Laptops to Eliminate Spinning Hard Drives?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Following up on Sony's announcement of a 32GB solid state drive (SSD) option in its new Vaio Type-G line, Dell yesterday announced the availability of an SSD option its Latitude D420 and D620 notebooks. The idea behind SSD is that, with solid state technology, the notebooks break before the drives do. They are twice as resilient to force and sudden impacts than a standard HDD platter.

Discuss "Laptops to Eliminate Spinning Hard Drives?" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds great to me, but hopefully the prices will come down quickly while the capacity goes up.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Its about time, and in all honesty, the industry is just going to raise the prices, for this implimentation, even though it is a non moving item, and easier to build, so more cost effective.

Should have gone this direction a long time ago...

Warp

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Hard drives are always the first thing to break on laptops (except, sometimes, those tiny fans).

Cool development.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They WOULD have done it a long time ago, but it wasn't until now that it is so cheap to produce such large capacity media like this for so cheap. Guess what spurred this development in part? MP3 players.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Glad to finally see this coming, by the time I am ready for an upgrade in the computer department size should have gone up with price drops. It will also be nice to see the drop in weight since I carry my laptop with me everywhere.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Now that I have this big honking laptop for work I hope so to....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's funny this article popped up as I was on Newegg yesterday looking at maybe getting a 4GB compact flash card and right in their search break out options was a 32GB option... I was like WTF??? Clicked on it and they have what appears to be a nearly identical drive for a bit under 500 bucks.

Considering my 160GB drive cost me well under 100 bucks, it's not exactly chump change to go this route, but it remains totally amzing that it is possible at all.

Matt34

Matt34

It's funny this article popped up as I was on Newegg yesterday looking at maybe getting a 4GB compact flash card and right in their search break out options was a 32GB option... I was like WTF??? Clicked on it and they have what appears to be a nearly identical drive for a bit under 500 bucks.

Considering my 160GB drive cost me well under 100 bucks, it's not exactly chump change to go this route, but it remains totally amzing that it is possible at all.
Give it six months.;)

T

trailertrash

Enthusiast
there are hacks to get these to work in the ipod models that have drives. pretty cool since its the drives that die first on most ipods.

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
I would imagine this will lead to solid state drives for DVR's, such as TiVo's. That should reduce about 75% of the noise they make.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
also lets not forget about the benefits that the lack of heat will also provide in this implementation as well...
No more noisy spinning HD's is great... Love it. Hurry up...

I got 2 terabytes of storage space i my basement that I want to replace with this.. :rolleyes: :eek:

O

Ohmen

Audioholic
My interest lies in the increased access speed. The implementation that I am looking forward to is the hybrid drives that will have both the SSD and traditional hard drive combined. A fast SSD partition for the OS and programs, a hard drive for the data. This will allow the drive to be a acceptable size drive while making the boot and program access much faster.

majorloser

majorloser

I would hope this will make tablet PC's and "toughbooks" all the more durable. We use a lot of "toughbook" laptops and vehicle mount units at work. The Florida heat and road vibration take their tolls on PC's.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis