LG C1 & Anthem MRX510 problems

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I just picked up the LG C1,. and so far it's incredible. Aside from what I think is a handshake issue. My current setup is laptop hdmi out, into the anthem, then hdmi out of the anthem into the TV. Side note, I'm using USB audio into a dac for music only. All TV audio is over hdmi.

So the issue I'm having, and this migjt be the computer, is that in the display settings of the computer, it recognizes the laptop display and also sees that the anthem is a "display" too. This limits my max refresh rate to 30fps. Anything higher and the screen freaks out.

I did run a test, and with the hdmi directly out of the computer into the TV, the computer allows me to select 120fps refresh rate. I'm losing my mind here a little bit and so I'm looking for some suggestions. I'm heading into work now, so I'll check in periodically and try to respond!

Thanks!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I just picked up the LG C1,. and so far it's incredible. Aside from what I think is a handshake issue. My current setup is laptop hdmi out, into the anthem, then hdmi out of the anthem into the TV. Side note, I'm using USB audio into a dac for music only. All TV audio is over hdmi.

So the issue I'm having, and this migjt be the computer, is that in the display settings of the computer, it recognizes the laptop display and also sees that the anthem is a "display" too. This limits my max refresh rate to 30fps. Anything higher and the screen freaks out.

I did run a test, and with the hdmi directly out of the computer into the TV, the computer allows me to select 120fps refresh rate. I'm losing my mind here a little bit and so I'm looking for some suggestions. I'm heading into work now, so I'll check in periodically and try to respond!

Thanks!
How about hooking the laptop directly to the TV, then enabling the Audio Return Channel on the HDMI on the TV Input and on the Anthem?

This may or may not work, (some quirks in this system too), but it is worth a try.

Beyond that, surely the Anthem can handle a refresh rate higher than 30Hz, so is there some processing going on there that needs to be turned off and allow it to simply pass the signal?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Anthem is HDMI 1.4 equipped with an early form of 4K passthrough. Trying to pass 4K HDR @120 HZ is not going to work through it. I don't believe 4K SDR @60 will work either which is why it is displaying 30. Connecting it directly to the TV will deliver the best video results. Turn on HDMI-CEC(SIMPLINK) in the LG TV and also in the Anthem and then activate ARC. The Anthem does not support eARC so lossless codecs will not be passed over ARC.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The Anthem is HDMI 1.4 equipped with an early form of 4K passthrough. Trying to pass 4K HDR @120 HZ is not going to work through it. I don't believe 4K SDR @60 will work either which is why it is displaying 30. Connecting it directly to the TV will deliver the best video results. Turn on HDMI-CEC(SIMPLINK) in the LG TV and also in the Anthem and then activate ARC. The Anthem does not support eARC so lossless codecs will not be passed over ARC.
Some info on the HDMI 1.4 showing that max 4K is 30Hz.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
HDMI 1.4 is limited to 10Gb/s which maxes out at 4K/30. You aren't going to be able to pass anything higher than that through the Anthem.

If the Anthem supports ARC, then that is DEFINITELY the way to go here, or use the optical out of the LG to the Anthem. You will be losing Atmos and HD lossless, but the Anthem wouldn't get that through ARC either.

The problem with 4K/60 or higher is that you have to have ALL compatible equipment, not just some. EDID will force the lowest common denominator of HDMI to be used otherwise.

Here's a nifty chart that shows resolutions and the bandwidth they take up...
Resolution Data Rates.jpg

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

Thanks!
What model laptop are you using & what type of connection are you going to connect to the TV. If it's a straight HDMI to HDMI, the laptop needs to support HDMI 2.0.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
How about hooking the laptop directly to the TV, then enabling the Audio Return Channel on the HDMI on the TV Input and on the Anthem?

This may or may not work, (some quirks in this system too), but it is worth a try.

Beyond that, surely the Anthem can handle a refresh rate higher than 30Hz, so is there some processing going on there that needs to be turned off and allow it to simply pass the signal?
I don't really understand how the ARC works. So, sounds like I could hdmi directly to TV, then output via the arc back to the anthem?

And yes, the MRX510 can handle 120hz...my other option is to output via optical on the TV to the anthem.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
HDMI 1.4 is limited to 10Gb/s which maxes out at 4K/30. You aren't going to be able to pass anything higher than that through the Anthem.

If the Anthem supports ARC, then that is DEFINITELY the way to go here, or use the optical out of the LG to the Anthem. You will be losing Atmos and HD lossless, but the Anthem wouldn't get that through ARC either.

The problem with 4K/60 or higher is that you have to have ALL compatible equipment, not just some. EDID will force the lowest common denominator of HDMI to be used otherwise.

Here's a nifty chart that shows resolutions and the bandwidth they take up...
View attachment 53653
Thanks! Sweet chart too, very interesting.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Oh my God. I just realized that there is only one input on the back of the Anthem that is labeled 4k. And I'm not sure if I have the computer plugged into it!

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Alright, I have the laptop plugged directly into the LG but I'm still stuck at a 30hz refresh rate. Could it be my hdmi cable? The ones I'm using are probably 7 years old from monoprice.

I guess I'm not sure what specs the cable should have. I do need one that is 10 long, so I hope that is not a problem.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Alright, I have the laptop plugged directly into the LG but I'm still stuck at a 30hz refresh rate. Could it be my hdmi cable? The ones I'm using are probably 7 years old from monoprice.

I guess I'm not sure what specs the cable should have. I do need one that is 10 long, so I hope that is not a problem.
Again what model laptop are you using?
  • It may allow you to do 4k/120, but that may be through a USB type C gen2 (Thunderport) like a Macbook pro
  • The laptop HDMI out must be HDMI 2.1 or you will never get 4k/120 and keep banging your head against the wall
  • Even my 3 month old Macbook Pro M1 Max does not have HDMI 2.1, so I am assuming you have a 2020 or greater high end gaming laptop with HDMI 2.1?

Last edited:
PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Again what model laptop are you using?
  • It may allow you to do 4k/120, but that may be through a USB type C gen2 (Thunderport) like a Macbook pro
  • The laptop HDMI out must be HDMI 2.1 or you will never get 4k/120 and keep banging you head against the wall
  • Even my 3 month old Macbook Pro M1 Max does not have HDMI 2.1, so I am assuming you have a 2020 or greater high end gaming laptop with HDMI 2.1?
Thanks, here are the specs.

HP 15-dbx0004
Processor:
Amd ryzen 3 2200u with Radeon Vega mobile gfx 2.50 ghz

8gb ram

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Problem solved, you can not externally display 4k/120, your laptop specs do not support it.

2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data Transfer Only); 1 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI 1.4b; 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo

You are limited to 4k/30 only

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That chart should be included in HDMI cable packaging and in the manual of every device with HDMI ports.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Problem solved, you can not externally display 4k/120, you laptop specs do not support it.

2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data Transfer Only); 1 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI 1.4b; 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo

You are limited to 4k/30 only
Thanks for the assistance. Until yiu asked about the computer specs I didn't even think about it. So aside from a new laptop what would be my options? I use the computer for music and tv/movies.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the assistance. Until yiu asked about the computer specs I didn't even think about it. So aside from a new laptop what would be my options? I use the computer for music and tv/movies.
The solution is a $50 Roku 4K Stick or just running apps directly on the TV for playback. Having a computer as a home theater device is nice if it is an upgradable computer, but using a laptop is tough because of the lack of an upgrade path when doing so.

Your option with your laptop is pretty much non-existent because everything is soldered onto the main board. It isn't an upgradable product.

So, if using it, you max out at 4K/30, because that is what it is.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
The solution is a $50 Roku 4K Stick or just running apps directly on the TV for playback. Having a computer as a home theater device is nice if it is an upgradable computer, but using a laptop is tough because of the lack of an upgrade path when doing so.

Your option with your laptop is pretty much non-existent because everything is soldered onto the main board. It isn't an upgradable product.

So, if using it, you max out at 4K/30, because that is what it is.
It's a sad realization.

I have to say though, I really learned a lot from this thread. Everything from hdmi 1.4 - 2.0, to computer graphics cards and bandwidth of 4k hdmi cables. Thanks to all who helped!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis