• Thread starter Poopsy MacSquats II
  • Start date
P

Poopsy MacSquats II

Enthusiast
Fellow Audioholics,

I am currently flummoxed by an AV sync issue between my (new) SR7015 receiver and my LG C1 OLED. Any ideas, suggestions or solutions are welcome. It all started a couple weeks ago when I upgraded my 7.1 HT system to 7.1.2. The original 7.1 system passed a 4K ATV, a STRDN-840 blu-ray, and a PS5 through a Marantz SR5010 into an LG C1 OLED. The experience of receiving such an immersive payload was satisfying. In case you're curious I employed short, but thick, audioquest cinnamon HDMI cables to allow for each player to comingle with the SR5010.

I soon decided I was going to give ATMOS a try. So, I picked up some SVS prime elevations to use overhead and upgraded my SR5010 to a SR7015 which gave me more channels to enjoy. Setup was a breeze. I simply transferred the connections from the SR5010 to the SR7015 and added the 2 height channels. This was two weeks ago. Since, I have been constantly fiddling with LG settings and the Marantz knobs. No matter what I try, I can not get the audio to sync with the video... on BR discs, on ATV apps (Netflix, IMovies, Prime), or on apps played from the PS5. The audio appears to be many milliseconds behind the video across components. Attempting to correct this with the Marantz audio delay tool I realized each app has a different delay. The same was true for the LG C1 delay tool. I tried both the standard and eARC HDMI outputs on the SR7015. None of this had much impact on the sync issue.

I wondered if it could be the Marantz... So, I had an old, but reliable, 32" ViewSonic ultraHD monitor which I connected to the non-eARC output of the Marantz. This resulted in all apps/components playing in sync... everything looked good.

So, it appears the SR7015 and the lg C1, don't like one another, and it's really got me down. Do I return the SR7015 and get something else? How do I know this won't happen with other receivers... is there any gossip on who likes the LG C1?

There was one PITA solution. The only way I can regain the joy outlined above, while experience head immersion, is by sending the ATV into the LG and sending the LG audio through the SR7015 via eARC. However, doing this just makes me more upset, as I paid good cash for a receiver that is designed to handle this passthrough.

has any one encountered something like this? What was your solution?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is there an auto lip sync feature on/off choice? In my Denon its in the hdmi setup menu....

P

Poopsy MacSquats II

Enthusiast
Is there an auto lip sync feature on/off choice? In my Denon its in the hdmi setup menu....
I have this setting. I've run content with it off and on, but content remains out of sync.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Turn off as many picture enhancements as possible. Try cinema mode or filmmaker mode if applicable. Every added feature to the picture settings adds lag and can introduce lip sync issues. Turn off TruMotion and MotionPro. PC mode or Game mode are low latency modes that may help with the issue. There should also be a Prevent Input Delay setting in the TV. Although, you may have already tried all of these settings with no luck.

P

Poopsy MacSquats II

Enthusiast
Turn off as many picture enhancements as possible. Try cinema mode or filmmaker mode if applicable. Every added feature to the picture settings adds lag and can introduce lip sync issues. Turn off TruMotion and MotionPro. PC mode or Game mode are low latency modes that may help with the issue. There should also be a Prevent Input Delay setting in the TV. Although, you may have already tried all of these settings with no luck.
Thanks, Trebdp83. I have turned off all the enhancements, including Tru and Pro motion. I was unaware of the Prevent Input Delay setting. Using the ATV as input, I switched the TV to game mode and tried standard and boost options under Prevent Input Delay. This significantly improved the sync issue, but did not eliminate it. I'm going to play around with these options and see if I can find a combo that eliminates it 100%.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I suspect your auto Lip Sync does not work. First I would make sure you have the latest firmware. If not, load it. If you still have a problem, do a hard reset and do the set up again. If you still have the issue, then I would return it.

I have a 7705 and an LG C class TV and have never had this problem

P

Poopsy MacSquats II

Enthusiast
I suspect your auto Lip Sync does not work. First I would make sure you have the latest firmware. If not, load it. If you still have a problem, do a hard reset and do the set up again. If you still have the issue, then I would return it.

I have a 7705 and an LG C class TV and have never had this problem
I gave this a shot. I did a factory reset with a revert to the original firmware, then updated to the latest firmware. Unfortunately, this made no difference.

This result, and the fact my previous Marantz worked in this same setup makes me agree with you... perhaps it this unit in particular. I'll have to consider a return now while it's still eligible.

Thanks.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Does the cable in use support ethernet? It is a requirement for eARC. I don't believe the 5010 supported eARC and you did not have a TV and receiver that supported eARC together until the 7015 and the LG C1 TV. A cable not supporting ethernet will cause issues and in worst case scenarios no sound return when trying to use eARC. I'd give Ultra Premium Certified cables(48gbps+ethernet support) from Monoprice a try before returning the receiver. Do NOT overspend for cables from certain retailers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Does the cable in use support ethernet? It is a requirement for eARC. I don't believe the 5010 supported eARC and you did not have a TV and receiver that supported eARC together until the 7015 and the LG C1 TV. A cable not supporting ethernet will cause issues and in worst case scenarios no sound return when trying to use eARC. I'd give Ultra Premium Certified cables(48gbps+ethernet support) from Monoprice a try before returning the receiver. Do NOT overspend for cables from certain retailers.
I agree with the above. One other question: - How long is your HDMI cable. If it is longer then 12' and certainly 15' then you need a hybrid optical/copper HDMI cable and a voltage inserter to power it.

P

Poopsy MacSquats II

Enthusiast
I agree with the above. One other question: - How long is your HDMI cable. If it is longer then 12' and certainly 15' then you need a hybrid optical/copper HDMI cable and a voltage inserter to power it.
Thanks for these ideas!!

I'm using these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_703CINN2M/AudioQuest-Cinnamon-2-meters-6-6-feet.html. They are 18gbps, ethernet enabled and the longest cable running is 6ft. I've also tried switching them around and tried different inputs on the Marantz, but it didn't make a difference.

I recall reading the eARC connection(using the appropriate cables) would eliminate handshake issues. I could try picking up some 48gbps, ethernet cables to see if it will improve, however, I thought it should run fine with the cables I have when not passing 8k content?

Would replacing these with something like https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31230 make a difference for 4k content?

When watching ATV 4K content I saw no handshake issues with sr5010 paired with the LG C1 or the Viewsonic UHD monitor. The sr7015 shows no issue with the Viewsonic UHD monitor, but has trouble with the LG C1. From what I can gather the, cables, content, and components should work fine in both scenarios.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for these ideas!!

I'm using these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_703CINN2M/AudioQuest-Cinnamon-2-meters-6-6-feet.html. They are 18gbps, ethernet enabled and the longest cable running is 6ft. I've also tried switching them around and tried different inputs on the Marantz, but it didn't make a difference.

I recall reading the eARC connection(using the appropriate cables) would eliminate handshake issues. I could try picking up some 48gbps, ethernet cables to see if it will improve, however, I thought it should run fine with the cables I have when not passing 8k content?

Would replacing these with something like https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31230 make a difference for 4k content?

When watching ATV 4K content I saw no handshake issues with sr5010 paired with the LG C1 or the Viewsonic UHD monitor. The sr7015 shows no issue with the Viewsonic UHD monitor, but has trouble with the LG C1. From what I can gather the, cables, content, and components should work fine in both scenarios.
To be honest, I'm not fond of Audioquest cables. So before you return that unit, I think it would be worth trying an HDMI 2.1 cable from a reliable source. I'm not over optimistic about the success of this, but it is following the rule of "leaving no stone unturned." If that fails I would definitely drop that receiver like a "hot potato", and return it ASAP.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To be honest, I'm not fond of Audioquest cables. So before you return that unit, I think it would be worth trying an HDMI 2.1 cable from a reliable source. I'm not over optimistic about the success of this, but it is following the rule of "leaving no stone unturned." If that fails I would definitely drop that receiver like a "hot potato", and return it ASAP.
What is particularly reliable about the LamToon brand? (altho wouldn't dispute just as good as fraudioquest) Cables aren't referred to by the hdmi hardware designations (like 2.1). Look for hdmi certified speed....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Leave no stone unturned for sure. The specs are suspect on the Audioquest cable. No certification or eARC spec, though their wording is clever. Try these.
F41F8F80-49C9-420A-A66D-4C7711AE658D.jpeg

Last edited:
P

Poopsy MacSquats II

Enthusiast
Leave no stone unturned for sure. The specs are suspect on the Audioquest cable. No certification or eARC spec, though their wording is clever. Try these.
View attachment 50027
Thanks for the suggestions, all. The issue is - I have until Thursday EOD to return this unit. Ordering Monoprice cables will take 3-6 days. Is there a comparable cable that would work that I could order from place with faster shipping (like Amazon Prime - 2 day)? Ultra High Speed Certification, ethernet capable and... what other specs would make a reliable cable?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Wouldn’t chance missing return window. Return it, try new one with current cables. If problem persists, get new cables.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for the suggestions, all. The issue is - I have until Thursday EOD to return this unit. Ordering Monoprice cables will take 3-6 days. Is there a comparable cable that would work that I could order from place with faster shipping (like Amazon Prime - 2 day)? Ultra High Speed Certification, ethernet capable and... what other specs would make a reliable cable?
That is why I chose an Amazon source for you. The cable I linked is reliable at a fair price.

P

Poopsy MacSquats II

Enthusiast
Thanks, everyone!

I will be ordering some, returnable, Ultra Hi Speed certified 48 gbps cables from Amazon which will be here in a couple days. If these don't resolve the issue I'll be going the return route.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks, everyone!

I will be ordering some, returnable, Ultra Hi Speed certified 48 gbps cables from Amazon which will be here in a couple days. If these don't resolve the issue I'll be going the return route.
Good plan!

P

Poopsy MacSquats II

Enthusiast
So, the cables didn't have an impact. I returned the receiver. I'll soon be looking into other AVRs. Thanks again for the troubleshooting help.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
:confused: Well, that’s unfortunate. Better luck with the next one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis