LOL coming soon...totally unfair 3 speaker shootoff!

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Heh, Yeah this is in steam since it's not exactly on topic yet...

I just got done all of two minutes ago ordering a pair of Onix Reference 0.5 speakers from AV123.

I will say one thing....only option for saturday delivery is UPS red....$108 :( ....so I went for the $31 standard shipping :p

As for the other two speakers and why it's so unfair...

Cerwin-Vega V-5M --yeah right, this thing was a bargain at it's price, but it's not like this thing is going to compare to any $300 serious speaker...it has a nice "live" feel, but is also fatiguing as hell due to it's shrill treble (my guess is those blasted poly dome tweeters)

Dayton BR-1 Kit speaker --It's good for $150, but it's basically what the V-5M should have been...smoother mids and highs, as well as deeper bass...but it lacks hard in how it presents the sound....I just cannot get that "live" feel I could get with the V-5M.

So long as UPS doesn't try to pull something funny about dropping them off at the apt offices, I shall have them here by next Friday...by that time, I will be ready for these creatures :)

....and I get to see how bad they whoop on a $50 and a $150 pair of speakers :p

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
OK, I just got them an hour ago...initial impressions:

Onix Ref 0.5. ($300)

Packaging: Single boxed, and lacks the White gloves that many Onix owners have went on and on about. However, there was plenty of thick custom-cut closed-cell foamed plastic padding, and the speakers were in these white cloth pouches, which happened to fit these speakers like a glove...literally. Needless to say I'm pretty impressed so far.

Cosmetic: Honestly, I have never owned a single piece of furniture as well crafted as this, let alone a loudspeaker...the south american rosewood finish is as far as I can tell flawless. I'm not very knowledgable in how the finishes are classified, but to me it's a semi-gloss finish. You can just see my window blinds in the sides of them. The veneer is consistant, with no visible edges where the separate panels meet. The grills are very well assembled, and I could not find a single flaw. The drivers are aluminum...the woofer being a 5-1/4" variety, and a hybrid ailk/aluminum tweeter (aluminum dome, silk suspension). The drivers from both sides look exactly identical, no metal discolorations within the drivers.

I did find two minor gripes. One was there was some pitting on one of the hex bolts holding in my woofer...nothing big, but it did seem out of place on such a finely finished product. The other gripe was that the "made in china" labels on these speakers are big enough to overlap the product label. I don't mind the separate label, as I do work in an electronics manufacturing environment and know that this label is required for customs in many nations...but I do wish they could size it down a bit, so not to overlap. Just another incredibly minor detail that I thought was not befitting of something of this level of craftsmanship. Overall I gives these a 9/10 for craftsmanship. It's hard to imagine any way to make a speaker look nicer.

Review on sound coming soon....give me a weekend for my ears to get all kinky with these lovely speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis