C

Chris2342

Audiophyte
Hi,
I previously purchaesed a lg surround sound, recently the sub woofer has made constant crackling sounds and I now want to replace it, but the only problem is I don't know what I can replace it with as it has a orange connecter, so just looking for general advise on what to do ?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Good morning!

Now time for the bad news: LG only makes HTiB products, which means that they are designed to work solely with their original components. There is no subwoofer you can buy, except the original!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Unfortunately you are out of luck with that setup. Perhaps its time to purchase real surround setup with AVR? :)

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

If you want to keep this system, your best bet would be to pick up another one on ebay. Perhaps you can find someone selling just the sub, but you’ll probably have to spring for the entire system. Maybe you can convince that seller to ship you the sub and ditch the rest of the stuff – at least you’d save on shipping that way.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Be careful. Chances are it is not the sub but the electronics making the sub crackle. You can't be at all certain that it is the sub at fault.

That system belongs were all HTIBS do, the recycling center.

Avoid HTIBs always.

C

Chris2342

Audiophyte
Thanks guys I thought that was going to be the answer i will keep a eye out for a sub, any other systems you would recommend to me?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks guys I thought that was going to be the answer i will keep a eye out for a sub, any other systems you would recommend to me?
Be careful. More than likely it is not the sub. That sub is passive and the electronics and the sub amp is in the central unit. Most subs have the amp in the sub. I can tell by the cable your sub does not have the amp. More than likely it is the sub amp in the central unit where the problem is and not the sub.

Most likely if you buy a sub in eBay you will have the same problem after you connect it.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Be careful. More than likely it is not the sub. That sub is passive and the electronics and the sub amp is in the central unit. Most subs have the amp in the sub. I can tell by the cable your sub does not have the amp. More than likely it is the sub amp in the central unit where the problem is and not the sub.

Most likely if you buy a sub in eBay you will have the same problem after you connect it.
Good point!

Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
With all recommendations, information about you and your environment is key. Purpose for the system? TV, movies, music, all? Room size in approximate cubic feet? Listening distance? And last, but certainly not least, budget? There are some great deals on speakers now, but, if you want maximum effect, spend some bucks on a good sub. Spend most of your money on speakers.

C

Chris2342

Audiophyte

Is this something that can be repaired if I take it somewhere ?

C

Chris2342

Audiophyte
Well I am in the process of moving house so I wanted to get the sub sorted or at least replace it or upgrade the system, it's mainly going to be used for watching films, would £500 be a good starting point could maybe push the budget more if need be, im in the UK. Thanks for your help really appreciate it

Last edited:
C

Chris2342

Audiophyte
This may be a stupid question would it be possible to buy a different reliever, keep the lg speakers and change the sub? Or is not worth it ?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This may be a stupid question would it be possible to buy a different reliever, keep the lg speakers and change the sub? Or is not worth it ?
Not possible nor worth doing.
£500 Eh? I assume you live in UK then. You are partially in luck since you have BKElectronics to turn to for good value subs.

But even without my familiarity with UK prices, I got a strong feeling you should start shopping at second hand market for good stuff.
Plenty of good UK speakers makers and if you're lucky, you may even find BKelec sub 2nd hand :)
I'd highly recommend finding decent used yamaha/denon/marantz AVR (preferably with at least few hdmi ports), one good pair of speakers - wharfedale are nice imo and good value and above mentioned bkelec sub

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis