Locking HDMI Cables and Connectors

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Anyone who has read any of my articles long enough here at Audioholics knows the love-hate relationship I have with HDMI. Mostly hate, since I believe HDMI should have been more focused on protocol, and less on form-factor. Regardless, one of the most frustrating aspects of HDMI is the tendency for lower gauge (thicker) cables to weight down the connector and pull out of their sockets. With the complexity of the signal coursing through an HDMI cable, even a little tension can result in signal loss, especially over longer distances. So what's a custom installer to do? Well, for starters there are several solutions that provide a locking HDMI connection for HDMI - something the format surely lacks.

Discuss "Locking HDMI Cables and Connectors" here. Read the article.

A

Austin M

Enthusiast
Another locking solution (not universal)

One of the first locking solutions I came across was from BestDealCables.com. They sold HDMI cables with a lock that would secure to a screw-in ball-joint. You would simply remove the screw above the HDMI connection on your piece of equipment (most receivers, set-top boxes, and some transports came this way) and replace the screw with the threaded ball joint. The clip on the cable would lock in place and you were done. The back of the TV was a different matter. They recommended drilling a small hole and securing the ball-joint with some hot-glue. Not very technical, but it worked.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't knowwhat method they are using, but the HDMI wall plates from parts express lock the cable in pretty darn well and there is nothing external that holds on. Something inside the socket feels like it is actually clicking in. Seems like this socket could very easily be put on every component.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Locking cables should have been the standard since the beginning.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
In the two years I have used them, I have never had a problem with non-locking HDMI cables.

I'm a big fan of locking connectors though as I hate leaving connections to chance. We have some acer monitors at work that where I wish I could lock the power cable in place. Damn thing works loose all the time.

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
locking HDMI

Found this one, just wish you could find them and were more prevelent http://www.awgcables.com/products_detail.php?pId=360&id=0002.0001.0000.0000&depth=1[/URL]

M

mrstaff

Audiophyte
i agree with philip that it should be the standard from the beggining :) i found good and not expensive cables from Connection Lab. Are they good enough?

M

mrstaff

Audiophyte
connectionlab

I took my chances and I bought a hdmi cable form connectionlab. I must say it is really good! You get a good price and wonderful quality. Unfortunately this brand is not widely known, but I hope this will change very soon. Check their products HERE

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis