gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Is LCD TV dead? With Samsung exiting that market, it very well could be.

Like CRT and plasma TVs in years past, LCD TV is reaching the end of its life, at least in the high-end market. Longtime LCD champion Samsung is ceasing production of LCD panels, and starting to build its own custom version of OLED TVs that will utilize quantum dot technology. Will Samsung be able to compete with Sony and LG whom are already dominating that market?

thewall.jpg

Read: Samsung Ends LCD TV Production

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm still rocking the Panasonic 42 inch VT30 I bought in 2011, but for some time I've considered to replace it with a larger OLED TV that has no fan. Perhaps this year I'll upgrade.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Great article Gene. I still have my Pioneer Kuro's -- the last model year they produced and they look fantastic. I had compared them to a Samsung Q90 and they really held their own -- especially in the black level department.

Samsung's new QD-OLED technology might be the only system that could move me out of the Plasma realm. From what I understand, QD-OLED is supposed to have 50-100% higher brightness than standard OLED panels. That combined with Samsung's best in class anti-reflection technology could be a huge win for them and customers alike.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Nice article Gene. I believe I will hold on to my LCD TVs for now. Maybe on my next purchase....

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I think Sharp will be making Samsung LCD panels from now on.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think Sharp will be making Samsung LCD panels from now on.
Did Sharp keep the panel plants when they sold the TV branding? I had thought they got out of the TV business totally.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This tech might finally convince me to purchase a Samsung TV. Granted, their software will still be terrible.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah I could see Liquid crystal display coming to a end. Dot does seem to be to newest thing now. Samsung lead the way first with killing off Plasma or was it Pioneer? anyways don’t they have those new HDTV Shaped like a cell phone now? hell I’m waiting for those HDTV’s like we see on them Star Trek show’s where it’s just the Holograph screen that pops up! Talk about virtual reality!! :p;)

K

Kursun

Enthusiast
I wouldn't wonder what Samsung, the champion of the 10V 12V capacitor scandal is doing now.
I never buy anything made by Samsung.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't wonder what Samsung, the champion of the 10V 12V capacitor scandal is doing now.
I never buy anything made by Samsung.
Oh yeah forgot about that, had a Samsung plasma 51” back in 2010 lasted about 18 months if I remember right. Never bought anything Samsung ever again same with Onkyo AVR or HarmanKardon. it was Trace back to Taiwan where they made those Capacitors don’t Quote me on that I Slept since then

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I'm not a fan of Samsung for anything. They are arrogant and do not play well with others. Wait till you see the prices on these Samsung QD-OLED displays. They are gonna be insanely expensive and in short time you'll be able to get a Vizio OLED that is 95% of the performance for 50% more less money. The cycle begins with spending double the money for 5% difference. My theory is hell no.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

S

Sleqzypig

Audioholic Intern
It's to bad because I really like my Samsung Qled I bought last year. I get good color out of it without worrying about burn in. I just hope micro led becomes a thing when it's time for me to replace this set.

K

Kursun

Enthusiast
This tech might finally convince me to purchase a Samsung TV. Granted, their software will still be terrible.
What tech?
Samsung is famous for using 10V capacitors instead of 16V capacitors on their TVs for more than a decade. Those TVs became faulty after a few years, usually just after the warranty period is over. What's more they didn't tell their repair services to put correct capacitors in those TVs that came for repair. Later they spent a grand total of money to clear/bribe internet about such news. Probably more than they spent on their technology...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What tech?
Samsung is famous for using 10V capacitors instead of 16V capacitors on their TVs for more than a decade. Those TVs became faulty after a few years, usually just after the warranty period is over. What's more they didn't tell their repair services to put correct capacitors in those TVs that came for repair. Later they spent a grand total of money to clear/bribe internet about such news. Probably more than they spent on their technology...
The new panel tech mentioned in the article that started this thread.

I honestly don't think I'd buy one of the TVs even if they have the best panel just because I pretty much refuse to purchase Samsung products. Partly due to their failures, but also because the software they use on all of their stuff is usually terrible. Or they quit updating things and issues never get resolved.

Hopefully they'll still sell panels to Sony and other manufacturers that actually make decent TVs.

Sure wish Panasonic would sell in the US again.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Panasonic professional displays are sold and used widely across the US. Panasonic just has lousy international marketing and sales capability. They don't know how to operate here.

I am on my second Samsung display. My first one, a 8000 series TV from around 2010 or so, is still working fine, but was replaced a couple of years ago by a 85" Samsung LCD.

So far, no issues.

LG is not one bit better with a swath of failures for similar reasons. Capacitors popping and bringing the whole TV down. I wouldn't recommend a LG TV for years, but they do seem to have slightly improved.

All these manufacturers, in recent years, seem to be pretty much in line in terms of failure rates. It's very low, but it is always those failures which bring out a very vocal crowd.

Frankly, I would like a 80"+ OLED at some point in the future, but I may opt for a 900 series Sony.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
LOL, those of us old enough remember when 'LG' was 'Goldstar', Korean junk ! Change a name and everybodys darling............ their refrigerators are horrible IMO.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
LOL, those of us old enough remember when 'LG' was 'Goldstar', Korean junk ! Change a name and everybody darling............ their refrigerators are horrible IMO.
They were goldstar! Ha, that was junk. Oh my God I didn't know that. Wow interesting.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
LOL, those of us old enough remember when 'LG' was 'Goldstar', Korean junk ! Change a name and everybodys darling............ their refrigerators are horrible IMO.
Man I didn't know that either and would not have considers buying a Goldstar product. Thanks for the info!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I remember GoldStar. Looking at wikipedia, they were GoldStar until 2002. Their TVs were still overpriced garbage in 2009 when I was in sales. Couldn't get anyone to buy them. Panasonic was easy then. Granted, LCD wasn't anything compared to what it is now, and most other plasmas weren't any good. Memories. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Panasonic professional displays are sold and used widely across the US. Panasonic just has lousy international marketing and sales capability. They don't know how to operate here.

Right, but those are VERY expensive and are primarily used for editing and mastering right?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis