LG 55LW5700- no 5.1 surround output

C

cbrian3

Audiophyte
Hi everyone. I'm having a frusterating experience with my LG 55LW5700 55" LED 3D tv. I've had it for a week now (purchased at cosco) and for the life of me can't get it to output in 5.1 digital surround to my Sony Stereo. Here's some background info...

- Using HDMI cable from my comcast cable box to TV
- Using HDMI cable from my XBOX 360 to TV
- using OPTICAL output cable to my SONY Receiver.
- TV speakers set to OFF (which greys out all audio adjustments for tv)
- If i use the optical cable directly from cable box (or xbox) to tv- I get 5.1 surround so something is happening during the input / output from the tv

This is the same setup I used when I purchased a Vizio 55" LCD 3D - and had full surround sound from comcast box and the xbox(which later returned to Costco because the terrible 3d mode).

I called LG's helpdesk and after the guy had me fiddle with a bunch of settings in the SETUP menu - he put me on hold and came back saying that the TV will ONLY output a 5.1 surround sound signal if I use a CO-AX cable from my comcast cable box to the TV and said my current HDMI cable is messing up the "direct connection" of audio and that it will only send a PCM signal. I can't wrap my head around this but basically he said my tv is covered under Warranty and a service technition needs to come out and will make an update to the tv so HDMI cables can be used - but I will risk having Lip-Sync problems from my comcast cable provider.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Is there a firmware update that can fix this? I absolutely love the 3d imaging the LG has and I'm doing everything I can to resist the temptation of giving up and returning this for another brand of TV.

Please help - with specific instructions (or links) if this topic has been covered before. I spent 30 minutes browsing this website for the answer.

thanks -

Brian

C

cbrian3

Audiophyte
Someone from another forum gave me a response of: "The tv will downsample 5.1 to stereo 2.0 for stuff that it passes through the optical output. The only way it will keep 5.1 intact is if it comes in via OTA (over the air). Your best bet is run optical straight to the receiver or get a receiver that can handle the HDMI switching and supports 3d passthrough. "

My question is - why would a TV downsample a signal rather than leave it as is? - or a better question - should I just simply return this LG to costco and go with a different brand, or will other brands do the same thing? I had returned a Vizio that I had no problem with 5.1 surround with-

What is the service tech that LG is sending out going to do to my TV that will keep it from downsampling?

What is HDMI switching and 3d passthrough support?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Brian!

Although I can't see it listed in the owner's manual for your new LG, it's not uncommon for TVs to convert audio from an HDMI input into two-channel audio for output through the optical output. I was hoping to confirm that in your manual (or see that it wasn't the case), but I can't find a mention of it.

HDMI switching is just a way of saying that a receiver accepts HDMI inputs (e.g. from your cable box and XBox 360), has an HDMI output (to connect to your TV), and allows you to switch between the inputs. A lot of receivers these days can do that.

3D passthrough support means that the receiver will pass 3D video. 3D video is a relatively new technology, and older receivers with HDMI don't all have enough capability to pass that 3D video through to your TV. A number of newer receivers can do it.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
All the TV's I've seen won't "pass through" multi-channel audio to a receiver. It will be converted to two channel audio, which can be passed through DPL or some such, but that's not "real" multi-channel. Frankly, I'm surprised that you had a TV that would do this.

It will send multi-channel audio if it was generated from it's internal ATSC OTA tuner, which is what would happen if you could feed a cable to the TV input and have the TV's tuner "tune" it in, but with everything comcast sends here scrambled, I doubt it would work.

If you want real multi-channel from external sources, you're gonna have to feed the audio directly to the receiver.

That's the main reason people use receivers for source selection, not TV's.

FWIW, I would like to do it via the TV also, but it ain't happenin'.

Last edited:
S

sarms

Audiophyte
Problem solved

Hey all,

I bought a LG 55LW5700 55" LED 3D TV last week, attempted to set up my home system the same way cbrian3 did, and ran into the same problem.

The solution is to change the settings on the TV for how each HDMI input (listed separately) is passed on to the optical output, from PCM to AC3 (5.1). I had to get a technician to come out to do this, as it requires a special remote and password that LG only gives technicians. He had to do it via a menu screen that looks completely different from the ones that come up for the tv remote. Why isn't this available to me? He shrugged.

LG phone support couldn't explain what was going on, as initially I had a problem getting any audio to come through, but at least they were quick to set up a technician visit, covered by warranty. At some point when I'm in a zen mood and can handle inanity I'll call LG back to ask for an explanation as to why they didn't think consumers could handle the huge responsibility of changing the output signal settings. Can you imagine if you wanted to upgrade your sources from stereo to 5.1 one-by-one over time, requiring an LG-authorized technician visit each time?!? Thankfully I am all done with that.

There doesn't appear to be a lag on the audio after the video on the tv's "normal" video mode, but it was noticable on "cinema." I didn't notice it while gaming in "gaming" mode, but it's hard to tell. Either way, audio lag with this setup is preferable to video lag with a setup running hdmi through the receiver to the tv.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum - and thanks for taking the time to let us know the solution!

I did a quick Google search for "LG 55LW5700 service menu," found this thread over at the AVS forum, and found the link to this site that says how to get into the menu. Be sure to read up on any potential issues with entering that service menu before doing it - but I thought that you (and other people here) might like to know that you can do it yourself.

J

jaymz

Enthusiast
I have a new 55LW5600 (essentially the same TV as the OP), and right now, I have the TV connected to my Dish 622 DVR via HDMI. I have the audio out from the TV (optical) connected directly to one of the optical ins on my Marantz SR7300. Works fine, but only get stereo. I use the Circle Surround on the receiver to simulate multi-channel sound. It's better than nothing, but gonna try the hack above.

Update: Doesn't look too difficult to get into the service mode, but I gonna need the exact procedure and codes to accomplish this. Anyone know the details?

Jim

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Jim. Do you have enough open connections to use a digital audio connection directly from the Dish 622 to the Marantz? If so, you could run the audio that way and not have to risk the hack.

J

jaymz

Enthusiast
Hi, Jim. Do you have enough open connections to use a digital audio connection directly from the Dish 622 to the Marantz? If so, you could run the audio that way and not have to risk the hack.
Not sure; will have to check. I assume the HDMI cable from the DVR to the TV contains the Dish audio (that's the only way it can get there right now). So, you're saying running the HDMI thru the TV degrades the audio to the receiver to stereo?

Anyway, the problem is that the DVR is 35' from the TV. Running the HDMI cable was so much fun, I don't really want to run an optical cable...but it's an option.

Jim

S

sarms

Audiophyte
jaymz, there is only a degradation of the signal because the tv is by default set to output it as stereo. Adam was just saying you could avoid the service menu and potential headaches by connecting directly. I can't post the direct link yet to the page explaining how to access the service menu, just follow the link that Adam posted. However, there's not much instruction for changing settings safely. Looks pretty adventurous! If you figure it out please post :)

Thanks Adam for the welcome! I am a career lurker on forums in general so it's nice to be able to contribute something. And thanks for the extra links. I should have guessed that the clever folks on this forum had already figured out a backdoor and googled for it.

It seems weird that there are expert's "default" calibration settings for improved picture that differ from the factory settings. Doesn't LG have their own experts?

It sounds like the biggest problem with changing settings is you can disable the tv. If I do change anything I should document default settings well, in case I need to reset.

While trying to research potential problems I came across a consumer affairs site with lots of complaints about LGs failing just after the warranty period. More of them were for plasmas than LCDs, but it sounds like the extended warranty is practically required if you want to get your money's worth.

J

jaymz

Enthusiast
jaymz, there is only a degradation of the signal because the tv is by default set to output it as stereo. Adam was just saying you could avoid the service menu and potential headaches by connecting directly. I can't post the direct link yet to the page explaining how to access the service menu, just follow the link that Adam posted. However, there's not much instruction for changing settings safely. Looks pretty adventurous! If you figure it out please post :)
OK, gotcha. Frankly, I'm not that adventurous! Accessing the service menu doesn't look that tough, but until I get specific instructions how to change the Optical output specs, I'm gonna play it safe.

Jim

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It is always preferable to run the peripherals to the receiver via HDMI. The make one connection via HDMI to the TV.

DRM issues are purposely making connecting to the TV and back to the receiver impossible or difficult.

I'm actually surprised this is even possible on the service menu.

The DRM rules now frown on an end device such as a TV outputting HD video or audio. They have not outputted HD video from HDMI ever and now they do not want HD surround audio being outputted form TVs either. They want it downgraded.

In my view DRM is way over the top now.

J

jaymz

Enthusiast
OK, gotcha. Frankly, I'm not that adventurous! Accessing the service menu doesn't look that tough, but until I get specific instructions how to change the Optical output specs, I'm gonna play it safe.

Jim
Well, found a quasi-specific procedure over on on AVS Forums, in posts 30-34 in the LW6500 thread.

Emailed LG; they deny it's possible to change to ACM 5.1 (liars).!

Jim

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well, found a quasi-specific procedure over on on AVS Forums, in posts 30-34 in the LW6500 thread.

Emailed LG; they deny it's possible to change to ACM 5.1 (liars).!

Jim
That's because if they admit it, they are afraid of lawsuits from program producers.

Basically they don't want end devices like TV's to output any high def video or high def multichannel audio. So this needs keeping in mind going forward. Things will only get worse.

We are heading to use the TV speakers, which now generally face the wall, or get a receiver and connect it with one HDMI cable to the TV.

Like it or not, that is where we are heading fast.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That's because if they admit it, they are afraid of lawsuits from program producers.

Basically they don't want end devices like TV's to output any high def video or high def multichannel audio. So this needs keeping in mind going forward. Things will only get worse.

We are heading to use the TV speakers, which now generally face the wall, or get a receiver and connect it with one HDMI cable to the TV.

Like it or not, that is where we are heading fast.
I think broadcast television is going to experience a greater shift to streaming options. Ultimately leading to content being delivered primarily through the internet. Content on demand can be a win-win for movie studios and consumers. They get a stream of steady income while consumers get a stream of what they really want to watch.

HDCP is still a major disaster. There are much better ways to approach the problem IMO.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think broadcast television is going to experience a greater shift to streaming options. Ultimately leading to content being delivered primarily through the internet. Content on demand can be a win-win for movie studios and consumers. They get a stream of steady income while consumers get a stream of what they really want to watch.

HDCP is still a major disaster. There are much better ways to approach the problem IMO.
Streaming is all very well, but you are not going to get widespread streaming of 1080p video and high def loss less audio via streaming, on any large scale. It will be years before the infrastructure has that capacity, if ever.

I have just obtained some BD discs, some of which are absolutely spectacular, especially from the audio standpoint. I am absolutely still stunned, but more about that later.

J

jaymz

Enthusiast
The service menu hacks work! Was able to turn on the DD 5.1 from the TV's optical outputs and well as enable several other features.

Jim

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi everyone. I'm having a frusterating experience with my LG 55LW5700 55" LED 3D tv. I've had it for a week now (purchased at cosco) and for the life of me can't get it to output in 5.1 digital surround to my Sony Stereo. Here's some background info...

- Using HDMI cable from my comcast cable box to TV
- Using HDMI cable from my XBOX 360 to TV
- using OPTICAL output cable to my SONY Receiver.
- TV speakers set to OFF (which greys out all audio adjustments for tv)
- If i use the optical cable directly from cable box (or xbox) to tv- I get 5.1 surround so something is happening during the input / output from the tv

This is the same setup I used when I purchased a Vizio 55" LCD 3D - and had full surround sound from comcast box and the xbox(which later returned to Costco because the terrible 3d mode).

I called LG's helpdesk and after the guy had me fiddle with a bunch of settings in the SETUP menu - he put me on hold and came back saying that the TV will ONLY output a 5.1 surround sound signal if I use a CO-AX cable from my comcast cable box to the TV and said my current HDMI cable is messing up the "direct connection" of audio and that it will only send a PCM signal. I can't wrap my head around this but basically he said my tv is covered under Warranty and a service technition needs to come out and will make an update to the tv so HDMI cables can be used - but I will risk having Lip-Sync problems from my comcast cable provider.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Is there a firmware update that can fix this? I absolutely love the 3d imaging the LG has and I'm doing everything I can to resist the temptation of giving up and returning this for another brand of TV.

Please help - with specific instructions (or links) if this topic has been covered before. I spent 30 minutes browsing this website for the answer.

thanks -

Brian
Yes, that is the rule now. Basically the studios have decided they don't want high quality surround being outputted from a an end device such as a TV anymore, for DRM reasons. The downgrade is actually deliberate.

There is a forcing of going HDMI from peripherals, like you cable box to receiver and then one HDMI cable to the TV. This is pretty close to a done deal in the HDCP codes, if not a done deal already.

You have a receiver, so I don't see the problem. Connect it as above.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis