Lava LSP-12 and BIC PL-200, specs aren't the final word, are they?

F

flycaster

Audioholic Intern
I've repaired (new foam surround) my 10-year old Paradigm PDR-10 and am now testing it to see if I want to keep it. If I feel that it wasn't doing a good enough job (80% TV/movies and 20% music, on Paradigm Monitor v3 mains and Paradigm Cinema v1 rears, Paradigm CC170 center in a room 17x25x10 peaking to 15 ceiling and open at the other 17" end), I originally was considering a Lava LSP-12, but now am working the BIC PL-200 into the mix. BTW, I am not an audiophile and I know that these are budget subs and I don't expect them to do more than what they are worth.

From this probably well-known review (Home Subwoofers Review 2013 | Powered Subwoofers | Best Home Theater Subwoofer - TopTenREVIEWS) of budget subs, the PL-200 came in first and the Lava fifth. Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind hearing some comments about these two subs from those who know that specs and tests aren't everything...

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I originally was considering a Lava LSP-12, but now am working the BIC PL-200 into the mix. BTW, I am not an audiophile and I know that these are budget subs and I don't expect them to do more than what they are worth.

From this probably well-known review (Home Subwoofers Review 2013 | Powered Subwoofers | Best Home Theater Subwoofer - TopTenREVIEWS) of budget subs, the PL-200 came in first and the Lava fifth.
TopTenReviews is neither 'well-know' or well regarded, so I'm not sure you can realistically consider them an authority. Here's what they said about the PL-200: The BIC Acoustech PL-200 sets the standard by which all other home subwoofers are judged. That's laughable, to say the least, but on to your question...

Between the PL-200 and LSP-12 I'd take the former myself, because the Lava is essentially a fart box. The BIC is better, but still not terribly articulate. However, you already seem to understand that the subwoofers you're looking at have some limitations, so going into it with your eyes wide open means you'll probably find the PL-200 to be pretty solid. And it is.

F

flycaster

Audioholic Intern
You know, that was my feeling in that the Lava wouldn't be quite as good as the BIC, but needed some referencing.

M

Marcus Kuenzer

Audiophyte
I own a LSP12 and I'm really happy with it, I got it for $280 with a discount. This thread has a direct comparison. Lava subs

T

Travis T

Enthusiast
I don't have a comparison to the Lava sub, but I have a Bic PL200. If you are mainly interested in home theater/games, it is decent for the price. I preferred it to a Polk psw505 subwoofer if that means anything. The real downside to the BIC is it sounds really "muddy" compared to more expensive subs. It has good output for the price but isn't very musical.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis