Local help setting up Stereo speakers

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Anyone know who I could go to near Auburn Alabama for help setting up and optimizing my listening room.
despite my best efforts I cannot seem to find the proper placement for my speakers for room mode and best sound.
This is for music with 2 channel speakers and 2 subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rather than hire someone, please describe your current setup....all gear with make/model and placement of speakers/subs....

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Cheap receiver. Monitor Audio Silver 300s and 2 Rythmik f12 subs. In an open floorplan with a total room size about 25x25x9. The seating is off center of the room. About 11ft from front wall.
I just got the subs. I’m running speaker level inputs currently. I have little experience with crossover and sub levels. Iv been adjusting the subs for days.
I feel like they are not blending well. I hear the different in different frequency bass notes but not really hearing the instruments. I hear lows but not specifically do I hear the bass drum that’s making the sounds. It just kinda blurred.
0 degree phase sounds quiet 180 sounds boomy and a little too separated.
i don’t know how to find the correct phase.
i don’t really know what sounds like music and what sounds like just bass sounds.
Speaks are already 4+ ft into the middle of the room.
i have the Imaging pretty good at this Point. Then I added the subs and got all mixed up again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why are you using speaker level inputs for the sub rather than bass mangement thru the avr?

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
The receiver does not have very advanced correction. Didn’t help the speakers when they were by themselves. Direct mode sounded a lot better then any setting In the AVR. In direct mode it turns off the subs. And I don’t need it for video information.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I thought the subs own EQ and Cross would do better.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I feel like I need to find the right place in the room for the subs before trying to correct the issues with software. If I did get it closer to right without it then corrected what was left I figure that would be better with less software corrections.
but that’s where I think I’m at is finding the right placement for the room modes at the moment ?

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Or I have read too much and have no idea what I’m talking about... could be that too. I have spent so many hours trying to get it right that i think my ears are confused.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Yes but I’m not exactly sure what I’m listening for. I tried to find a spot that’s not boomy... Or hums?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The receiver does not have very advanced correction. Didn’t help the speakers when they were by themselves. Direct mode sounded a lot better then any setting In the AVR. In direct mode it turns off the subs. And I don’t need it for video information.
I always use bass management when it's available. It's the best way to blend your subs and speakers, imo. Your avr can set the crossover point between your speakers and subs pretty seamlessly and allows for easy adjustment and experimenting. For instance, one pair of speakers I had just didn't sound right unless I used a higher crossover. My current speakers sound good with a lower one. It takes some experimentation.
Yes but I’m not exactly sure what I’m listening for. I tried to find a spot that’s not boomy... Or hums?
Use bass heavy music you're familiar with and listen for the best balance of bass you can detect. I'd recommend losing the high level connections first and use LFE channel first tho. You should try the sub crawl without using any dsp or room correction tho. Find the right spot first, then run room correction and go from there.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You've got and know how to use REW, so I suggest using that and finding the placement option with the flattest response.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You've got and know how to use REW, so I suggest using that and finding the placement option with the flattest response.
I've done this too. Run a sweep at one location, move the sub, do another sweep, repeat until you find the spot with the flattest response and run room correction.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bass management is one thing, a room correction routine another; I've not used AccuEQ but reports tend to be negative. Some avrs can handle subs with direct mode, tho.

I thought the subs own EQ and Cross would do better.
That sub amp has a high pass for the speakers? Just glancing at the product page for the subs, it says it doesn't have that....so you just have a low pass filter it seems, not a crossover unless you specifically ordered an amp with that option....which way did you go?

I feel like I need to find the right place in the room for the subs before trying to correct the issues with software. If I did get it closer to right without it then corrected what was left I figure that would be better with less software corrections.
but that’s where I think I’m at is finding the right placement for the room modes at the moment ?
Yes, get the best locations for the subs set first. That square room could make it somewhat difficult, tho.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I’m gonna keep working at it. I been using Rishloo today for testing. I ordered some cable for LFE I’ll try it tomorrow.
there are some constant low notes with reverb that can be very a annoying to hear when they hum too loudly. Like the first 30 seconds of Systemautmatic It’s part of the music but can make a hard tone that could make you wince when that sound vibrates too hard. Not sure if it’s a setting for the room.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I wouldn't set a system up to specific music....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure if it’s a setting for the room.
Or the source. That's a consideration too. Make sure you use a known quality source for your testing. The subs crawl is crude but effective. Multiple sweeps and moving the sub around the room is more work, but would be more accurate. Like HD said too, square rooms are more challenging. You having measuring capability is a big plus here. Do you know what to look for in a good bass response?

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
i use different music. That’s just what I’m working with today.
I know little about looking at response other than comparing it to a perfect arcing signature of pictures of speaker response curves. Iv just tried to make it flat by randomly changing speaker position and sub setting. Crossover, peq, level, phase etc. and seeing what happens.

the room and seating position I’m in is not great for audio. It open floor kitchen, side room, foyer, and living room. Definitely not ideal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis