Long HDTV cable runs

B

bbecktech

Audiophyte
I need to connect 13 42" Plasma HDTVs to 13 HD satellite receivers that are a little over 100' away. I'll need to run the cable though conduit and the TV's will not require audio. This is for a restaurant. I am leaning towards pulling all RG-6 coax (3 to each TV (Red, Green, Blue)) as component video and just using convertor tips for the actual connection (F-connector to RCA connector). Does anybody have a better idea that is as cost effective and reliable?

U

Unregistered

Run three RG6 to each (remember that's just video and no audio). But terminate with correct RCAs made for RG6. You really need a good quality RG6 cable for these lengths and appropriate RCAs. I would run Canare V3-5CFB (this is 3 RG6 in one jacket) OR L3-5CFB (this is single cable). Terminate with Canare RCAP-C5F. Belden makes good cables too, but I don't know the model numbers of the preferred Belden cable for comp video, canare are the connectors of choice regardless of which cable you choose.

See link for instructions, tools, and options. It will take a few minutes longer per cable to do the RCA terminations, but it will be worth it in the long run over using F-connectors and screw on RCAs.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
bbecktech said:
I need to connect 13 42" Plasma HDTVs to 13 HD satellite receivers that are a little over 100' away. I'll need to run the cable though conduit and the TV's will not require audio. This is for a restaurant. I am leaning towards pulling all RG-6 coax (3 to each TV (Red, Green, Blue)) as component video and just using convertor tips for the actual connection (F-connector to RCA connector). Does anybody have a better idea that is as cost effective and reliable?

Or, you can consult http://www.belden.com/

for info on cable specs. At these distances, cable loss is critical and 1dB loss is visible to a trained eye. But, maybe at a restaurant, that is not a real issue.

They may even help with suppliers?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Definitely you will want to run 3 RG-6 cables to each TV. You will also want to consider any chances of needing composite or s-video at this time. As well, consider if audio is necessary.

As a genral rule we always pull 5 RG-6 and 2 RG-6 runs for RGBHV and S-Video to any display, plus 1 control wire and if speakers are needed, shielded wire.

The ends can be terminated with RF connectors and then use adapters to take them to RCA or BNC as needed. On sub 50 foot runs or so, we always use Extron MiniHR cable which is available in multi-conductors within a single jacket. Works awesome and is small and easy to install... But, isn't appropriate for longer cable runs.

G

glz

Audiophyte
RG6 is really as good as the spendy stuff? Wow, I've spent a lot on hype...

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Why not

Why not run one RG6 from your multiswitch to each Sat box and mount the SAT boxes with the TV's and run nice short RGB's to the TV?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis