Life expectancy of a subwoofer

V

Von Soundcard

Enthusiast
As I understand it, subwoofers live shortest. But how short is that, really ?
I am interested in the period during which a subwoofer sounds 'as in the beginning', tonally and dynamically. However you can add any characteristics relevant to the behaviour of subwoofers in time. I am also interested in the factors that lead to subwoofer aging, other than VOLUME, like the material of the cone, the predominant frequencies (very high or very low - for a sub), time of active use or unuse - maybe a ratio of the two, box type and Who knows what else. If certain brands have different reliability records (on similar products), that is significant in choosing one.
I am especially considering common subwoofers, technically as well as 'pricewise'. However, if you have a 10000 $ subwoofer, you can talk about it. :)

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I used my old Def Tech PF-12 for about 7 years and although I have replaced it with 2 SVS 20-39CS+ subs, it still works fine. I replaced it because I wanted deeper, stronger bass. I would think as long as you don't drive a sub beyond its limits or constantly max it out all the time it would last 15 to 20 years. I know I have old Cerwin Vega speakers (AT-15) with 15" woofers that I've had for 15 years and they still work and sound great. They even survived my late teens and early 20's party years where I know I drove them way harder than anyone should.

S

starfish

Enthusiast
I have a 10 year old M&K MX80. It still looks and sounds brand new. I don't plan on giving her up anytime soon.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Von Soundcard said:
As I understand it, subwoofers live shortest. But how short is that, really ?
I am interested in the period during which a subwoofer sounds 'as in the beginning', tonally and dynamically. However you can add any characteristics relevant to the behaviour of subwoofers in time. I am also interested in the factors that lead to subwoofer aging, other than VOLUME, like the material of the cone, the predominant frequencies (very high or very low - for a sub), time of active use or unuse - maybe a ratio of the two, box type and Who knows what else. If certain brands have different reliability records (on similar products), that is significant in choosing one.
I am especially considering common subwoofers, technically as well as 'pricewise'. However, if you have a 10000 $ subwoofer, you can talk about it. :)

The life of a sub should not be any different than other speakers, unless you contsantly overdrive them. Depending on the foam or rubber used, that may age but repairable. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis