Let me try this section...sub Q

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Hey all, I am building a sub for a buddy of mine. Basically it is a, 8' wide x 20" tall by 10" deep box that is going to go up against the wall behind his entertainment center. At one there is a 15" Dayton High Fidelity (finally came out) or a titanic. My question is this, this box volume is going to be around 8 ft^3 and has 2 3" ports about 15" long bringing the tune to 17 Hz with the HF, would I be better of using the Titanic? The HF will go lower but I am worried about excursion with the HF of about 14mm in a big vented box. The titanic has about 20-22 mm xmax. It is primarily for HT and will be run off the dayton 1Kw plate amp. I think the HF will work fine but I don't want it to come apart on those 16 Hz kabooms in movies. Thanks in advance.

Note: as far as the box being rediculous proportions, I understand that some consideration will need to be taken to eliminate difugalies... This is more or less a "which driver would be better: titanic or HF 15""

B

bandit

Audioholic
In a box that big have you thought about going with an 18" driver? I use a JBL4645c pro sub in my system. The driver is a JBL2242H - max peak to peak is 50mm (2in). The box is tuned to 25hz but the driver is very effiecient with 99db/w/m and is rated at 800w. I'm not sure how much motor structure comes into play but the driver has a magnet weight of approx 23lbs. Plays very cleanly in my setup. You can get more info at jblpro.com if you want to explore it.

Just a thought.

Bandit. :)

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
I will look into that. I am basically working on an under $200 driver project with max depth. I will model the JBL and see how low I can get it to dig in a larg box like that. Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis