Listeners wanted for ABX test - please!

R

Richard Black

Audioholic Intern
I have been doing some simulations of amplifier performance, just out of interest. In the process I have come up with a simulation of a particular characteristic which can be best described as subtle in the extreme. I am curious as to whether this is audible (yes, I've tested it on myself but it's certainly subtle enough for me not to trust my own sighted judgement). Therefore I have decided to arrange a global ABX test and I would be most grateful for any help!

If you are interested in participating, please do the following:

Visit this specific page (it's not linked from anywhere else on the site) of my web site:

www.musaeus.co.uk/abx.htm

Download the three audio files (approx. 7MB each, 97s of music), decompress them with Monkey's Audio (relevant link on the page), listen to them on your highest resolution system and write to me (richard@musaeus.co.uk) with your findings - do you think that X is A or B?

[For those unfamiliar with ABX testing, the idea is that A and B are two slightly different sound files. X is either A or B and you have to decide which. If you can't decide, just guess. Averaged over a large number of listeners, this gives a reliable indicator (with suitable statistical analysis) of whether A and B are in fact audibly different. Doing the test in this way avoids the usual problem that most or all of the listeners are unfamiliar with the listening system and environment.]

I'll report results here in due course.

Many thanks,

Richard

R

Richard Black

Audioholic Intern
PS - should have said: please DON'T post results here! People reading them will all too easily be biased by them, despite best intentions.

Richard

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Richard Black said:
I have been doing some simulations of amplifier performance, just out of interest. In the process I have come up with a simulation of a particular characteristic which can be best described as subtle in the extreme. I am curious as to whether this is audible (yes, I've tested it on myself but it's certainly subtle enough for me not to trust my own sighted judgement). Therefore I have decided to arrange a global ABX test and I would be most grateful for any help!

If you are interested in participating, please do the following:

Visit this specific page (it's not linked from anywhere else on the site) of my web site:

www.musaeus.co.uk/abx.htm

Download the three audio files (approx. 7MB each, 97s of music), decompress them with Monkey's Audio (relevant link on the page), listen to them on your highest resolution system and write to me (richard@musaeus.co.uk) with your findings - do you think that X is A or B?

[For those unfamiliar with ABX testing, the idea is that A and B are two slightly different sound files. X is either A or B and you have to decide which. If you can't decide, just guess. Averaged over a large number of listeners, this gives a reliable indicator (with suitable statistical analysis) of whether A and B are in fact audibly different. Doing the test in this way avoids the usual problem that most or all of the listeners are unfamiliar with the listening system and environment.]

I'll report results here in due course.

Many thanks,

Richard

You shoul dcontact, or try to, Stewart Pinkerto who lives where you do.
He is active on RECAudio Hi end
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.audio.high-end/browse_thread/thread/b9de27e7a0795d3c/a1f70a54313c9762#a1f70a54313c9762

You might post there for him to make contact?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis