LG brand reliability sucks

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
My 1 1/2 year old LG 20" monitor died and is out of warranty. I am just glad it wasn't a 50" plasma or LED where more money is involved. Went back to my old CRT which lasts 20 or 30 years without failure.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
My 1 1/2 year old LG 20" monitor died and is out of warranty. I am just glad it wasn't a 50" plasma or LED where more money is involved. Went back to my old CRT which lasts 20 or 30 years without failure.
You can't make claims about a brand's reliability with a sample size of 1.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I will admit that sucks. But to make a claim that LG makes unreliable products is completely ridiculous. Do you realize how many thousands of these monitors they make.

Every company has failures. Even really high end companies have failures.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have both 20" LCD pc monitor and 42" Plasma both from LG and I couldn't be happier with their performance (for their price at time of purchase) and reliability over last 3 years.
My manager purchased Samsung 50" Plasma TV at about same time and already have burned pixels... you don't hear me ranting over Samsung brand

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
You can't make claims about a brand's reliability with a sample size of 1.
I guess you would have to look at Consumers Report or maybe JD Powers as they have larger sample sizes. Caveot Emptor.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
My 6 year old LG LDA-530 is my favorite DVD player. It plays anything (PAL, other regions, scratched discs) I throw at it and has been beaten up from moves and other components swapping out around it, and it still comes back begging for more. Ahh life's good :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have heard a number of times that their displays are not well regarded for quality, but many of their other products are. I have cell phones from them that are 10yrs old that still work great. Each is a separate division, so quality will vary by product line, and often even within a product line.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
We have a number of guys at our office who had LG displays and had them fail on them. Yeah, I'm always happy to hear success stories with LG, but I wouldn't buy them or recommend them for sure. I stick with Panasonic every single time if I can for a quality product I think they do great.

LG products can look really good, but that's about as far as it seems to go with them. I wish they would get their QC together, or extend their warranty to 3 years and really stand behind it.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I will say that LG is known to make better cell phones than TVs -- I know this sounds random and without merit, but I can say they make one heck of a cell phone...

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
My LG HDTV broke down after 2 1/2 years - thanks God I bought extended warranty - they fixed it. But for 1600$ hdtv I would expect to last much longer.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I've had my LG plasma for five or six years and never had any issues. Could be that I'm lucky or the quality control has become an issue in the last few years.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
Straight from Consumer Reports

Flat panel TVs LCD's reliability (Repairs and Serious Problems):

Panasonic 2 %
Sanyo 2 %
Sylvania 2 %
Sony 3 %
JVC 3 %
Vizio 3 %
Sharp 3 %
Emerson 3 %
LG 3 %
Insignia 4 %
Toshiba 4 %
Magnavox 4 %
Philips 4 %
ViewSonic 4 %
Samsung 4 %
Westinghouse 8 %
Polaroid 10 %
Mitsubishi 12 %

Reliability for Plasmas Tv's (Repairs and Serious Problems):

Panasonic 3 %
Samsung 5 %
LG 6 %

Last edited by a moderator:
I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Being “InTheIndusty” for over 10 years now, this is a subject I have investigated many many times. Here’s how to look at things in a general sense regarding standard, name brands: You DO NOT pay for durability in TVs. You pay for performance. Think of it in terms of cars…. A $90k Porsche is not going to last any longer than a $17k Honda just because it cost more. But it sure is a lot faster. And, possibly, in being faster that might put more wear on the vehicle causing it to not last as long or require more repairs over its life. Make sense?

That analogy has served me well when looking at standard, name brand consumer electronics in general. Particularly TVs. You’re buying features, not durability, no matter what anyone tells you. Also, manufacturers test these things like crazy before they ship. Sometimes a few bad ones get out. Sometimes a lot of bad ones get out. It’s just the luck of the draw.
I've used many video products from many many many manufacturers over the years. LG isn't any better or worse than any other name brand manufacturer. There are bad stories about every brand and any time we’ve put in a warranty claim for an LG (twice over the last 5 years) they’ve come out and fully serviced the TV within 7 days. Pretty good!

We've done a ton of work for a local horse track and mounted 40, 55" LGs this past June. It's a terrible, dusty environment because of the track being near the simulcast area and, on top of that, the LGs are literally on 12 hours straight a day and have been running that way since early May. Absolutely zero problems. We’ve done around $175K in LG brand large panel TVs this year alone and have had one set have an issue (a 42SL80, which is a super thin model. I would actually chalk that up to it being one of the 1st of its kind – growing pains). We’ve also done a decent amount of Samsung, Sony, Sharp, and Panasonic but certainly not enough to have a sample size we do of the LG brand. No issues from those brands either.

A great friend of mine is a regional mgr of a HUGE regional (to me) big box type chain. We met up for lunch one day and spoke about durability. He agreed that it’s cyclical. We went back to one of his stores and he showed me a list of Samsungs “bad out of box” or “back from repair” that would make your head spin. He said they had an awful problem. He said they had more Samsung issues with broken sets out of the box warranty claims/returns that year than almost all of the other brands put together. That was 2009. This year, he thinks they have some really well built, good looking TVs (except their 3D is garbage, but that’s just picture quality).

I’m sorry for your problem but it’s happened to us all. Good luck moving forward!

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Flat panel TVs LCD's reliability (Repairs and Serious Problems):

Panasonic 2 %
Sanyo 2 %
Sylvania 2 %
Sony 3 %
JVC 3 %
Vizio 3 %
Sharp 3 %
Emerson 3 %
LG 3 %
Insignia 4 %
Toshiba 4 %
Magnavox 4 %
Philips 4 %
ViewSonic 4 %
Samsung 4 %
Westinghouse 8 %
Polaroid 10 %
Mitsubishi 12 %

Reliability for Plasmas Tv's (Repairs and Serious Problems):

Panasonic 3 %
Samsung 5 %
LG 6 %
In the case of some of these numbers, I would love to see sales volume in terms of sets sold for the year of this sample?

Polaroid & Westinghouse, I'm sure did a TON of volume because the sets are cheap. Mits has no excuse. They are priced at a premium and are a lower volume brand.

The reverse should be considered as well. Panasonic sells very few LCD TVs and would (hopefully) have a lower QC issue on a per unit basis. In electronic assemply like what goes on with a TV, the more/less you make, the more/less problems you could have. Somewhere down someone's line of parts an issue can come up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
We have a number of guys at our office who had LG displays and had them fail on them. Yeah, I'm always happy to hear success stories with LG, but I wouldn't buy them or recommend them for sure. I stick with Panasonic every single time if I can for a quality product I think they do great.

LG products can look really good, but that's about as far as it seems to go with them. I wish they would get their QC together, or extend their warranty to 3 years and really stand behind it.
You mention Panasonic (I have a 50G25 in my bedroom & love it) as having superior quality but have you read this? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167339 . Or this? http://hometheater.about.com/b/2010/03/06/panasonic-sued-over-plasma-black-level-issue.htm

There are several detailed threads at AVS as well as quite a few articles from respected sources detailing what’s been deemed as a bit of a scandal. Panasonic came up with a kind of goofy answer to explain why they “purposefully” have their TVs do this, but come on. Add to that the fact that it’s now been reported that they fixed these displays for models moving forward so that the change is less noticeable and, to me, it sounds like an admission of guilt. I think what Panasonic was doing was setting things up to have their TVs setting be at “A” while in a showroom or at a review to show a better perceived & measurable, deeper picture only to have their TVs gradually change black level performance to “B, C, then D” real world levels after being in someone’s home over a period of time, possibly increasing durability?

While the Panasonic issues aren’t an example of a TV “breaking” I would certainly say that it’s a showing of how a brand of TV’s superior performance doesn’t hold up as advertised. Which begs the question: Knowing & comparing what the long term in-home picture quality would be on a showroom floor, would someone buy the Panasonic sets to begin with? Who knows, but Panasonic obviously felt the need to sway opinions.

This reminds me of how different companies (ahem, Sony anyone?) would fudge their receiver wattage ratings in order to show bigger numbers, however in real world usage there was no way the amp inside could realistically do what the fact sheets said.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
NEWS FLASH !!!

these days, buying anything is a crap shoot.

my toshiba 32" took a dump at 14 months. luckily i not only got it fixed for free. i made about $125 off the deal.

if you bought it with a credit card, as you should. it will have a 1 year extended warranty.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
You mention Panasonic (I have a 50G25 in my bedroom & love it) as having superior quality but have you read this? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167339 . Or this? http://hometheater.about.com/b/2010/03/06/panasonic-sued-over-plasma-black-level-issue.htm

There are several detailed threads at AVS as well as quite a few articles from respected sources detailing what’s been deemed as a bit of a scandal. Panasonic came up with a kind of goofy answer to explain why they “purposefully” have their TVs do this, but come on. Add to that the fact that it’s now been reported that they fixed these displays for models moving forward so that the change is less noticeable and, to me, it sounds like an admission of guilt. I think what Panasonic was doing was setting things up to have their TVs setting be at “A” while in a showroom or at a review to show a better perceived & measurable, deeper picture only to have their TVs gradually change black level performance to “B, C, then D” real world levels after being in someone’s home over a period of time, possibly increasing durability?

While the Panasonic issues aren’t an example of a TV “breaking” I would certainly say that it’s a showing of how a brand of TV’s superior performance doesn’t hold up as advertised. Which begs the question: Knowing & comparing what the long term in-home picture quality would be on a showroom floor, would someone buy the Panasonic sets to begin with? Who knows, but Panasonic obviously felt the need to sway opinions.

This reminds me of how different companies (ahem, Sony anyone?) would fudge their receiver wattage ratings in order to show bigger numbers, however in real world usage there was no way the amp inside could realistically do what the fact sheets said.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he knows about it, as it's been talked a lot about at various forums, AH being no exception. FWIW, I would pretty much only consider a Panny plasma myself if I was to buy my first flat panel (never have).

The above is definitely a major goof though. I guess depending on the model, it's either the rising MLL or the floating blacks.

But on the topic of reliability, anyone and their mother knows when a set isn't working anymore. I would say only 1 out of a 1000 would know that their MLL has risen. I can hardly think of anyone who does all of the following: 1) watches with all lights off 2) actually even calibrated their set to begin with 3) let alone have it on cinema/film/THX mode.

Not an excuse, and I know you've already distinguished the difference between "quality" and "reliability".

I've seen my friend's 65V10 a couple/few times now. No, he had no idea how to enable 24p in his system, nor had a clue that various NR settings were engaged, and he never watches anything with the lights off. The set looks fantastic, and even if the MLL was to rise, I want to know what LCD out there can beat it in terms of not only MLL, but shadow detail, motion resolution, color accuracy, etc, you know being overall superior, but at ~65" for ~$2500. Needless to say, I think it looks fantastic for the money, whatever the MLL might be measured atm.

My other friend landed a 50S2 for $680. I'd like to know what LCD, or plasma for that matter, out there can beat it at that size and price.

And for the worst case scenario of the rising MLL, one day it will be just perfect again, though that would likely be years from the date of purchase. After all, that was the original intent, wasn't it?

washburn

washburn

Audioholic
2 yrs+ on my Samsung 550 series LCD and still going strong...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My Dad's old Samsung is almost 10yrs old now. Cost an arm and a leg when it came out and is only 720p, but it still works fine and looks good.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
From what I understand, Sony and Samsung are making some of the best displays now -- and have for awhile -- with Samsung's LCDs rated highest; Panasonic makes some damn good plasmas, again from my understanding, and as far as I am concerned, I think I'll stick with LG for my cell phones, which are in my opinion their best product.

If we purchase a new TV to replace our 50" SXRD, it will most likely be a Sony or Samsung if it's an LCD.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis