. LG OLED TVs look great when displaying 4K @24Hz and 4K @60Hz HDR/DV movies. Put one in PC or Game console mode and display 4K HDR/LLDV @120Hz from a game console or PC and be really amazed.o_O

R

randomuser

Audioholic Intern
Let me give you some background and why am I setting up my media center in 2nd floor and not setting up equipments in the living room where the TV is. I am building a dedicated home theater in 2nd floor, and all its hardware are set up in a rack that is away and hidden from the home theater. I am trying to utilize the same hardware such as the AVR, Apple TV, gaming consoles and such…

I am setting up a zone 2 which is my living room that will share the same AVR and all other devices, trying to save some money by not investing in separate AVR and other devices.

One other reason to set up everything in the media center is to reduce the clutter in the living room and not have all the equipments under the TV.

The AVR used is Denon A1H

Appreciate the inputs you all have provided , I was ignorant about the amount of data that gets sent, and never paid attention to this but just a cable that is rated for 120 hz 4K

thank you

R

randomuser

Audioholic Intern
It will look good for sure but motion smoothness in games that support 4K @120Hz will take a hit. It is not about the resolution, but the refresh rate here. LG OLED TVs look great when displaying 4K @24Hz and 4K @60Hz HDR/DV movies. Put one in PC or Game console mode and display 4K HDR/LLDV @120Hz from a game console or PC and be really amazed.o_O
Correct, it’s the refresh rate that is enhanced with 120hz, especially for those games that have heavy graphics involved . Games are played by son mostly, I am not into games

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The A1H is a beast and the LG C1 is an awesome TV. But, both have their respective limits. There will be a few kinks outputting video and sound to both Zones. What kind of display will be used on the second floor?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Let me give you some background and why am I setting up my media center in 2nd floor and not setting up equipments in the living room where the TV is. I am building a dedicated home theater in 2nd floor, and all its hardware are set up in a rack that is away and hidden from the home theater. I am trying to utilize the same hardware such as the AVR, Apple TV, gaming consoles and such…

I am setting up a zone 2 which is my living room that will share the same AVR and all other devices, trying to save some money by not investing in separate AVR and other devices.

One other reason to set up everything in the media center is to reduce the clutter in the living room and not have all the equipments under the TV.

The AVR used is Denon A1H

Appreciate the inputs you all have provided , I was ignorant about the amount of data that gets sent, and never paid attention to this but just a cable that is rated for 120 hz 4K

thank you
It really is a bad idea to separate equipment like that. I have three systems and all have their own IVP. If you are going state of the art I recommend you use AVPs and separate amps.

If you are going to use the 120K refresh rate, then your plan will not work. That unit needs to be where you will use it in the AV room.

Personally I would run is fast as I could from a unit with 15 power amps in one case from one power supply. That is my very definition of insane engineering. In other words bad design pure and simple.

R

randomuser

Audioholic Intern
The A1H is a beast and the LG C1 is an awesome TV. But, both have their respective limits. There will be a few kinks outputting video and sound to both Zones. What kind of display will be used on the second floor?
It is going to be Epson LS12000 and a fixed screen of 150”

R

randomuser

Audioholic Intern
It really is a bad idea to separate equipment like that. I have three systems and all have their own IVP. If you are going state of the art I recommend you use AVPs and separate amps.

If you are going to use the 120K refresh rate, then your plan will not work. That unit needs to be where you will use it in the AV room.

Personally I would run is fast as I could from a unit with 15 power amps in one case from one power supply. That is my very definition of insane engineering. In other words bad design pure and simple.
I don’t agree with your judgement, everyone had their own ideas and way of doing things, and I am sure there is technology to support every use case. If it was a simple and easy set up, I wouldn’t raise a request for support here and believe me, I have learnt a lot in the last 2 days and I am absolutely certain that I will find a way to solve my problem but I do appreciate your feedback and insights… thank you

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don’t agree with your judgement, everyone had their own ideas and way of doing things, and I am sure there is technology to support every use case. If it was a simple and easy set up, I wouldn’t raise a request for support here and believe me, I have learnt a lot in the last 2 days and I am absolutely certain that I will find a way to solve my problem but I do appreciate your feedback and insights… thank you
I have found a voltage inserter that will power your cable.

highfigh

highfigh

The only way you will do that, is with a hybrid cable. With the new specs any run over 10' should now be a hybrid cable.

Ruipro have been at it the longest and have a good track record. That is what I use for my 30' run.

Make sure you also buy and use a voltage inserter, otherwise you stand a good chance of blowing up your HDMI board. It does not matter which end the voltage inserter goes. Since these cables have an optical encoder at one end and a decoder at the other, these cables are directional. So make sure the arrows point away from the source unit and to the receiving unit.

Make sure you put the cables in conduit. You can't go reefing on these cables. Also, should the cable fail, and anything can, you can quickly and easily run another cable.
What do you mean by "Ruipro have been at it the longest and have a good track record"? The company is nine years old according to their website and until you mentioned them a couple of years ago, I had never heard of them in my 20+ years of working with HDMI and having used many distributors & cables by a lot of manufacturers. I have never heard a single person in the industry mention this brand and I speak with people around the country, as well as tech support for a lot of brands. Also, the fact that they show a total of 37 employees tells me they have their cables made for them, so they aren't a manufacturer since that would be a very expensive venture.

"reefing on these cables"? Who are you and what have you done with Mark? I have never heard anyone over the age of 30 use that word. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Actually, "reefing" and "reefers" goes back to at least the 1930's. It was not entirely out of fashion when @TLS Guy was still in knickerbockers.;)

highfigh

highfigh

Actually, "reefing" and "reefers" goes back to at least the 1930's. It was not entirely out of fashion when @TLS Guy was still in knickerbockers.;)
I know that but using 'reef' to mean 'pull hard or force something' isn't that old- I'm 67 and never heard the word used for the latter until about 10 years ago.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis