LCDs Overtake and Outsell CRTs in Q3 2004!

<P><FONT face=Arial size=2>Is this the start of the turn towards the elimination of the bulky CRT? Looks like it - at least in the 15"-17" market. DisplaySearch, the worldwide leader in flat panel display market research and consulting, indicated in its latest Quarterly Desktop Monitor Shipment and Forecast Report that worldwide LCD desktop monitor shipments rebounded in Q3'04, overtaking CRT monitors with a 50% to 49% advantage. While Q3'04 witnessed significant panel price reductions beginning in June, these prices were not passed along to consumers and corporate buyers at a street price level until later in Q3'04 due to high channel inventories, causing shipments to fall below 16% Q/Q growth expectations. Q4'04 LCD monitor shipments are expected to rise even faster, growing 18% Q/Q to 19.9M units to earn a 54% share.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Arial size=2>There are a ton of additional interesting facts and statistics&nbsp;in this article which I recommend everyone read. As LCD manufacturing costs go down and inventories sell out, new replacement inventory, bought at lower prices, allows the flat panel prices to drop significantly. Couple this with a holiday buying season and you have the recipe for a nice jumpstart towards the transition to flat panel goodness.&nbsp;</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Arial size=2>[Read the Article]</FONT></P>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I've got a 19" CRT, but finally the LCDs are getting fast enough that I could live with one. Viewsonic's new line of LCDs have a 12 ms response time, as do some other new monitors. Even gamers should be able to live with that (althought the resolution is a tad lower than the best CRTs).

The best monitor I've ever seen is a 21" CRT by Viewsonic. From what I've seen, LCD is gonna have to eat its Wheaties to approach that bad boy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis