Living with modern windshield glass

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Car Talk was a great show, lots of laughs. The older brother Tom (the prof),passed away in 2014.
Just remembered another disadvantage to the thinner glass. The rain noise is now much louder, it sounds more like hail hitting the glass.
I do remember Tom going on a rant about auto windshield glass.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I used to love listening Click and Clack. Entertaining and informative.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I remember listening to Click and Clack with my Dad when I was a kid. It was entertaining even though I’m not into cars. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve had better luck in recent years with after market windshields. I then take advantage of free chip repairs. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
OK, HF was rarely used in the biochem labs where I worked. I only remember it getting used once. And the boss made everyone else not using it take a long coffee break, clearing the room while it was being used.

HF is a very strong acid that can eat through the glass jugs that strong concentrated acids come in. They have to use plastic coated glass jugs where the plastic is thick enough to never ever crack. I wonder what safety precautions the semiconductor industry has to use for HF.
Meh, it's like any other hazardous material--treat it with respect, or it will demand your respect! A palm-sized exposure to 49% HF liquid can cause a pretty quick death, it basically extracts the calcium out of your body, and that disrupts the heart's electrical rhythm.

As the boss says, "the only old chemist is a safe chemist". In the labs, we work with it on a daily basis, and more intimately than how it is handled in the factory.

For the record--HF is actually a weak acid. By definition, a weak acid is only partially dissociated.

Fluoride / Fluorine is a very unique and interesting element, different than any other element on the periodic table.

Personally, even a plastic-lined glass jug of the stuff would scare the crap out of me! High quality Teflon / PFA is the much preferred material for HF.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A palm-sized exposure to 49% HF liquid can cause a pretty quick death, it basically extracts the calcium out of your body, and that disrupts the heart's electrical rhythm.
Assassination/hit job?
I wonder how good the medical examiner has to be to recognize this is not just another heart attack!?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Assassination/hit job?
I wonder how good the medical examiner has to be to recognize this is not just another heart attack!?
Oh....the chemical burn is nasty and very characteristic of HF. And, it does not immediately hurt like other acid or chemical burns either.

I will spare details and pics, but if you want more info or want to see an HF burn, see the wiki

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis