Legacy Studio HD vs KEF LS50

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think for 70-80 dB sitting 7-9 ft with sealed sub crossed at 100 hz they may be unbeatable, if set up right.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My LS50's with KEF Kube 10b sub bring me unbridled joy at just 3 feet away. It's nothing scientific, but maybe I just got incredibly lucky with the default crossover of the Bluesound Powernode 2 and placement of it to my left. Can't locate the sub (or the speakers for that matter), it's all just there in the central soundstage separate from the equipment. People who have sat in front of it playing their own music are typically dumbstruck hearing things they never heard in the same music before.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I think for 70-80 dB sitting 7-9 ft with sealed sub crossed at 100 hz they may be unbeatable, if set up right.
Unbeatable? Hmm, I assume you're qualifying that with some metrics (price, etc.) and it's not a broad statement regarding stand-mount + sub arrangements.

My LS50's with KEF Kube 10b sub bring me unbridled joy at just 3 feet away. It's nothing scientific, but maybe I just got incredibly lucky with the default crossover of the Bluesound Powernode 2 and placement of it to my left. Can't locate the sub (or the speakers for that matter), it's all just there in the central soundstage separate from the equipment. People who have sat in front of it playing their own music are typically dumbstruck hearing things they never heard in the same music before.
That sounds like an optimal set-up and distance. Enjoy.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Unbeatable? Hmm, I assume you're qualifying that with some metrics (price, etc.) and it's not a broad statement regarding stand-mount + sub arrangements.

That sounds like an optimal set-up and distance. Enjoy.
Even with qualifiers that I stated, it's still so highly subjective that it really means little to others. For example, going by posts on this forum, Ken would likely agree with me, but Kurt, no, forget it..:D I did include price in the qualifier, but edited it out after realizing I couldn't think of one at the $1,000-$1,100 price range that could do better.

Last edited:
E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Well, the LS50s have moved on. They just didn't fully meet my needs for this set-up. As much as I would have liked to keep them I would've had to make compromises that I did not feel the need to make.

I replaced them with Bowers & Wilkins CM6 S2 that I found locally. I am very pleased with what I have gained. Truly a step above. I was so impressed with them in that space that I actually brought my 805 D2s down here to compare side by side but that may be material for another thread...:)

https%3A//i.imgur.com/Vv4yQBml.jpg[/img]']

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Well, the LS50s have moved on. They just didn't fully meet my needs for this set-up.....
I would really be interested in hearing - um, reading - your impressions. I have found from extensive listening and casual comparos that the B&W CM and 7 series go from "nice" to "wow!" once the tweeter is freed from its box (ie, CM6 and now 705) and I'd love to hear how the CM6 stacks up against your 805 D2s.

I'm sorry to hear the LS50 did not work out for you, but I think I understand why, from everything I have read in the previous posts. My experience with the R300 seems have been different from yours as I preferred it over the LS50 for my needs and found them less fussy with regard to setup and programme material. Cheers!

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I would really be interested in hearing - um, reading - your impressions. I have found from extensive listening and casual comparos that the B&W CM and 7 series go from "nice" to "wow!" once the tweeter is freed from its box (ie, CM6 and now 705) and I'd love to hear how the CM6 stacks up against your 805 D2s.
Sure, if there's an interest I'd be more than happy to give you my impressions. Give me some time and I'll start a separate thread. I've already spent some time giving the CM6 S2 & 805 D2 a comparative listen so I have a very good idea what the primary differences are.

I haven't compared the CM6 S2 with the CM5 S1 yet - but you make an interesting point about the tweeter on top. I will probably do so next weekend if I have time. All three speakers have the same Sensitivity rating of 88 dB SPL so conducting fair listening comparisons should be easier to do.

I'm sorry to hear the LS50 did not work out for you, but I think I understand why, from everything I have read in the previous posts.
Yeah me too, I don't want to give the impression that I always play my music at insane levels or I'm a bass freak. I just wanted a speaker that was good all around since I have eclectic musical tastes.

I spent some time listening to the CM6 S2 in their final set-up and here is what I gained over the LS50:

*Much wider soundstage
*Deeper soundstage
*More space/openness within recording
*Precise realistic imaging
*Smoother highs-less strident
*More resolution without pain
*Cleaner/deeper tight bass (what’s there before it disappears)
*Midrange that is more tolerant of closer front wall placement
*Grill covers ;)
*I can now get away without a sub in this room (which I was hoping to do) without getting that boom that some low frequency capable stand mounts can sometimes produce.
*Dynamics without flinching, no noticeable compression or distortion (see graph below- the LS50 would have exploded :oops:).

I'd like everyone to know that I'm not knocking the LS50 in any way, they are what they are. It's what they're designed for. The primary area where I was not critical of them was the vocal midrange, athough I would have preferred a bit more openness in that area but I can see how that would not be a problem (or needed) for true monitoring.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis