Larger bookshelf speakers

R

real_shark

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

I have been playing with a new setup in my new living roon, for which I wanted to have the speakers on the wall, however after some auditioning I have completely changed my mind and rearranged everything to be able to have a better speaker placement... And I now can have larger bookshelf speakers. I researched a lot in the forum, then I opened a couple threads on this and I got really good valuable feedback, thanks!

This means that going from the DALI oberon 3 or Wharfedale evo 4.1 being almost too big... to being able to fit something like the Wharfedale evo 4.2.

I am considering the following - regular sized bookshelf:

DALI oberon 3 - 390€
B&W 606 - 500€
B&W 706 S2 - Around 880€ (almost out of the equation at this price).
KEF LS50 - 800€ (almost out of the equation at this price).
KEF LS50 Meta - 1010€ (almost out of the equation at this price).

But I am also considering the following - bigger sized bookshelf:

Wharfedale evo 4.2 - 530€

Prices are for the pair.

I am quite leaning towards the Wharfedale evo 4.2, I am hoping to be able to audition them soon but in the mean time, ¿Can you give me a hand?

I am looking for "larger" sized bookshelf speakers that are hopefully between 35cm and 55cm high and can compete with the speakers I am presenting and take an advantage of the bigger size. I have found almost nothing in these sizes.

Thanks,
RS.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Honestly i've not heard any of the above but i've always wanted to heard them Wharfdale EVO's and the 4.2 look BOSS! Hope whatever you settle on is pleasant to your ears. If you end up with the Wharfdale's, i'd like to heard your review on them.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
"Boss"?

The '60s called- they want their adjective back. :)

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I would consider the Revel Concerta 2 M16 at the price point you are mentioning. I have heard this and the KEF LS50meta and if not purchasing the Paradigm Founders Edition 40B, I would have purchased the Revel speakers. They are that good.

highfigh

highfigh

Boss hoss maybe but just Boss is used allot in today's slang. Not to mention everything's coming back, from the 70s-90s.
Boss was used extensively by girls in California (no offense) and I first heard it when my aunt, uncle and their three daughters came to visit. If I heard "That's so boss!" once, I heard it 1000 times while they were here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Boss was used extensively by girls in California (no offense) and I first heard it when my aunt, uncle and their three daughters came to visit. If I heard "That's so boss!" once, I heard it 1000 times while they were here.
When I lived in California (only 40 plus years) there were great differences between slang in various parts. We had all sorts, it's a big state. Can't say I heard boss much but spent most of my time in northern california, which was fairly different from southern california, especially the cities vs sticks and all that....

LOL urban dictionary has this from 2010 for that's boss:
Used as a way of saying something or someone is stupid, ridiculous, and gay. A form of replacing the word that's gay. When someone says "that's boss" they are referring to something or someone that they do not like
(never heard it used in this respect myself)

Then in 2015 its
That's awesome!!
Hey man, I'm going to go have a few drinks and then hit some surf!
-that's boss!!
(this is more what I heard in socal)

highfigh

highfigh

When I lived in California (only 40 plus years) there were great differences between slang in various parts. We had all sorts, it's a big state. Can't say I heard boss much but spent most of my time in northern california, which was fairly different from southern california, especially the cities vs sticks and all that....

LOL urban dictionary has this from 2010 for that's boss:
Used as a way of saying something or someone is stupid, ridiculous, and gay. A form of replacing the word that's gay. When someone says "that's boss" they are referring to something or someone that they do not like
(never heard it used in this respect myself)

Then in 2015 its
That's awesome!!
Hey man, I'm going to go have a few drinks and then hit some surf!
-that's boss!!
(this is more what I heard in socal)
In 1966, 9-12 year old girls were using it as "That's so cool!" and for me and my brother, it quickly became "That's so annoying!", so we would parrot them just to try to get them to stop. They lived in Temple City, next to El Monte.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Well here in Florida " that's Boss " means it's awesome and is not gender related. I'm not sure Why the F#@k this has become a childish he said she said BullSh*t over someone, ME, just stating the very fact I like a fu#king speaker.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@real-shark Good luck with you budget and selection. Read as many reviews as you can.

R

real_shark

Audioholic Intern
I would consider the Revel Concerta 2 M16 at the price point you are mentioning. I have heard this and the KEF LS50meta and if not purchasing the Paradigm Founders Edition 40B, I would have purchased the Revel speakers. They are that good.
Thanks!

I have been looking for these in my area, they are not that popular/easy to find.

Which is the best price you found for them?

Thanks,
RS.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Prices are $2200 for the Paradigm Founders 40b and for the Revel M16 $900 per pair for both speakers

R

real_shark

Audioholic Intern
Prices are $2200 for the Paradigm Founders 40b and for the Revel M16 $900 per pair for both speakers
I know Paradigm since 20 years ago when I was looking for my first pair of speakers (which I still happily have). Paradigm and NHT were in the list, but my budget was not enough for those brands.

Price for the Revel M16 are around 1100€ for the pair + they are not easy to find, I think I won't spend that much.

I will be auditing the Wharfedale Evo 4.2 this weekend, I have vey high expectations on those ones.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Considering modern towers are slim line , just tall bookshelves with extra drivers . Consider those being superior to bookshelves.

R

real_shark

Audioholic Intern
Considering modern towers are slim line , just tall bookshelves with extra drivers . Consider those being superior to bookshelves.
I am not sure I follow you.

Do you mean the Wharfedales?

R

real_shark

Audioholic Intern
are any of these speakers an upgrade on Dali 3??
They do look nice no I meant actually tower speaker they use same amount of space , and are slim line .
I see the bookshelves are half the price ;
I quite agree with you, if I was going to place these on stands a freestanding alternative would be better.

However this is not the case, the speakers will go on existing surfaces in this setup, so vertical size is also a constraint.

RS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis