36l552

36l552

Audiophyte
Hello everyone. I have a question concerning legacy equipment connection. (cassette, Reel, etc.) I posted this question some weeks ago in another category, and the one person that took time to respond was not helpful. My last AV upgrade was the Rotel 1098 which has served my very well. I am upgrading to 4k (processor, Blu ray player, and display). It seems newer processors omit a tape loop; I have quite a collection of analog media (open reel, cassette, DAT, DCC, and even minidisc) that i still use. To record, is it possible to repurpose the 1098 for connecting my decks and outputting to the newer processor 7.1 front right and left inputs? And if so how would I handle volume control from the older and newer processor; and what output from the older processor would you suggest I use? Any help would be welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This sounds like a good question for @TLS Guy. He has a couple of reel to reel and cassette players he still runs.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hello everyone. I have a question concerning legacy equipment connection. (cassette, Reel, etc.) I posted this question some weeks ago in another category, and the one person that took time to respond was not helpful. My last AV upgrade was the Rotel 1098 which has served my very well. I am upgrading to 4k (processor, Blu ray player, and display). It seems newer processors omit a tape loop; I have quite a collection of analog media (open reel, cassette, DAT, DCC, and even minidisc) that i still use. To record, is it possible to repurpose the 1098 for connecting my decks and outputting to the newer processor 7.1 front right and left inputs? And if so how would I handle volume control from the older and newer processor; and what output from the older processor would you suggest I use? Any help would be welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
What is your new processor, make and model?

36l552

36l552

Audiophyte
Marantz 8805. Wayne, my apologies. I do plan to record. I’ve been into surround since the DSP-1 and am vexed at the lack of at least one tape loop. Would I output from the old processor Preout?

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
…and the one person that took time to respond was not helpful.
The best way to get helpful advice is to give meaningful answers when we ask questions. If a question of “Are you recording?” gets a reply of “I love my dbx cassettes”, there’s not much more to be said.

So – do you still need the capability to record to these legacy mediums, or not?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Connect the Rec Out to an input on the new line inputs if you're going to use most of the HDMI inputs- AVRs and anything with HDMI inputs look for the digital signal first, then analog. If you have a source sending audio over HDMI AND an analog source, you're unlikely to hear the analog source unless the digital source has been turned off. You can select 'None' when setting up the inputs in the menu and for the input that will receive the analog signal, choose 'Analog' for the input jacks that will be used. Whatever happens after it reaches the Marantz is up to you.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Marantz 8805. Wayne, my apologies. I do plan to record.
Okay, now we’re getting somewhere!

The connection scheme is actually pretty easy. Just connect your Rotel’s Record Out to an input on the Marantz – let’s say the one labeled “Media Player.” This way, any legacy component selected on the Rotel will play on the Marantz.

Now, send the Marantz Zone 2 (or 3) output to the Rotel’s “Play In” jacks. This will send signal from the Marantz to the Rotel for recording.

The only possible caveat is whether or not you’ll be able to record digital sources from components connected to the Marantz. Most components these days (like blu-ray or DVRs) only have digital outputs (HDMI). In order for this to work, the Marantz will have to convert the digital signals to analog to send via Zone 2 (or 3). I know some receivers (or processors as the case may be) do this conversion for the Zone outputs, but it’s not clear from the manual if the 8805 will or not (p 173 and following). If it doesn’t, you might want to return it and get something else.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis