Long range 4K HDMI Cable with eARC

R

randomuser

Audioholic Intern
Hello!!

I am looking for an ideal solution to resolve my problem running a long range HDMI with eARC capabilities.

my media control is situated on the second floor and I would like to run a HDMI from here to the first floor living room where my TV is. I am looking for a solution that can do 4K at 120hz and eARC capabilities for return audio from the TV to the AVR. I considers wyrestorm and blustorm products, but are very expensive and they don’t do 120hz.

my other option is a optic fiber HDMI cable, and I see some options online that are inexpensive but the brands are not heard off, so not sure of the quality and don’t have confidence in getting them.

have you been in a similar situation, how did you resolve this problem? Any advice on good cables I can consider?

appreciate your feedback

cheees!! Srisha

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello!!

I am looking for an ideal solution to resolve my problem running a long range HDMI with eARC capabilities.

my media control is situated on the second floor and I would like to run a HDMI from here to the first floor living room where my TV is. I am looking for a solution that can do 4K at 120hz and eARC capabilities for return audio from the TV to the AVR. I considers wyrestorm and blustorm products, but are very expensive and they don’t do 120hz.

my other option is a optic fiber HDMI cable, and I see some options online that are inexpensive but the brands are not heard off, so not sure of the quality and don’t have confidence in getting them.

have you been in a similar situation, how did you resolve this problem? Any advice on good cables I can consider?

appreciate your feedback

cheees!! Srisha
The only way you will do that, is with a hybrid cable. With the new specs any run over 10' should now be a hybrid cable.

Ruipro have been at it the longest and have a good track record. That is what I use for my 30' run.

Make sure you also buy and use a voltage inserter, otherwise you stand a good chance of blowing up your HDMI board. It does not matter which end the voltage inserter goes. Since these cables have an optical encoder at one end and a decoder at the other, these cables are directional. So make sure the arrows point away from the source unit and to the receiving unit.

Make sure you put the cables in conduit. You can't go reefing on these cables. Also, should the cable fail, and anything can, you can quickly and easily run another cable.

R

randomuser

Audioholic Intern
The only way you will do that, is with a hybrid cable. With the new specs any run over 10' should now be a hybrid cable.

Ruipro have been at it the longest and have a good track record. That is what I use for my 30' run.

Make sure you also buy and use a voltage inserter, otherwise you stand a good chance of blowing up your HDMI board. It does not matter which end the voltage inserter goes. Since these cables have an optical encoder at one end and a decoder at the other, these cables are directional. So make sure the arrows point away from the source unit and to the receiving unit.

Make sure you put the cables in conduit. You can't go reefing on these cables. Also, should the cable fail, and anything can, you can quickly and easily run another cable.
Thanks!! Yes the conduit is already set up to run the cable. When they are directional, do they also work with eARC wherein the audio is sent from the TV to the receiver?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks!! Yes the conduit is already set up to run the cable. When they are directional, do they also work with eARC wherein the audio is sent from the TV to the receiver?
Only the video is directional. That is why they are hybrid. The video is fibre and the audio in copper. Yes, they work fine with eARC. They can cover runs up to about 200 feet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Only the video is directional. That is why they are hybrid. The video is fibre and the audio in copper. Yes, they work fine with eARC. They can cover runs up to about 200 feet.
Wow had no idea that they can handle 125 let alone 200' these days. Definitely beyond anything I'll need :)

R

randomuser

Audioholic Intern
Nice!! Seems like an ideal solution for my use case. While I am checking for their cables on their website and Amazon, I am not able to find the one that is a hybrid cable. Most cables that I see are fiber optic , do you know which one is exactly hybrid with both copper and fiber?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Nice!! Seems like an ideal solution for my use case. While I am checking for their cables on their website and Amazon, I am not able to find the one that is a hybrid cable. Most cables that I see are fiber optic , do you know which one is exactly hybrid with both copper and fiber?
They are all hybrid. Only the video is fibre, the audio has to be copper. MBAs and marketers who make the ads and promos only operate on two neurons and half a synapse. Relax, I'm not an MBA or marketer of any type, and so know what I'm doing.

R

randomuser

Audioholic Intern
They are all hybrid. Only the video is fibre, the audio has to be copper. MBAs and marketers who make the ads and promos only operate on two neurons and half a synapse. Relax, I'm not an MBA or marketer of any type, and so know what I'm doing.
Thanks!! I am going to get one soon.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Read the specs of any cable and inserter carefully. While many will support 4K @60Hz using the HDMI Premium Certified 18Gbps spec, many do not support 4K @120Hz. The cable needs to be Ultra Certified and support ethernet for eARC to work and also to support 48Gbps. 4K @120Hz HDR RGB or LLDV(Low Latency Dolby Vision output from player) require at least 40Gbps unless one has DSC support in ALL of the devices. Many inserters and couplers of different types are not up to the task. That is a hell of a long run for 4K @120Hz so do your homework.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Where do I get that from? Any recommendations? Appreciate your inputs
It is a good thing Trebdp83 made me check specs. Ruipro do not make a cable that long to 2.1 HDMI spec.

So you will have to go with a professional cable and it will cost you. I can not find one 125 ft, so you will have to go 150'. You can't extend these cables so you don't want to be short. The cable will cost you $329.00. If that is what you must do, you will have to "pay the piper".

You can order what you want here from Fibercommand Ultravision Professional Fiber Optics.

The voltage inserter I recommended will be fine. That one is a premium HDMI voltage inserter.

R

randomuser

Audioholic Intern
Read the specs of any cable and inserter carefully. While many will support 4K @60Hz using the HDMI Premium Certified 18Gbps spec, many do not support 4K @120Hz. The cable needs to be Ultra Certified and support ethernet for eARC to work and also to support 48Gbps. 4K @120Hz HDR RGB or LLDV(Low Latency Dolby Vision output from player) require at least 40Gbps unless one has DSC support in ALL of the devices. Many inserters and couplers of different types are not up to the task. That is a hell of a long run for 4K @120Hz so do your homework.
But if I look at the ruipro, they claim to do 120hz for 4K even for a cable that is 130 ft and hdcp 2.2, am I missing something here? Please see the image from Amazon

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

But if I look at the ruipro, they claim to do 120hz for 4K even for a cable that is 130 ft and hdcp 2.2, am I missing something here? Please see the image from Amazon
That cable is 66'. I got caught by that. When you out 120' in that cable comes up. I did go on the Ruipro site and as far as I can tell, they do not make a 2.1 HDMI spec cable of the length the OP wants. In any event he wants 125' and not 120' . He needs to go long or he will be sorry if he is short.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It is best to look for an "Ultra Certified" HDMI cable. That means it has been tested and supports 48Gbps and all of the features of the HDMI 2.1 spec. Any "Premium Certified" cable or "Premium"device will NOT support 48Gbps and is limited to 18Gbps and caps out at 4K @60Hz. The Legrand C2G is a "Premium" device and supports 18Gbps, not 48Gbps. It will be the bottleneck here. Those NOT using devices that support 4K @120Hz output need not worry about it but those needing the bandwidth will need capable cables and inserters.
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 12.46.01 PM.png

R

randomuser

Audioholic Intern
That cable is 66'. I got caught by that. When you out 120' in that cable comes up. I did go on the Ruipro site and as far as I can tell, they do not make a 2.1 HDMI spec cable of the length the OP wants. In any event he wants 125' and not 120' . He needs to go long or he will be sorry if he is short.
Well my actual measurement is 92 ft, I am keeping some buffer for any eventualities, hence a cable of 100 ft or 110 should be more than sufficient, when I go to Amazon and select 130 ft Ruipro it does show 4K at 120 hz with eARC

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis