LG "Smart" TV is spying on you

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Call me paranoid but when Smart TV's first came out this was the first thing I thought of.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
There is a business case for a company to collect anonymous usage data and improve products. I consider it the market analysis and customer satisfaction survey of the internet era. My Google and Microsoft products want to do this. My internet services like Netflix and Amazon want to do it. My bank sends offers based on card use and spending trends.

That said, there is no justification for any company to collect any customer data without explicit consent and even with consent, but, without making the user aware of exactly what data is collected. Further, a company cannot indemnify itself from customer reprisal should the collected data lead to privacy violations. T&C, EULA and other end user agreements are being used to distract the user from these logical conclusions.

I don't mind having my data mined as long as the process is controlled by me and for my benefit. For example, Netflix knows my viewing history to help better rank suggestions and Google Now to keep me better engaged with local events via geolocating my Nexus 5. My antivirus is set to auto update the definitions but not send usage data. I will definitely not let my data be used for outright marketing (I'm looking at you Facebook).

In context with AV, my Denon AVR wanted to phone home and lay my soul bare. This was enabled by default. Needless to say, I turned that "feature" off immediately.

Edit: The LG sending information gleaned from USB drives is an egregious violation of privacy. There is absolutely no justification for it.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As if I needed another reason to avoid LG! This is just the nail in the coffin. I officially boycott any LG product and will pass along this info to all of my friends.

In case anybody wasn't aware, LG stands for "Low Grade" :eek:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There is a business case for a company to collect anonymous usage data and improve products. I consider it the market analysis and customer satisfaction survey of the internet era. My Google and Microsoft products want to do this. My internet services like Netflix and Amazon want to do it. My bank sends offers based on card use and spending trends.

That said, there is no justification for any company to collect any customer data without explicit consent and even with consent, but, without making the user aware of exactly what data is collected. Further, a company cannot indemnify itself from customer reprisal should the collected data lead to privacy violations. T&C, EULA and other end user agreements are being used to distract the user from these logical conclusions.

I don't mind having my data mined as long as the process is controlled by me and for my benefit. For example, Netflix knows my viewing history to help better rank suggestions and Google Now to keep me better engaged with local events via geolocating my Nexus 5. My antivirus is set to auto update the definitions but not send usage data. I will definitely not let my data be used for outright marketing (I'm looking at you Facebook).

In context with AV, my Denon AVR wanted to phone home and lay my soul bare. This was enabled by default. Needless to say, I turned that "feature" off immediately.

Edit: The LG sending information gleaned from USB drives is an egregious violation of privacy. There is absolutely no justification for it.
This is only half of the problem, the other one is TV has continued to send these reports despite turning the feature off..

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Call me paranoid but when Smart TV's first came out this was the first thing I thought of.
You're paranoid!

I NEVER want a "smart" TV. I like them stupid and obedient and loyal, not divulging my private affairs to others. In fact, I would pay extra to not have a "smart" TV (except that I would instead just not give it my password for my internet connection).

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
How's this for paranoid.

Your smart fridge detects you bought frozen pizza, beer and ice cream. It tells your health insurance company and your rate goes up.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
If I had a smart fridge in that scenario, it'd tell my insurance company I was dead since I never have food, or it'd tell them I was an alcoholic -_-

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, "smart toilets". Analyzes the "sample" right there, communicates to the fridge and insurance company at the same time.

Kind of on a tangent here, but I highly recommend the youtube vid of Michio Kaku's predictions for the future.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think we already had a thread on this. It is an LG, so it probably won't work or will die anyway.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So LG is going to issue a firmware update to turn off all metadata scanning when user turns the "feature" off.

LG promises to stop your Smart TV spying on you
This is what happens then such "boo boos" become public and then half-a$$ responses like this one:
"The advice we have been given is that unfortunately as you accepted the Terms and Conditions on your TV, your concerns would be best directed to the retailer,"
"We understand you feel you should have been made aware of these T's and C's at the point of sale, and for obvious reasons LG are unable to pass comment on their actions."

get a 180 turn-a-round and actually doing the right thing...
Well, like slip said it - too little, too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The NSA won't take too kindly to anyone defeating this feature. :cool:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It would be interesting to know if the other TV manufacturers are doing the same thing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis