LFE settings with no subs...only mains?

F

felipe

Audioholic
Hey everyone..its been some time. As the title states, I’m currently not running subs and running my mains full range. Because of this, I know that the mains are receiving all the bass from any bass managed speakers and the LFE channel. My AVR has an “LFE Level” setting to where I can adjust from 0db (default) to -10db, -20db and full-attenuation. I won’t be running subs for the time being, so should I adjust this setting? I read online that the LFE track is recorded 10db less than the other tracks in the mix ( typically )and that AVRs typically set the LFE level to 0db to account for the headroom output of the LFE channel. Any suggestions/advice would be helpfu. Thanks in advance.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hey everyone..its been some time. As the title states, I’m currently not running subs and running my mains full range. Because of this, I know that the mains are receiving all the bass from any bass managed speakers and the LFE channel. My AVR has an “LFE Level” setting to where I can adjust from 0db (default) to -10db, -20db and full-attenuation. I won’t be running subs for the time being, so should I adjust this setting? I read online that the LFE track is recorded 10db less than the other tracks in the mix ( typically )and that AVRs typically set the LFE level to 0db to account for the headroom output of the LFE channel. Any suggestions/advice would be helpfu. Thanks in advance.
The Mains will ONLY get LFE if you turn the subwoofer channel off which it sounds like you did. Keep the LFE at the 0dB position. If you feel the bass is too much for movies, you can adjust it down. Note this is NOT a level control however so it won't usually have a dramatic change in steady state bass level.

F

felipe

Audioholic
The Mains will ONLY get LFE if you turn the subwoofer channel off which it sounds like you did. Keep the LFE at the 0dB position. If you feel the bass is too much for movies, you can adjust it down. Note this is NOT a level control however so it won't usually have a dramatic change in steady state bass level.
Thank you for your input Gene. One of the reasons I asked this question was your YouTube video on ways to hook up powered floorstander (tower) speakers...although in my setup im using passive floorstanders, but some aspects of that video do apply and got me thinking. Just to verify, the bass from the bass managed speakers in my setup get redirected to the mains correct?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis