Lexicon BD-30 Blu-ray Player (Oppo BDP-83 Clone) Review

C

cynan

Enthusiast
If the BD-30 is a clone of the BDP-83 then wouldn't that make the BDP-83 SE of superior quality compared to the BD-30?
Yes. Yes it would. How's that for audiophile irony?

(I say audiophile b/c I think most of the upgrades on the SE were to enhance the analog audio output stage)

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
If the BD-30 is a clone of the BDP-83 then wouldn't that make the BDP-83 SE of superior quality compared to the BD-30?
That's exactly what I was thinking. It's also why I posted a comment under the HTR review asking "Is that "diminishing returns" market being well-served by the BD-30, or are they being well-served by the BDP-83SE and abused by the BD-30?"

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What can I say, Home Theater Review must have idiot readers.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hey we got slashdotted!

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/1...Blu-ray-Player

What can I say, Home Theater Review must have idiot readers.
Fascinating review they conducted:) The publisher of that site is slamming us saying we are pro-Oppo b/c we sell them in our E-store. Hmm interesting viewpoint considering we posted several articles showing measurable deficiencies of the Oppo BDP-83 and BDP-83SE players.

Example:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/t.../oppo-bdp-83se

Considering the margin on the Oppo is virtually non-existant vs $3k on the Lexicon, by his logic we should be pro-lexicon and get them into the E-store!

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
The reviewer from Home Theater Review said the Oppo and the Lexicon are different based solely on appearance and noise from the BRD, Wow what a hard hitting unbiased review that was:rolleyes:. Gene it's a good thing to have haters that means you are doing something right like telling the truth.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
I still think its a little ridiculous that a consumer will plop down $20k+ (processor, amp, BD player) for a complete solution that makes the player do the decoding instead of the processor but whatever makes people happy I suppose.
Cheapo. :p

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Ya'll don't knock on Lexicon too much. They've inspired me to buy Oppos' BDP-83 players, take out its guts, slap them into an aluminum chasis and paint "Maple Syrup" on the outside. These high end products will sell for $3,500 each. Wish me luck folks.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Kudos to Audioholics for having the nerve to frankly print your findings. I salute you for it!

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Once George Lucas finds out what's been going on with THX; the world will see the rise of a real Lord of the Sith.

Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

Audioholic Intern
Cheers Gene,

This is exactly the reason that I follow your site. Revealing the truth about audio equipment.

Whilst i can afford the $3000 premium for a Lexicon, I see no point in paying for it, as all technology usually gets bettered in the near future, so Oppo wins hands down.

Just like the Sunfire, Sherbourne, Emotiva review...:rolleyes:

The truth is out there!

Keep up the good work,

Dapper Dan ;)

At least another couple of months of mortgage repayments will easier!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I can tell you that reporting our findings like this made us no friends in the industry. We were really disappointed in this as we were hoping Lexicon would have put some cool tweaky parts in the player to give our Audio Precision test gear a nice workout. I love tweaky stuff that can be proven measurably better.

I fear other manufacturers will see this review and be reluctant to send us gear, at least cloned gear that is :rolleyes:

L

Lord Yupa

Audiophyte
Look what you've done!

There is a war a brewing over at Hometheater review.

Seems Jerry, the editor in chief (or whatever), decided to delete a massive amount of comments from a review lavishing praise on the Lexicon, and commenters crying foul.

He aggressively hammered commenters, defending his magazine and accusing them of working for other online mags.

When things got heated, in a panic I guess, he tried to sweep it all under the rug, deleting all the comments save 2, and closing posting.

However many users were able to point out (before their comments were erased) that you can check google's cache.

Sorry I can't post any links, not enough points. :(

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
I can tell you that reporting our findings like this made us no friends in the industry. We were really disappointed in this as we were hoping Lexicon would have put some cool tweaky parts in the player to give our Audio Precision test gear a nice workout. I love tweaky stuff that can be proven measurably better.

I fear other manufacturers will see this review and be reluctant to send us gear, at least cloned gear that is :rolleyes:
This is EXACTLY why you have my admiration.

I will support, via future purchases, the manufacturers that support Audioholics.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
There is a war a brewing over at Hometheater review.

Seems Jerry, the editor in chief (or whatever), decided to delete a massive amount of comments from a review lavishing praise on the Lexicon, and commenters crying foul.

He aggressively hammered commenters, defending his magazine and accusing them of working for other online mags.

When things got heated, in a panic I guess, he tried to sweep it all under the rug, deleting all the comments save 2, and closing posting.

However many users were able to point out (before their comments were erased) that you can check google's cache.

Sorry I can't post any links, not enough points. :(
What an utterly craven act. Home Theater Review just lost any credibility they MIGHT have had. WIMPS! :rolleyes:

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai

Manufacturers should fear your reviews if they are going to send you cloned gear. They should know better your sig says it all, Pursuing the truth in audio & video. And now they want to act surprised and say you hurt their feelings:rolleyes:. Looks like THX is trying to hide the fact it they ever certified it.

http://slashdot.org/story/10/01/16/0336210/THX-Caught-With-Pants-Down-Over-Lexicon-Blu-ray-Player

Last edited:
B

Boerd

Full Audioholic

My BD will be from your shop.audioholics.com (Oppo or a Yamaha or whatever) - right now I don't have the money :eek::eek:
I am so glad somebody's got balls the call it as they see it (measure it). RIght now you won't make many friends with your review(s) but you'll get the deserved respect (I hope) unlike some prostitution websites/magazines that write audio gear reviews without even doing the basic measurements for that gear.

Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

Audioholic Intern
Gene,

Manufacturers that become coy and elusive in providing equipment to be tested by independent reviewers such as Audioholics, identify themselves as unscrupulous and possible shysters in the industry. Do we really want that product anyway then?.

The late David Hafler (I think they called him the grandfather of consumer Hi-Fi if I am not mistaken) produced some very high quality equipment in his era, thus raising the bar and standard of the equipment we all enjoy today. It prompted manufactures to lift their game and provide quality at a reasonable price point, to the mass market.

This is akin to what Emotiva, NAD, Outlaw, Sherbourne, Rotel et al. have done today.

Whilst I have an appreciation for the High End Audiophile equipment, then I expect that they have achieved this through their pursuit of the best of the technology that is currently available (eg Class D, amplification trends today).

In Wrist-Watch parlance's, when you buy a Rolex say, the internal movement (caliber) may very well be a standard ETA SA/ Valjoux movement. In other words, the caliber may be the same as in an Omega, Rolex, Breitling, IWC etc. There maybe modifications to said caliber (complications) and thus should be easily identifiable to the consumer of these high quality watches. (read watch buyers guides/magazines). Then the customer bases their decision on the desirability of the watch, the appearance, jewelry appearance and the possible collectibility of said watch.

The same should apply for Audio Equipment... Oppo certainly does not enjoy the same pedigree as Lexicon (or does it?) in regards to the perceived performance, but from a Brand point of view Oppo can not command the price premium Lexicon does. (eg.Rolox verses Seiko).

The problem is that in Audio circles, if I have a premium brand product, then by that assumption, I must therefore have the best..! Well you may have the best looking faceplate and remote, but the hardware is the same. In order to level the playing field, your review has brought a high profile brand into the spot light and hits a sore point on the Price/performance of the contributing product.

If manufactures are confident in that they have actually modified and tweaked their donor/cloned units, they should offer them for review to determine the benefits of said mod, not just cutting holes in their chassis to provide for cooling. Otherwise, acknowledge that you have a donor/clone and let the consumer decide on the features and appearance issue.

On a personal note: I was in the market for a pre-pro set up, looking to spend a small fortune, but decide to follow one of you recommendations a few years ago. A Yamaha RXV-2600 and an Emotiva MPS-1 as a the power amp...(my first every Yamaha/Emotiva Product, also the lowest priced equipment I had ever bought) yep you were right, great performance for the price. It changed my way off thinking about Audio Gear. Alas, if I had gone on my previous course of acquisition, I would now be left with a up-market processor that is outperformed today buy some middle of the road receivers, in processing terms that is. Now looking for an upgrade to the 2600, to obtain the latest audio formats, video scaling etc...

I suspect you have a loyal following among the members of the forum, so, keep up the good work.

Its lonely at the top.

Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

Audioholic Intern
Manufacturers should fear your reviews if they are going to send you cloned gear. They should know better your sig says it all, Pursuing the truth in audio & video. And now they want to act surprised and say you hurt their feelings:rolleyes:. Looks like THX is trying to hide the fact it they ever certified it.
Touche... couldn't have said it better :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis