LG CX - HDMI CEC AVR Power

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Hey folks...

So I'm searching all over the net trying to find a good answer, but as always, when I just can't, I come back here for help. This one is really annoying me. Finally got my last piece (the TV) of my setup and it's perfect except for this one thing driving me crazy.!

LG CX 55 - (PUA obviously)
Marantz 6013 - AVR (7.2. 2)
Panasonic DP-UB820
Dish DVR
(older 722 I think)

In a nutshell, I can't get the damn TV to STOP turning on my AVR..!

So I've seen many forums with posts similar, but no good solution to my problem. I've tried everything I can find or think of myself. This has to be an LG issue, but I can't find the answer and I can't believe every Marantz/Denon owner is OK with this.

OK so..

DVR, and Bluray HDMI in to AVR.

TV thru HDMI 2 (eARC) in to AVR.

LGCX Simplink CEC set to OFF...!
6013 HDMI CEC set to off
(TV Audio Switching) see attch*

All HDMI cables are new, upgraded, and functional.

Now all Audio/Video functions are working normally. Just like before. Just like I want. Just as it was setup before. (meaning begire the CX I just got) - Before I started trying to flip every option on my AVR HDMI set-up, I had it dialed in.

And to be clear, I'm not the guy who needs 1 button to turn everything on or off. Auto switching is great, but I don't mind a manual power ON of the Bluray or the AVR.

What I do mind is this TV won't stop switching IT'S *Simplink CEC* on, and then powering the AVR on..! I only use my AVR for movies and a game or whatever. If I'm watching the news or just TV I don't need the AVR and the 7.2.2 speakers all powered up overkill... (Even with 6013 Eco or Auto with volume low, and AVR limited to 20W, I don't need it. I'm totally fine with the TV speakers until it's movie time. Also and maybe more important, I don't want the AVR powering up 6 tines a day.!!!)

Maybe I'm not understanding my Manual, or some option setting... But this all worked fine with my old TV (Samsung 2k) - and I've found forum posts all over about the LGCX not turning things OFF over CEC. Which I really can't care less about if I tried.

I just want this thing to stop turning my AVR on when I... go to a USB,
go to Antenna,
or Netflix,
or Prime, Disney +.....

Or just the TV power on. ALL THESE turn on my AVR. Hell even if I go to the TV Antenna for OA, it turns on my friggin AVR..! - If I look at the LG sideways it turns on my AVR.

Every time I turn off Simplink, I come back to this screen and it's turned back on. **

What am I missing? What don't I understand? (limited to this only ) What is a work around..?

Or just surrender and run the AVR all day, or turn off the AVR manually over and over again each day... Just waiting for it to bust a cuircut from invest use. I hate all these choices.

If this had been answered, I'm sorry, I can't find it. Everyone is always about the turning off. Not the turning on.

Thanks... As always, thanks.

-Don

Attachments

B

Bullseye198

Audiophyte
Hi Don,

I had the exact same problem as you, and I solved it today so maybe it will work for you also.
I had my Xbox One S plugged into the Denon receiver and it turned on the receiver when I turned on my tv, and then if I turned off the receiver and selected Denon HDMI input it turned on again.
What I did was simply plugged my Xbox directly into the tv in HDMI 1 input and just left my Denon in HDMI 2 eARC port. Now it turns only my TV on and when I turn on my receiver manually, I can control Denon with both receivers. If you want to disable the control with TV remote completely, turn off Simplink on the TV. I just wanted complete control over my avr with tv receiver, but only after I turn it on manually. Simplink is turned on, and everything in Denon hdmi oprions is set to ON, HDMI Cintril is set to ON, tv audio switching also on and power off control also set ON. So I guess when I put another source into HDMI 1 it solved this weird problem. I don't know why it does this
Let me know if it helped.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Hey, thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think I was wrong when I wrote "all Marantz/Denon owners can't be OK with this.."

TBH I was just thinking about how I could maybe try something different with HDMI cables, but I don't have a 3rd new one yet to experiment with. I'd hate to try an older cable, then have no luck and find out I'd wasted my time not using a newer one to begin with.

If I read this right, your change now sends the PlayStation audio back thru the TV eARC to your AVR..?

You know the one big thing that keeps throwing me, is that when I turn the SimpLink OFF on the TV setting, it stays off, but only until I do almost anything else. Or so it seemed.

In fact what appears to be happening is that any time I ever DO choose to turn the AVR on, it switches the SimpLink on the TV back to the ON setting.

So if I choose Netflix or Prime from the TV, I tend to want the 4k from Prime and the DV/DA from Netflix, so I turn the AVR on. When I do this and go back to check the SimpLink I find it has turned on. (so basically any time I use my AVR, the signal flips the TV back - I thought there might be a Video or HDMI setting on the AVR, but if so I can't discern it.)

Honestly it drives me nuts. I watch news or regular TV during the day and actually prefer the TV speakers. But at night when I watch movies, I use the AVR. But the TV doesn't seem inclined to work this way. I'll try cables, and hope it helps, but my worry now is that this is a permanent thing where I'll have to switch the SimpLink ON / OFF every friggin day, or just pay the higher electric bill and run my AVR all the time.

Thanks. If I get lucky with cables, or figure out anything new, I'll post it.

-D

B

Bullseye198

Audiophyte
If I read this right, your change now sends the PlayStation audio back thru the TV eARC to your AVR..?

-D
I think that basically my problem was solved once I plugged another device into HDMI 1. In my case it was Xbox, which was previously connected into the AVR. So instead of trying another cables, maybe try to connect some device like that into HDMI 1. My SimpLink is always turned ON, as well as all of the HDMI Controls. It just works once I turn on my AVR manually, which is exactly what I wanted. I own this TV for 1 day so I don't know why it works like that. Need to test more and play more with it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes these HDMI-cec type deals are predicated on using the same brand's idea of such, add in other brands and things can go sideways. Easiest IMO is avoiding ARC and HDMI CEC altogether and just use macros in a universal remote and use the tv for display only....lots easier :)

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Yeah, so I don't have a PlayStation but I do have another older HDMI DVD player. Connected to HDMI 1 and nothing changed.

I think another real issue here is my Cable/Satellite (Dish) is and always has been run via HDMI thru my AVR. This always worked just fine on my older Samsung TV. But the LG flat out won't recognize it. It has never registered the Hopper, even as it's playing.

I haven't actually used my old Harmony remote with macros in forever. It just wasn't necessary with my old TV. The Samsung never turned on the AVR. But clearly lovin you're right as usual and I should probably go back to the Harmony, or better yet save up for one built in this last decade or two.

For those keeping score, my 722 Hopper isn't capable of 4K streaming, so while it used to be my preferred method (due to the ease of use factor) now the TV is my go to for streaming services. So it would seem than now there's no advantage to running the Hopper thru the AVR... I guess..? - one reason I always preferred everything thru the AVR is that when I use eARC from the TV, I can't get the speaker configuration setting on screen from the Marantz OSD. I have to get my phone and use the remote, to see the Audio and Video details. And very clumsily so compared to the OSD. This is occasionally an issue based on my input. Some tines I've had to adjust the subs down or the center up, or maybe the height channels. I know, I know I'd it's set right this shouldn't be necessary, but my system is in my small living room and sometimes adjustments are required. I mean Atmos comes thru different from DTS. Which can be different from DTS-MSTR, and which can very from DTS-MSTR 5.1 to 7.1 original sourcing.

So... Now what I'll try is running the Hopper straight to the TV and learning to forgo the easy AVR OSD for these adjustments. Maybe that's half my problem right there. Though I don't know why. I mean half the benefit of the friggin AVR is having 7 HDMI IN and running all to a single monitor. But the TV appears to demand control..? Argh.

So annoyed...

B

Bullseye198

Audiophyte
Yeah, so I don't have a PlayStation but I do have another older HDMI DVD player. Connected to HDMI 1 and nothing changed.
Have you tried on your TV to set the Sound Output to TV Speaker? Maybe then it will work, tv speakers will be default and once you turn on your AVR it will turn to ARC

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Actually, the only thing that's come even close has been connecting everything EXCEPT the Bluray to the TV HDMI IN. Which in my mind is lame. Forcing everything through the eARC to the AVR. - Rather than my AVR and its 8 HDM ON that I paid for.

Which as I noted earlier means. I can't use the AVR's. On Screen Display feature for tweaks or changes. Maybe not bothering most, but irritating.me no end.

So now my DVR is on HDMI 1, and recognized, where it wasn't found before on the TV input mapping / info screen. Shows up as Dish Detroit, LLC, and sets it's own Video mode. *Turning this on neither powers up the TV or the AVR.

Bluray is connected to AVR and this powers up the AVR and switches it and the TV. *Not certain if it powers the TV on yet cause my TV is always on before I'm watching a movie. BUT, it doesn't power OFF the TV when I turn it off. And the TV doesn't auto-switch back to Dish DVR, even if it's still in. Shows the Picture Frame screen and has to manually be put back to HDM 1.

So... I think this is part of the Hopper engineering /software bumping up against the other two. Maybe partly since they changed the Hopper to have an Always On on screen with the scree saver advertising. (and because it never truly powers off except during a reset.)

Still not doing exactly what I'd hoped for, but at least it isn't powering up my AVR now every time you touch anything. I mean it used to turn on my AVR if I went to the USB..! WTF is that..?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I noticed in your pics that the Marantz HDMI Control was set to ON. Turn it OFF. You may have to turn HDMI Pass Through back on if it changes after turning HDMI Control OFF. It should default to pass the CBL/SAT signal when AVR is OFF. Turn HDMI Control OFF in every device that has HDMI-CEC capability including the TV's Simplink.
Unplug everything for a few seconds, power cords and HDMI cables, and plug them all back in. Sounds silly, but you want a clean slate. Hook everything up to the AVR. Then, the one HDMI cable from AVR's Monitor 1(ARC) output into the TV's HDMI 2(eARC) input. Now, stream something from the TV apps. See if it turns on the AVR. It should not do so. Turn on the AVR and select the TV input. You should get sound from TV stream to AVR's speakers. If so, turn OFF AVR and select the HDMI input for the AVR on the TV. You should see your Cable Box and sound should be coming from TV speakers. Report back with results. If it does not work properly, I have a theory, but you are not going to like it. :confused:

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Thanks... I have done this. There was actually, and surprisingly no setting on either device that showed the signal info from the Dish DVR when it was passing through the AVR first. Now I can't say with any certainty that it did with the older TV, because I never connected the Dish DVR directly to that TV's HDMI.

It is maybe possible I didn't unplug everything after each change, but I did try every setting on the AVR. That pic was a snapshot in time during these attempts, though not the last. It might be where I left it after I got to where I am now. Which as I said... It's functional, but not really what I wanted. Because I can't speak for everyone, but I prefer using the AVR OSD for changes. Not the lame Marantz phone app. And there is no way other than this when using the eARC. Not that I've found.

I will try unplugging everything again, and following the steps as laid out. But the one thing that always screws up any attempted change was the SimpLink turning itself back on. I still have no clue exactly how or why this happens.

I'm interested in your theory. If it's similar to mine, it would mean that my new awesome TV just isn't meant to work the way I want or expect it to.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I hate the signal info omission scenario when going through an AVR. The biggest mess with HDMI-CEC is that there is no requirement for manufactures of devices to implement all of it's features. So, compatibility issues are commonplace since you never really know what you are going to get.

B

Bullseye198

Audiophyte
You
Actually, the only thing that's come even close has been connecting everything EXCEPT the Bluray to the TV HDMI IN. Which in my mind is lame. Forcing everything through the eARC to the AVR. - Rather than my AVR and its 8 HDM ON that I paid for.

Which as I noted earlier means. I can't use the AVR's. On Screen Display feature for tweaks or changes. Maybe not bothering most, but irritating.me no end.
Have you tried putting the sound output to TV speakers on your LG? That solved my issue. I even have full hdmi controls turned on and it doesn't turn my avr when I turn my TV on.
For not seeing your avr On Screen Feature, you can use the app to see the info screen. I am talking about Denon, but I think Marantz has the same app.
I will try tomorrow to test everything again.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The AVR GUI will never be viewable on any TV when the TV is displaying it's own apps, TV tuner or the HDMI input of directly connected devices. You must select the HDMI input that the AVR is connected to, usually the one marked (ARC/eARC) in order to use the AVR GUI.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Thanks guys... Yeah, bullseye, I answered that earlier.

And I definitely understand about the TV vs AVR OSD/GUI. It's just annoying to me because now the TV is tied with my BRP for best A/V streaming device. So when it's my default, meaning any time I don't stream something immediately after a Bluray, it's through the TV and I have to use that App.

Just goes back to that thing from my prior post. Sometimes, a DTS-HD vs a DTS-MSTR, vs Atmos... They come thru a bit differently and it wasn't uncommon to tweak the center level up, or a movie may have an especially boomy bass. Because of my room these things happen... It's just so easy to grab the remote. Make a quick adjustment and get out.

The best fix for this I know is using the 4 "presets" on the remote, but even that can be a problem when I'm not certain of the audio track. It's actually another of those things I'd quickly check the OSD/GUI to check. (meaning the Audio format info you can see from the "option" button on a Marantz/Denon)

This is just something I'm going to have to get used to. And taking the Dish HDMI to the TV is the AVR power up fix so, I have my issue corrected, it's just not my preferred method.

I mean I'll just say it again. I have 8 HDMI IN on the AVR. Obviously that's more than most need, and apparently I won't be using the 1st one for Cab/Sat anymore. Now, I have 8 and use only the 1, for the BRP.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I mean I'll just say it again. I have 8 HDMI IN on the AVR. Obviously that's more than most need, and apparently I won't be using the 1st one for Cab/Sat anymore. Now, I have 8 and use only the 1, for the BRP.
If it makes ya feel better, despite multiple hdmi inputs I use max two hdmi inputs in my setups, one for the optical disc player in each case, and one for the Fire Sticks in two of them.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
So, it still turned your AVR on after trying it again?

B

Bullseye198

Audiophyte
Thanks guys... Yeah, bullseye, I answered that earlier.
I made a video for you showcasing how it works in my case. Maybe it will work for it too, try it out. Just let me know if I am on the right track with your goal.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
So real quick, cause, I don't have a lot of time right now to write. But thanks, that wasn't easy I'm sure, to make that video. And I appreciate it.

Basically that's pretty much exactly where I'm at now. Those settings weren't that hard to figure. But what they were doing was confusing. And while we have essentially the same AVR's, you don't have the Dish Network Hopper I think. I'm pretty sure that's part of my issue. Moving it from the AVR to the HDMI on the TV sorta fixed that part. Because whenever I turned it on it triggered everything. At first..!

And to be honest I had the eARC and TV Speakers all set properly, as well as trying the SimpLink both On and OFF. I also had the AVR set exactly the same.

Something about moving the Dish from the AVR to the TV stopped that part.

More later...

B

Bullseye198

Audiophyte
So real quick, cause, I don't have a lot of time right now to write. But thanks, that wasn't easy I'm sure, to make that video. And I appreciate it.

Basically that's pretty much exactly where I'm at now. Those settings weren't that hard to figure. But what they were doing was confusing. And while we have essentially the same AVR's, you don't have the Dish Network Hopper I think. I'm pretty sure that's part of my issue. Moving it from the AVR to the HDMI on the TV sorta fixed that part. Because whenever I turned it on it triggered everything. At first..!

And to be honest I had the eARC and TV Speakers all set properly, as well as trying the SimpLink both On and OFF. I also had the AVR set exactly the same.

Something about moving the Dish from the AVR to the TV stopped that part.

More later...
So my problem came again once I connected my Xbox back into the AVR, then whatever I did, it kept turnin my avr on when I did not wanted that. The only solution I found, is to every time disconnect a HDMI cable from the Xbox when it's not in use. So frustrating.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So my problem came again once I connected my Xbox back into the AVR, then whatever I did, it kept turnin my avr on when I did not wanted that. The only solution I found, is to every time disconnect a HDMI cable from the Xbox when it's not in use. So frustrating.
You sure you have hdmi cec turned off in each unit?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis