M

Methost

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Could someone please explain the need for a line conditioner, what is does and were in the system it actually goes?

Im an audio/video-holic in the making and just begining the planning process for my home theater room. I thought I had an ok system untill I began reading up on them. Now listening to my home theater drives me crazy because I can here all the flaws that this website has taught me to listen for. Thanks guys  
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>It’s good advice to say that you should use a filter/surge protector just as insurance.

However, your power problems may require more than filtering. There are devices that isolate you gear from the AC line (isolation transformers) and devices that stabilize the AC voltage going to your gear. Depending on the quality (or lack of) of your AC you may want to use a isolation transformer with a built in voltage stabilizer.

All of these devices hook up in the same basic way: the conditioner goes between your gear and the wall plug.

The end result of all this is to minimize the noise getting to your gear from the AC line. Noise that gets in via the AC supply may not be completely rejected by the DC power supply in the gear. Any non-common mode junk can be amplified and come out the speakers. All these power gizmos get rid of the noise before it gets to your gear.

Since your planning your AV room I suggest you arrange to have a dedicated AC circuit just for the AV gear. If this is a retrofit you can have a contractor drag some romex and add a breaker to your box. If you’re constructing the room from scratch than it’s a slam dunk. Add a power conditioner/stabilizer to that line and you’re in AC nirvana.</font>

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>This will work well since the room I plan on converting is very near the breaker box. I can run a special line just for my toys. Can anyone recomend a trustworthy yet affordable conditioner/stabilizer?

Thanks for the help.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>For line conditioner, try APC which feature almost all protection like EMI/RFI filtering and surge. For stabilizers, check out Tripp Lite.

The Monster series line conditioners are absolutely the best but pretty pricey so you can keep it as a future upgrade.</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I offer a second recommendation for the Tripp Lite. They have a nice $300 LRC2400 that I like. Double check that the conditioner can supply the watts your gear needs (be sure to add in the TV). The LRC2400 is good to 2,400 Watts (continuous).</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis