Lexicon BD-30 Universal Blu-ray Player First Look

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You may be assuming too much, or not... we wont know until someone rips one open. The JVC projector products rarely included any mods in the clones. I think one company did some calibration and software changes.
It is just a guess, and like I said, if they don't do any tweaking under the hood then it is really just not the best idea. They chose it because it is a solid player on which to base their model, but if it is basically the same internally, then I would hope people with deep pockets also had enough sense to do some research.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
These products are aimed at the same buyers who buy equipment like Bose speakers. They have no idea what quality of product they are getting but since they have heard the name and it has been marketed strongly, it must be worth the price.

In this day and age of the internet, there is no excuse for uneducated purchases but it still goes on.

Like my father used to always say,

"Half the people in this world are below average!";)

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
No, the Bose analogy is way off.

If inside is arguably the best Blu-Ray player on the market, then sure - inquiring minds will need to know what they modified. If you're just using it as a digital transport, then there's likely nothing Lex could add to justify the price.

If you're using the analog outputs, then it gets more interesting in my opinion. Oppo's analog outputs sound flat and lifeless. They're my go-to brand for digital, but I'd never use their analog outs. Lexicon's analog outputs on their RT-10 and RT-20 sound wonderful. If your application would benefit from such, then it's a reasonable product.

Cheers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you're using the analog outputs, then it gets more interesting in my opinion. Oppo's analog outputs sound flat and lifeless. They're my go-to brand for digital, but I'd never use their analog outs. Lexicon's analog outputs on their RT-10 and RT-20 sound wonderful. If your application would benefit from such, then it's a reasonable product.
Are you sure you didn't just create those wonderful sounds in your head because those players cost more?

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
Are you sure you didn't just create those wonderful sounds in your head because those players cost more?
No, why would anyone do that if they could save money? Audition different analog output stages in your system yourself - they're typically quite different sounding, only barely correlated with cost of execution.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
No, why would anyone do that if they could save money? Audition different analog output stages in your system yourself - they're typically quite different sounding, only barely correlated with cost of execution.
I've done it, no discernable differences. I've compared my old 1986 Magnavox cd players against a few Pioneer Elites I've owned with no discernable differences, and I did my comparisons with studio grade headphones as well as a few different pairs of speakers.

A prime example of bias at it's finest.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57522

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
the difference of using the analog outs rather than the digital is the built in DAC if you are going into a better DAC than what is built in then the digital out is better .. if you are going into an inferior DAC then the analog will be better ... right?

Did Lexicon do anythign with the DAC's in this unit or is everything the exact same?

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
I've done it, no discernable differences. I've compared my old 1986 Magnavox cd players against a few Pioneer Elites I've owned with no discernable differences, and I did my comparisons with studio grade headphones as well as a few different pairs of speakers.
Then lucky for you that your 1986 Magnavox is your pinnacle of performance. I used to enjoy modding those - good players.

While you've proven a fact for YOU, your results are irrelevant in trying to predict the outcome what other folks may hear.

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
the difference of using the analog outs rather than the digital is the built in DAC if you are going into a better DAC than what is built in then the digital out is better .. if you are going into an inferior DAC then the analog will be better ... right?
Correct. You'd want to use the better DAC in the system, either at the source or at the processor. Given that a Blu-Ray player would be often used for multichannel, typically the horsepower and convenience would say use the processor DAC. However, there are exceptions, such as for playing 2-channel redbook, and the possibility that the source DAC could sound better and make the inconvenience worthwhile.

Did Lexicon do anythign with the DAC's in this unit or is everything the exact same?
That's the golden question. If they just put a thick faceplate on an Oppo, then the snarks are correct. If they put an RT-20 DAC inside, then for limited applications, it has a valid value proposition.

Cheers.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned

If inside is arguably the best Blu-Ray player on the market, then sure - inquiring minds will need to know what they modified. If you're just using it as a digital transport, then there's likely nothing Lex could add to justify the price.

Cheers.
I agree, the Lexicon RT-10 & RT-20 are fabulous Universal sounding players.
This is High End sound here, same as Linn and Esoteric.

Cheers,
Bob

A prime example of bias at it's finest.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57522
Hmmm... I'm taking this with a big grain of salt. ;):D

W

westcott

Audioholic General

Cheers.
I think it is spot on if you look at the numbers included in this link. The DAC's are as good or better than any component tested by Home Theater High Fidelity.

If you can hear the difference, then you are just a better man than the rest of us (dogs too!!)

Oppo Digital DV-983H DVD Test Results

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I find it intriguing that a technology as far along as digital to analog converters that for some reason no one but high end companies seem to have the "good sounding DACs" Considering that most, if not all, current DACs can maintain lineararity within the human hearing spectrum it literally blows my mind that people can still hear a difference when there is no available difference to be heard.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I find it intriguing that a technology as far along as digital to analog converters that for some reason no one but high end companies seem to have the "good sounding DACs" Considering that most, if not all, current DACs can maintain lineararity within the human hearing spectrum it literally blows my mind that people can still hear a difference when there is no available difference to be heard.
That's just the beauty of it. :)

* Something else other than or in tandem with the Dacs, must be a contributor to this.

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
...when there is no available difference to be heard.
There is. Record the output from multiple DACs and do bit-comparisons and you'll find that your statement isn't true. Whether or not it matters is only your value statement and irrelevant to what others may value.

Or easier yet, just listen. Or easier still, feel great that you already have the perfect DAC and stop trying to impose your listening results on others.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think we often say "DACs" as a generic term, but it is the fact that different players handle the D to A differently (or something else in the chain) and that DOES translate into a difference in sound quality IMHO.

My 2900 cost more than my Oppo, but I feel the Oppo sounds better. Does that mean I am biased because the Oppo is new, but cost half the price? The difference I heard was immediate and I wasn't the only one who noticed it.

T

toddrick

Audiophyte
Oppo BDP-83SE?

I wonder if they based this on Oppo's BDP-83SE and not just their BDP-83. Yes it still seems like price gouging for whatever modifications Lexicon did, but less so as the BDP-83SE retails for $900.

Matt34

Matt34

I wonder if they based this on Oppo's BDP-83SE and not just their BDP-83. Yes it still seems like price gouging for whatever modifications Lexicon did, but less so as the BDP-83SE retails for $900.
It's not based on the "SE".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis